Sukhoi Su-57 / T-50 / PAK FA - flight testing and development Part II [2012-current]

It's rather puzzling to me that many main stream sources don't follow the Su-57 all that closely.

They only recently heard of this noise from the radar blockers and many thought it caused by other intake interactions.

And don't get me started on the other stupid stuff said about it on Twitter threads.

News sources I use are izvestia, ria, bmpdlivejournal, rostec news, tass, vesti, naukatehnika, and vpk news. Of course nothing beats getting aviation news straight from lockheed or sukhoi regarding aircrafts or companies dealing with aviation weapons and electronics

News sources I use are izvestia, ria, bmpdlivejournal, rostec news, tass, vesti, naukatehnika, and vpk news. Of course nothing beats getting aviation news straight from lockheed or sukhoi regarding aircrafts or companies dealing with aviation weapons and electronics
One should be carefull claiming one source is better vs other sources. But i do read CombatAircraft Monthly, International Air and so on. Some of the stuff is mediocre, some the stuff about Russian Aviation is actually quite good.. and yes some of their stuff is bad. But articles in general is better written(compared to theavionist.com) from people whom has a long standing expirience with Aviation.
And yes i do use some of the sources you mention above too.

Last edited:

From few days ago. Guess Russia sees the opportunity in Turkey. On the other hand, regardless of if it will fail or succeed (let's forget about it for a second), their own TF-X is as big as Flankers. It also seems like the Turkish engineers are very confident about their plans so I don't really think it will materialize... as of yet.

Let's be honest: being very confident and really achieving something are two very different things.
Well, if they're not confident how would a project start in the first place? So every failed projects had confident engineers at first I would say. You know, unless the engineers are against it but decision makers just push it through.

It seems unlikely that Turkey gets F-35, so I suppose The Sultan might as well jump into bed with the Russians with both feet.

Let's be honest: being very confident and really achieving something are two very different things.

Turkey hmmm lets see what their past articles claim.

100+ syrian tanks destroyed in a very small squabble with Syria when they are the ones that signed a ceasefire agreement with Russia as seen with Erdogan sitting next to Putin under a Catherine the great statue.
Engineers stating they will boost the SOM from a 100nmi to 2,500km range https://www.haberturk.com/ekonomi/teknoloji/haber/705814-tubitak-2014-hedefi
Crediting their TB2 for destroying 1980s Armenian S-300s when it was an Israeli kamikaze drone.
I am sure there is more if I try.

Avia.pro, the aviationist, even the onion don't got shit on Turkish claims. I mean sure the U.S. and Russia do tend to BS a little but nothing compared to the likes of Turkey. I am having a hard time trying to follow the news on the TAI TFX than I do with the Su-57, F-35 or F-22(modernization plan news) because of this.

That statement by the Russian side is extremely generic.

It doesn't mean Su-57 deliveries are actually being considered (and I don't think they would, not while Turkey is still in NATO).

Wait... Have we heard the USAF about that in their quest for the ultimate 4.5++ gen fighter?

280435.jpg

Sorry for being random but can the estimated 6 meter GZUR with a 1,500kg weight be carried externally like the Kab-1500 on the Su-57? I will kick back and relax until further details like the Gremlin come later.

Wait... Have we heard the USAF about that in their quest for the ultimate 4.5++ gen fighter?
It's 2021 and you're seriously trying to claim that the Su-57 isn't a fifth gen?

Rostec doesn't actually do anything
It's 2021 and you're seriously trying to claim that the Su-57 isn't a fifth gen?

I think Tomcat is more implying a 4.5++++ gen makes even less sense with proliferating 5th gens (whenever that is).

But, don't worry, I am sure WarIsBoring will soon print an article claiming the F-15EX is a more advanced air-frame than the Su-57.
They are still figuring out that the Su-57 was never in risk of being cancelled though, it might take a while.

not while Turkey is still in NATO
Though, how long more will that remain the case?
Probably indefinitely; there is no mechanism to remove them unless they themselves quite the organization, which seems incredibly unlikely. If nothing else they'd want to remain part of NATO just to remove Article 5 as a consequence of any conflict with Greece.

Upgraded 30mm gun test.

