• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Sukhoi Su-57 / T-50 / PAK FA - flight testing and development Part II

stealthflanker

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
It would be challenging to find space in that small form factor. Being able to fit inside weapon bay would mean the missile would be constrained to about 4.5 m in length and some 40 cm in diameter. In such geometry tho.. the launch weight could be about 800 Kg, range could be about 450 km. Assuming ISP of 1200 sec.
You are assuming a conventional warhead though; a tactical atomic warhead could be made quite compact indeed. Or alternatively, it could possibly be fitted with a solid state EMP warhead, though that could be more bulky than a compact atomic device depending on the design.

Well space tho is reaaly premium. Ramjet, scramjet or HGV requires rocket to boost it to the operational speed. That 800 Kg "budget" and volumetrics would have been occupied mostly by the rocket booster and the combustion chamber.

The rocket booster itself will take about 3.17 meter in length. While the scramjet combustion chamber, being a function of the speed of the intake air will have 1.7 m in length. Some part of the booster will have to be inside the scramjet's combustion chamber during boost phase, before released and leaving the chamber empty for ramjet combustion to take place. With the constrain of the internal bay, you will have the following :

The scram.png

You see, you have like only 1.4 m and 40 cm width to put everything, which would be challenging.

tequilashooter

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
cant walt to see the actual size of the missile itself, since it has a better chance getting equipped than the klevok-d2.

Max weapon bay width is estimated at 1 meter correct?

Last edited:

Cannonfodder43

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
It's rather puzzling to me that many main stream sources don't follow the Su-57 all that closely.

They only recently heard of this noise from the radar blockers and many thought it caused by other intake interactions.

And don't get me started on the other stupid stuff said about it on Twitter threads.

tequilashooter

Reaction score
News sources I use are izvestia, ria, bmpdlivejournal, rostec news, tass, vesti, naukatehnika, and vpk news. Of course nothing beats getting aviation news straight from lockheed or sukhoi regarding aircrafts or companies dealing with aviation weapons and electronics

haavarla

Reaction score
News sources I use are izvestia, ria, bmpdlivejournal, rostec news, tass, vesti, naukatehnika, and vpk news. Of course nothing beats getting aviation news straight from lockheed or sukhoi regarding aircrafts or companies dealing with aviation weapons and electronics
One should be carefull claiming one source is better vs other sources. But i do read CombatAircraft Monthly, International Air and so on. Some of the stuff is mediocre, some the stuff about Russian Aviation is actually quite good.. and yes some of their stuff is bad. But articles in general is better written(compared to theavionist.com) from people whom has a long standing expirience with Aviation.
And yes i do use some of the sources you mention above too.

Last edited:

Maro.Kyo

Reaction score

From few days ago. Guess Russia sees the opportunity in Turkey. On the other hand, regardless of if it will fail or succeed (let's forget about it for a second), their own TF-X is as big as Flankers. It also seems like the Turkish engineers are very confident about their plans so I don't really think it will materialize... as of yet.

Maro.Kyo

Reaction score
Let's be honest: being very confident and really achieving something are two very different things.
Well, if they're not confident how would a project start in the first place? So every failed projects had confident engineers at first I would say. You know, unless the engineers are against it but decision makers just push it through.

Josh_TN

Reaction score
It seems unlikely that Turkey gets F-35, so I suppose The Sultan might as well jump into bed with the Russians with both feet.

tequilashooter

Reaction score
Let's be honest: being very confident and really achieving something are two very different things.

Turkey hmmm lets see what their past articles claim.

100+ syrian tanks destroyed in a very small squabble with Syria when they are the ones that signed a ceasefire agreement with Russia as seen with Erdogan sitting next to Putin under a Catherine the great statue.
Engineers stating they will boost the SOM from a 100nmi to 2,500km range https://www.haberturk.com/ekonomi/teknoloji/haber/705814-tubitak-2014-hedefi
Crediting their TB2 for destroying 1980s Armenian S-300s when it was an Israeli kamikaze drone.
I am sure there is more if I try.

Avia.pro, the aviationist, even the onion don't got shit on Turkish claims. I mean sure the U.S. and Russia do tend to BS a little but nothing compared to the likes of Turkey. I am having a hard time trying to follow the news on the TAI TFX than I do with the Su-57, F-35 or F-22(modernization plan news) because of this.

TR1

Reaction score
That statement by the Russian side is extremely generic.

It doesn't mean Su-57 deliveries are actually being considered (and I don't think they would, not while Turkey is still in NATO).

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Wait... Have we heard the USAF about that in their quest for the ultimate 4.5++ gen fighter?

TR1

Reaction score

280435.jpg

tequilashooter

Reaction score
Sorry for being random but can the estimated 6 meter GZUR with a 1,500kg weight be carried externally like the Kab-1500 on the Su-57? I will kick back and relax until further details like the Gremlin come later.

Saber

Long way up the mirror
Reaction score
Wait... Have we heard the USAF about that in their quest for the ultimate 4.5++ gen fighter?
It's 2021 and you're seriously trying to claim that the Su-57 isn't a fifth gen?

TR1

Reaction score
Rostec doesn't actually do anything
It's 2021 and you're seriously trying to claim that the Su-57 isn't a fifth gen?

I think Tomcat is more implying a 4.5++++ gen makes even less sense with proliferating 5th gens (whenever that is).

But, don't worry, I am sure WarIsBoring will soon print an article claiming the F-15EX is a more advanced air-frame than the Su-57.
They are still figuring out that the Su-57 was never in risk of being cancelled though, it might take a while.

Josh_TN

Reaction score
not while Turkey is still in NATO
Though, how long more will that remain the case?
Probably indefinitely; there is no mechanism to remove them unless they themselves quite the organization, which seems incredibly unlikely. If nothing else they'd want to remain part of NATO just to remove Article 5 as a consequence of any conflict with Greece.

LVisingr

Reaction score

Excalibur66

Reaction score
Upgraded 30mm gun test.

Attachments

• A8846FE4-F160-48CD-B078-A9CB1CA052B0.jpeg
    A8846FE4-F160-48CD-B078-A9CB1CA052B0.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 5CA16A90-7C43-4C10-B92F-825D170C0166.jpeg
    5CA16A90-7C43-4C10-B92F-825D170C0166.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 38

haavarla

Reaction score
So here is a question for you!
They still opt for a big 30mm autocanon on the Felon.
And on most if not every Flanker, there they put on a extra protection skin for the muzzle force and heat.

So now they can do without, and never mind the more senitive skin of a 5th gen fighter here?

Last edited: