Sukhoi Su-57 / T-50 / PAK FA - flight testing and development Part II [2012-current]

They're expending cruise missiles as they have no choice. Their air force can't survive over defended territory. Which makes a stealth aircraft more of a priority...

Well back in Baghdad in 1990's and Operation Allied Forces in 1999, both operations had stealth fighters and bomber in play, yet Serbs and Iraq also got pummeled to submission by Tomahawks, So does the Shayrat Airbase. If stealths do have correlation with the amount of weapon inventories, the Shayrat strike can be more efficient to be carried by just a single B-2 bomber.

The aircraft on the video appears to be the Su-57.
What is the point in having a stealth aircraft and flying it well inside optical range of the ground where even defunct-AAA systems can pick it off?
Allegedly, along with all their other logistical problems, they're short of precision-guided munitions that can be dropped from altitude and are mostly using dumb bombs.
Flying at altitude in Buk/S-300 range is very bad for health, though.

Well back in Baghdad in 1990's and Operation Allied Forces in 1999, both operations had stealth fighters and bomber in play, yet Serbs and Iraq also got pummeled to submission by Tomahawks, So does the Shayrat Airbase. If stealths do have correlation with the amount of weapon inventories, the Shayrat strike can be more efficient to be carried by just a single B-2 bomber.
Though we should also note that during the first 8 weeks of OAF, 33% of the intended targets were destroyed by B-2 alone. Had the Russians have a similar system in service, I don't think it's a stretch that they would have used it to its full extent.

Also, I don't think it's an appropriate example to compare current situations over Ukraine to airstrikes on Shayrat AB considering the differences in background situation(all-out war/limited airstrike ), therefore the willingness in deploying manned assets and geological location(fighter-bombers are just as close to Ukrainian fronts as fhe cruise & ballistic missiles/closest ground strike asset is Tomahawk from Fifth Fleet.)

Though we should also note that during the first 8 weeks of OAF, 33% of the intended targets were destroyed by B-2 alone. Had the Russians have a similar system in service, I don't think it's a stretch that they would have used it to its full extent.

and they don't. So they do it their way.

The problem is that people correlate it to something they seem to have no idea of. Like "are Russians running out of missiles" ? The way i see it is "If Russia cannot afford to buy KAB-500S.E" They wont be leisurely expending Tenders, Kalibrs and Kh-101's as those weapon systems are bound to be way more expensive.

They're expending cruise missiles as they have no choice. Their air force can't survive over defended territory. Which makes a stealth aircraft more of a priority...

There was casualty aversion in play as well...plus those Tomahawk were used to crush the air defence network...
Not things we've seen in play with the Russian's...

The Russian's are learning the same lessons that the West learnt over 40 years ago. The question is will they have the money after Ukraine to pursue those lessons by SU-57 and Checkmate (and all of the supporting assets) and exclusive use of PGM's...I'd say the betting is very low on that at present...

The Russian's are learning the same lessons that the West learnt over 40 years ago. The question is will they have the money after Ukraine to pursue those lessons by SU-57 and Checkmate (and all of the supporting assets) and exclusive use of PGM's...I'd say the betting is very low on that at present...
It seems like the Russian air campaign had the most success with ALCMs. Strikes from manned aircraft, less so, and their Su-34 losses have been quite damning and may serve to accelerate effort into stealthy platforms, as well as the process for deconfliction in CAS. That said, I agree that they may have trouble financing these efforts at this point.

It seems like the Russian air campaign had the most success with ALCMs. Strikes from manned aircraft, less so, and their Su-34 losses have been quite damning and may serve to accelerate effort into stealthy platforms, as well as the process for deconfliction in CAS. That said, I agree that they may have trouble financing these efforts at this point.
I'd honestly suggest to wait till the end for any deep conclusions about VKS. We should get some reliable final datasheets first.

I'm kinda worried on Su-57 production now... If KNAAZ can actually deliver on schedule and at required number.
I think this debacle showed Russia how valuable a stealth platform like the Su-57 would have been. If anything, it's going to push them to commit even more resources to the program. Don't be surprised if we see an order for more airframes soon. It also might push Russia into ordering the Su-75 with the hopes of attracting foreign customers. We should be thankful Russia dosen't yet have a large fleet of combat ready Su-57s, or this conflict could have gone much differently for them.
It would surprise me if Russian aircraft programs including the Su-57 weren't negatively affected by economic sanctions. Even if all parts are sourced locally, which in the case of chips is just impossible (though they may be sourced/replaced from China), the total military budget, and the share appropriated to the VKS in particular, seems likely to be adjusted downward in the future.

I'd honestly suggest to wait till the end for any deep conclusions about VKS. We should get some reliable final datasheets first.
+1; I don't think we have any true idea of the sortie rate, casualties, effectiveness, etc. And likely never will, honestly. So any comparisons to a hypothetical Su-57 effectiveness are probably quite hopeless.

Lets reserve this thread for actual Su-57 news.

Flying at altitude in Buk/S-300 range is very bad for health, though.
I think the point is to fly between zones of coverage, or conduct SEAD/DEAD in a stealth aircraft though. If you're going to fly at 1,000ft, you may as well use an Su-25. Flying at 1,000ft with MANPADS and AAA everywhere is just as bad for your health. And 1,000ft isn't really low enough to give you good protection against larger SAMs either. It's just kind of 'I want to die altitude.'

Nobody has posted but according to a short news last week 2 more Su-57's were handed over. One going to Lipetsk, one going to Akhtubinsk. I remember in late december/early january there was a rumor that RuAF refused to accept some frames because they werent happy with something about them. So i guess it is possible that rumor was true, whatever it was got corrected, and now the frames (b/n blue 02 and blue 52?) were finally handed over.

EDIT; Corrected to blue 02 and 52, brainfart wrote 01/51.

Last edited:
Nobody has posted but according to a short news last week 2 more Su-57's were handed over. One going to Lipetsk, one going to Akhtubinsk. I remember in late december/early january there was a rumor that RuAF refused to accept some frames because they werent happy with something about them. So i guess it is possible that rumor was true, whatever it was got corrected, and now the frames (b/n blue 01 and blue 51?) were finally handed over.

So there are 4 production birds in total now ?

5. Blue 01 (T-50S-2), red 02, red 52, blue 52 and i guess blue 02. Last one unconfirmed b/n but likely. 6 made in total if one counts T-50S-1 which crashed in late 2019. (also blue 01)

5. Blue 01 (T-50S-2), red 02, red 52, blue 52 and i guess blue 02. Last one unconfirmed b/n but likely. 6 made in total if one counts T-50S-1 which crashed in late 2019. (also blue 01)

I see. I hope they can deliver the full batch of 76, and maybe with extra "Su-57M" in the future.

Some interesting notes on Su-57 production plans from a few years ago. I do wonder to what extent Su-57 production is being hampered by KNAAZ shop floor space being dedicated to the Su-35, and I'd expect that production would be more streamlined once the facility completely transitions over. That said, finding import substitutes due to sanctions may cause some further delays.

Production of the first T-50 airframe in 2010 required 785,000 worker hours. The T-50S-2 required just 247,000 worker hours. In 2022-23, the labor rate of one Su-57 airframe will drop below 200,000 worker hours and be reduced to 146,000 worker hours by 2028. By comparison, the production of one Su-35S requires 120,000 worker hours. A program to improve the quality of material is also being implemented. Production of one Su-57 requires 78 tons of aluminum and 16 tons of titanium; the target is 64 and 14 tons, respectively. The plant has started managing the Su-57’s production flow.