Attachments

• A8846FE4-F160-48CD-B078-A9CB1CA052B0.jpeg
    A8846FE4-F160-48CD-B078-A9CB1CA052B0.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 5CA16A90-7C43-4C10-B92F-825D170C0166.jpeg
    5CA16A90-7C43-4C10-B92F-825D170C0166.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 102
So here is a question for you!
They still opt for a big 30mm autocanon on the Felon.
And on most if not every Flanker, there they put on a extra protection skin for the muzzle force and heat.

So now they can do without, and never mind the more senitive skin of a 5th gen fighter here?

Last edited:
RVV-MD_KURGANPRIBOR_ARMIA-2019_02.jpg

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...-to-air-missile-since-the-end-of-the-cold-war

"As well as being more compact to fit in the weapons bays, the K-74M2 importantly adds a seeker from the Russian Azov AOMZ company, plus a rocket motor with increased burn time, for longer range."

the author writes, explaining that the modernization of the R-74M (or M1), which has improved defeat capabilities and increased detection range at the GSN, was presented only in 2016. A further version of the P-74M2, which involves the replacement of infrared GSN, is in the final stages of testing.
A completely new product should be 300M. However, the current R-74M1 missile in its export form RVV-MD "faces growing problems in traditional markets."
China has a much more powerful infrared-guided MISSILE, the PL-10, while India has purchased a "British missile" ASRAAM for some of its non-Russian-made aircraft and is exploring the possibility of integrating it with the Su-30MKI.

So K-74M is where they are at, The K-74M2 has a longer range, better seeker and reduced cross section(smaller size or stealth material) and the Izdeliye 300M is to replace the Archer series?

One way or another, the presented layout looks like a cruise missile, and its appearance speaks of the use of stealth technologies. The aircraft is built according to a normal scheme, it has a wing that can be folded in flight and a V-shaped tail. The fuselage received a curved top surface and an almost flat bottom. The design of the bow indicates the use of a radio-transparent fairing. An air intake recessed into the fuselage is provided in the central part of the product. The nozzle is flat with a V-shaped cut.

According to the source of RIA Novosti, the length of the Molniya vehicle will reach 1,5 m, and the wingspan will be 1,2 m. The weight of the product has not been disclosed, but the payload is indicated at the level of 5-7 kg. UAVs of this appearance can be transported by different carrier aircraft. In particular, it will be able to fit into the internal compartments of the Su-57 fighter.

According to the same source, the Molniya's turbojet propulsion system will provide a flight at a speed of 700-800 km / h. The flight range is hundreds of kilometers. The start will be carried out from the carrier. Landing method unknown.

The Molniya project proposes to transport light drones on carrier aircraft of various types. A wide range of vehicles is considered in this capacity - from promising Su-57 fighters to converted military transport aircraft. It is also possible to use light UAVs together with the heavy S-70 "Okhotnik". Obviously, different carriers will carry a different number of light drones, and this will affect the organization of combat work.

New drones are being developed for swarm use. Several vehicles must fly and perform the task together - independently or in interaction with a manned aircraft. Such functions are the main goal of the project, towards which all efforts will be directed.

1614691238_molnija-3.jpg

Reminds me of the Xzibit meme, Yo dawg I heard you like drones, so I created a heavy drone you can control to control several other drones.

I am still trying to find the appeal here of using this drone.

Su-57 flying 100kms in the back with the Su-70 in the front, while the Su-70 uses those drones to hunt personnel or automobiles because of its fairly light payload?

Su-57 flying 100kms in the back with the Su-70 in the front, while the Su-70 uses those drones to scout for an aerial target with dual homing (active/passive) capabilities? claimed turbojet engine and speeds makes me assume its speeds are for higher altitude purposes than regular drones for air to ground missions and that the payload is enough for aerial targets. Or sharing their homing capabilities to its other lightning drones, su-70 and Su-57 to decide when to fire air to air missiles. Swarm suggests air fighters engaging them until they run out of missiles?

Last edited:
So here is a question for you!
They still opt for a big 30mm autocanon on the Felon.
And on most if not every Flanker, there they put on a extra protection skin for the muzzle force and heat.

So now they can do without, and never mind the more senitive skin of a 5th gen fighter here?

It isn't exactly a big gun (46kg). It is half the weight of a 20mm Vulcan cannon (even the light weight A2 version) and the 27mm Bk-27 used in Europe...

It only carries 150 rounds, and fires them with a 25 round cutoff... and there is no need to fire it outside of combat (except perhaps for calibration).

yeah they have clearly minimized it to an extreme degree. kind of a one in a million last ditch weapon.