Super Dynamics

Maveric

Fight for yor Right!
Reaction score
Hi all,

do you have more informations about this aircraft by Super Dynamics?

Thanks Maveric

Attachments

• L_K_1976-24_Page_40_Image_0001.jpg
    L_K_1976-24_Page_40_Image_0001.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 803
FLIGHT International said:
FLIGHT International. 5 June 1976, page 1488
For the executive in a hurry
A newly announced super-sonic business-jet project is claimed by its designers to have amassed 38 orders. The 04-1B Robin stems from Super Dynamics International, which considers that there will be a market for 250 supersonic business jets by 1985. The project is to be powered by two General Electric J97-17 engines, each rated at 11,7501b sea-level thrust. Gross weight is to be 52,1501b and the cabin will accommodate two pilots and eight passengers. The Robin will be designed to cruise at Mach 2 at up to 60,000ft for a range of 3,200 n.m. Take-off distance at maximum weight will be 6,000ft and landing distance 4,260ft. Super Dynamics suggests that the price will be $7 million and adds that "detailed studies indicate [the aircraft] will qualify to fly over land masses without an annoying sonic boom."
Sources: http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1976/1976%20-%200950.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Electric_J97

Attachments

• Super Dynamics International_04_1B Robin.jpg
    Super Dynamics International_04_1B Robin.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 632
It was a hoax. I think somebody did it at the Aviation/Space Writers' Association annual meeting, and the Flight editor involved got suckered.

However, he was apparently of high enough rank to avoid having to eat crow in public.

I see possible components there from Concorde, Vigilante and Boeing 2707, but I suspect that the main subcontractors included Revell and Monogram.

Also, since there was not only a hoax but a misprint as well (J97 instead of J79) the tale is enshrined in Wackypedia's J97 entry.

LowObservable said:
It was a hoax. I think somebody did it at the Aviation/Space Writers' Association annual meeting, and the Flight editor involved got suckered. However, he was apparently of high enough rank to avoid having to eat crow in public. I see possible components there from Concorde, Vigilante and Boeing 2707, but I suspect that the main subcontractors included Revell and Monogram. Also, since there was not only a hoax but a misprint as well (J97 instead of J79) the tale is enshrined in Wackypedia's J97 entry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo
Damn, when I first saw the picture yesterday, my first thought was that it was an April Fool. Just like the Klagenfurt Kf 255 etc.

LowObservable said:
I see possible components there from Concorde, Vigilante and Boeing 2707, but I suspect that the main subcontractors included Revell and Monogram.

...Airfix may have been involved as well.

Robin 'classified' report surfaced at ePay back in 2004

This Prospectus Includes :
The Design Study Reviews ... Cut-Aways ... Flight Profile ... Range ...
Payloads ... World Map Range : China / Australia / Africa / Europe / Etc. ... Climb Profile ... Thrust Weight Comnparison ... Noise Objectives ...
Sound Level Comparisons With Concorde ... Boeing SST ... 707 ... DC 8 ... Sonic Boom Chart ... Operating Costs ... Maint. Costs ... Crew Costs ...
An SSBT Market Estimate ... Domestic & Foreign Sales Projections ... Break Even Analysis ... Production Costs ... Investment Break Even ... Etc ...
Photographs of the Mock Up ...

Attachments

• Robin eBay lot.jpg
    Robin eBay lot.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 412
  • Robin.png
    Robin.png
    184.7 KB · Views: 405
  • Robin 2.png
    Robin 2.png
    85.8 KB · Views: 394
Chasing down some General Electric J97 stuff and came across the Flight International item on the "Super Dynamics 04-1B Robin" and then this thread.

The "04-1B" model number was a nice "April Fool's"-touch. :D