With Su-57 production just beginning, the main product in Komsomolsk remains the Su-35/Su-35S (the version without letter is intended for export; S denotes the version for Russia). According to Pekarsh, the Su-35S’ share of total 2020 production will be 42% (including remanufacturing), export deliveries of the Su-35 will constitute 31%, and the Su-57 accounts for 20%. Civil production—the fuselage and outer wing panels for the SSJ-100 passenger aircraft—is set at 7%.

The material distribution is interesting, but it roughly aligns with a KNAAZ production chart of the PAK FA showing that the airframe is comprised of 40.5-44.5% aluminum alloys and 18.6% titanium alloys by mass.

Last edited:
Technical field

The invention relates to a device for placing the target load inside vehicles, in particular to the cargo compartment of an aircraft for placing rockets and bombs or other dropped cargo on board the aircraft.

State of the art

From US Pat. No. 4,637,292 A, publ. 01/20/1987, a cargo compartment is known with a rotary launcher that provides the withdrawal of missiles or bombs (rocket and bomb load) through a limited hatch opening. The proposed arrangement of goods requires a sufficiently large volume of the cargo compartment, a significant part of the transverse dimension of which is occupied by the mechanism for turning the goods. With such a radial arrangement of cargoes, a significant part of the usable volume of the compartment, namely the sector of the cross section of the compartment between the cargoes, is not used in any way. An increase in the cross-sectional area of the compartment due to the placement of a rotary rotary launcher and unused volumes entails an increase in the midsection of the fuselage and an increase in mass due to the use of the turning mechanism, which worsens the acceleration characteristics of the aircraft.

From US Pat. No. 4,702,145 A, publ. 10/27/1987 a cargo compartment with a vertical arrangement of missiles in one row, one above the other, is known. This type of weapon placement requires an increased height of the fuselage and the use of measures to reduce the vibroacoustic effect on the rear wall of the compartment, which entails an increase in the weight of the aircraft and a deterioration in its performance. The two methods of cargo placement considered above have a significant drawback: in the event of a failure of the mechanism for supplying cargo to the opening of the hatch of the cargo compartment, it is not possible to use the serviceable cargo remaining on board the aircraft, which can disrupt the take-off task.

From US Pat. No. 4,697,764 A, publ. 10/06/1987 the cargo compartment is known, in which the rocket and bomb load is placed in one row in width. With this method of placement, the number of missiles or bombs is determined by the width of the opening of the cargo compartment, and the use of each cargo may not depend on the use of the others, because. all cargoes in the compartment are in a position that allows them to be launched or dumped immediately after opening the doors of the cargo compartment. However, with this method of cargo placement, if it is necessary to increase the missile and bomb load, even with the presence of internal volumes of the aircraft sufficient for this, it is necessary to increase the width of the fuselage to provide the required width of the compartment hatch opening. Such a modification of the aircraft also leads to an increase in its midsection and mass, and leads to a deterioration in the accelerating characteristics of the aircraft.

Disclosure of the Invention

The objective of the proposed invention is to place the maximum amount of cargo in the cargo compartment of the aircraft without increasing the midsection of the fuselage of the aircraft and with a minimum increase in the weight of the aircraft.

The technical result of the claimed invention is to increase the missile and bomb load of the aircraft, by filling the cargo compartment of the aircraft with the maximum amount of cargo with the possibility of launching or dropping cargo through a limited opening of the hatch of the cargo compartment, without increasing the midsection of the fuselage of the aircraft and maintaining the minimum mass of the aircraft.

The proposed design of the cargo compartment, embodied in its elements and their mutual arrangement, ensures the preservation of the most optimal geometric characteristics of the cargo compartment (minimum height and close to optimal ratio of width to length of the cargo compartment) in terms of levels of vibroacoustic loading on the cargo compartment structure from the impact of the oncoming flow.

In addition, the proposed arrangement of goods, implemented by the design of the cargo compartment, provides the possibility of using, i.e. launch or release, most of the loads in the event of a failure of the starting device of the holder of one or more of the loads.

The technical result is achieved by the fact that the cargo compartment of the aircraft, having a width greater than the opening of the hatch of the cargo compartment, contains holders of dropped cargoes, while at least one holder of dropped cargoes is fixedly mounted on the upper wall of the cargo compartment opposite the opening of the hatch of the cargo compartment and at least one load holder is installed outside the opening of the cargo compartment on a turntable, while the turntable is made rotatable around the longitudinal axis of rotation by means of a drive for the transition of the cargo placed on it to the position for the safe separation of the cargo, opposite the hatch opening of the cargo compartment.

In one of the embodiments, the cargo compartment contains at least several holders of dropped cargoes installed motionlessly on the upper wall of the cargo compartment opposite the cargo compartment hatch opening and at least two cargo holders installed outside the cargo compartment opening on turntables.

In one of the embodiments, the cargo compartment contains at least two turntables for placing holders with loads on them.

In one embodiment, the cargo compartment additionally contains a mechanism for fixing the turntable in one or more of its positions, working and/or
or non-working positions, in order to increase the rigidity and / or strength of the structure during start-up or dumping of cargo and / and transportation.

In one of the embodiments of the cargo compartment, the turntable for placing a holder with a load on it is built into the design of the cargo compartment of the aircraft.

In one of the embodiments of the cargo compartment, a turntable for placement on it of the holder with the load is made removable.

In one of the embodiments of the cargo compartment, the turntable drive for turning the platform from a non-working position to a working position and vice versa is a hydraulic drive, a pneumatic drive, an electric drive, or a combination of these types of drives.

In one of the embodiments of the cargo compartment, each turntable for placing a holder with a load on it has an independent drive.

In one of the embodiments of the cargo compartment, part of the turntables from the total number of turntables for placing holders with loads on them
have a common drive.

In one of the embodiments of the cargo compartment, the turntables for placing holders with loads on them have a common drive to all turntables.

In one of the embodiments of the cargo compartment, the axis of rotation of the turntable is not parallel to the longitudinal axis of the holder and load placed on it.

In one of the embodiments of the cargo compartment, the longitudinal axis of the holder with the load placed on the turntable is not parallel to the longitudinal axis of the holder with the load, which is stationary in the compartment.
In one of the embodiments of the cargo compartment, the longitudinal axes of all holders and cargo placed in the compartment are not parallel to each other.

In one of the embodiments of the cargo compartment, the holders with weights are placed in one row along the width of the cargo compartment.

In one of the embodiments of the cargo compartment, the cargo holders are placed in a checkerboard pattern along the length of the cargo compartment, with the possibility of placing cargo in the cargo compartment along its width with a step smaller than the transverse dimension of the cargo due to the displacement of the cargoes relative to each other along their longitudinal axis by a distance not less than the length of the tail of the cargo.

In one of the embodiments of the cargo compartment, the holders with loads are placed in several rows along the length of the compartment.
Also proposed is a method for placing cargo in the cargo compartment of an aircraft, including placing cargo on holders fixedly mounted on the upper wall of the cargo compartment opposite the hatch opening of the cargo compartment, and placement of goods on holders mounted on turntables located outside the opening of the cargo compartment.

Brief description of the drawings

The invention is illustrated by the following drawings:
fig. 1 - cross-section of the cargo compartment with open doors, with the location of the goods on the turntables in the non-working position, with arrows showing the directions of the discharge of goods;
fig. 2 - cross-section of the cargo compartment with open doors, with the location of cargo on turntables in the non-working position, with arrows showing the direction of movement of the platforms from the non-working position to working position;
fig. 3 - cross-section of the cargo compartment with open doors with the location of the goods on the turntables in the working position, with arrows showing the directions of the discharge of goods from the turntables.

The following symbols are used in the figures:

1 - 6 - loads;
7, 8 - turntables for placing holders with loads on them;
9, 10 - axes of rotation of turntables;
11, 12 - drives of turntables;
13, 14 - doors of the cargo compartment;
15 - cargo holders.

The implementation of the invention

The figures show an example of the placement of six loads 1 - 6, in particular six rockets, in the cargo compartment of a vehicle, in particular an aircraft.
Cargoes are located inside the cargo compartment in one row along the width of the cargo compartment.

The loads are fixed on board the aircraft with the help of holders 15.

Holders are starting devices that provide launching or dropping loads. As holders, intrafuselage ejection devices, beam holders or other holders intended for this can be used. Weights 2-5 are located opposite the hatch opening, i.e. pass through the opening of the cargo hatch compartment immediately after the doors 13 and 14 of the cargo compartment move to the open position, and weights 1 and 6 are located on the sides of the cargo compartment, on both sides of it, go beyond the hatch opening and are the next to be launched or dropped after the weights 2 and 5 closest to them Cargo holders 15 2-5 are fixedly mounted on the upper wall of the cargo compartment. Cargo holders 15 1 and 6 are installed on turntables 7 and 8, respectively, outside the hatch opening with two sides of it.

Turntables 7 and 8 are fixed in the cargo compartment as follows.

On one side, the turntables 7 and 8 are hinged on the upper wall of the cargo compartment. The articulated joint consists of several cylindrical or spherical hinges located on the axes 9 and 10 of rotation of the turntables 7 and 8. The fixed part of the hinges, fixed on the upper wall of the cargo compartment, is made in the form of brackets that can be either removable or integrated into the structure top wall of the cargo compartment. On the other side, the turntables 7 and 8 are articulated with the drives 11 and 12, respectively. Each of the turntables 7 and 8 rotates around its axis of rotation 9 and 10, respectively.

In this case, the turntable and the drive are a turning mechanism consisting of two links. The movement of turntables 7, 8 can be carried out by more complex, multi-link mechanisms. The fastening of drives 11, 12 to the structure of the cargo compartment is carried out by hinged connection in the form of cylindrical or spherical hinges. Turntables 7 and 8 have two fixed positions: non-working, i.e. retracted when the load is in position for its transport in the cargo compartment, and working, i.e. released when the load is in position for launch or release. Turntables 7 and 8 are driven by drives 11 and 12, respectively. As drives, hydraulic drives, pneumatic drives, electric drives or combinations thereof can be used. The turntables may have a common drive for all platforms, or several of the total number of platforms may have a common drive, or each turntable may have an independent drive. In the embodiment of the cargo compartment with a common drive to turntables, the rotational movement of platforms 7 and 8 can be carried out through a multi-link mechanism. The turntables may be built into the structure of the cargo hold of the aircraft, or the turntables may be removable. To launch or dump cargo, the turntables rotate relative to their axes of rotation by the required angle, sufficient for the safe removal of cargo from the cargo compartment. To ensure fixation of the platform 7 and 8 can be provided with separate locking mechanisms in the working and/or non-working positions (not shown in the figures). Turntable locking mechanisms can be used for ensuring the required rigidity or strength of the structure in the corresponding positions of the turntable.

Turntables provide the necessary initial conditions for the separation of cargo from the aircraft, which significantly affect the separation trajectory. The number of goods placed in the cargo compartment may vary depending on the width and length of the cargo compartment and the dimensions of the cargo. In one embodiment of the cargo compartment, the holders are staggered along the length of the cargo compartment. This arrangement of the holders allows you to place loads across the width of the cargo compartment with a step smaller than the transverse size of the cargo, due to the displacement of the goods relative to each other in the longitudinal direction by a distance not less than the length of the plumage of the goods with mutual overlapping plumage cargo when viewed from the front or rear. This allows you to place the largest amount of cargo and increase the missile and bomb load of the aircraft.

In one of the embodiments of the invention, it is possible to configure the axis of rotation of the turntable, in which the axis of rotation of the platform is not parallel to the longitudinal axis of the load and its holder. Also, in embodiments of the invention, it is possible to place loads together with their holders not parallel to each other. Such options for placing loads can reduce the transverse dimensional chain by reducing the distance between the loads. Due to the displacement of loads in the transverse and longitudinal directions, as well as various spatial configurations of the longitudinal axes
cargo and rotation axes of turntables, it is possible to reduce the width occupied by cargo in the compartment. This allows you to place the largest amount of cargo and increase the missile and bomb load of the aircraft.

In addition, the proposed arrangement of goods provided by the design of the cargo compartment, namely, the fastening of cargo on holders on the upper wall of the cargo compartment and on turntables, in the same plane parallel to each other or offset relative to each other, provides the possibility of using, i.e. launch or release, most of the loads in the event of a failure of the starting device of the holder of one or more of the loads. In the event that one holder's trigger fails, other weights can be used without hindrance. The only exception is the case when the starting device of the load holder closest to the load, located on the turntable, failed. In this case, the refusal makes it impossible to use both the load placed on the defective holder and the load placed on the nearest turntable, since such a case makes it impossible to move the load platform to the working position. At the same time, such a refusal does not affect the use of other cargoes.

The launch or release of a rocket and bomb load is carried out as follows.

The doors of the cargo compartment 13 and 14 are transferred to the open position, freeing the opening of the compartment for the subsequent exit of goods from it. Cargoes 2 and 5, closest to the turntables 7 and 8, located opposite the outlet hatch, i. e. passing through the hatch. After weights 2 and 5 are dropped, side weights 1 and 6 are dropped in the following sequence:

the turntables 7 and 8 are rotated to the working position due to the drives 11,12, turning at an angle sufficient for the safe launch or dumping of cargo, after which it is possible to safely separate and launch or dump cargo 1 and 6 from the aircraft. In this case, the launch or drop of loads 3 and 4 can be carried out both before and after the launch or drop of other loads, placed in the compartment, in any sequence.

In the event that one launching device of the holder does not work, other loads can be launched without hindrance, and the load remaining in its place due to failure of the starting device of the holder, will not interfere with the launch or release of other loads, with the exception of the failure of the starting devices of the holders of loads 2 and Thus, the presence of turntables in the cargo compartment makes it possible to place cargo at the side walls of the cargo compartment, which has a width exceeding the width of the hatch opening, and to use the space of the cargo compartment outside the hatch opening, which will ensure the most complete use of the useful volume of the cargo compartment and the placement of the maximum number of cargo, with the possibility of its unhindered launch or discharge through a limited opening in the cargo compartment. The proposed cargo compartment provides an increase in the missile and bomb load of the aircraft without increasing the midsection of the fuselage, as well as maintaining a minimum weight aircraft and the most optimal geometric characteristics of the cargo compartment.

(57) Claim

1. The cargo compartment of an aircraft, having a width greater than the opening of the hatch of the cargo compartment, containing the holders of the dropped cargo, characterized in that at least one holder of the dropped cargo is mounted motionless on the upper wall of the cargo compartment opposite the opening of the hatch of the cargo compartment and at least one the cargo holder is installed outside the opening of the cargo compartment on the turntable, while the turntable is rotatable around the longitudinal axis of rotation by means of a drive to move the load placed on it to a position for safe separation of the load, opposite the opening of the hatch of the cargo compartment.

2. The cargo compartment according to claim 1, containing several holders of dropped cargoes installed motionlessly on the upper wall of the cargo compartment opposite the cargo compartment hatch opening, and at least two cargo holders installed outside the cargo compartment opening on turntables.

3. The cargo compartment according to claim. 1, 2, containing at least two turntables for placing holders with loads on them.

4. The cargo compartment according to claim 1, additionally including a mechanism for fixing the turntable in one or more of its positions.

5. The cargo compartment according to claim 1, in which the turntable for placing a holder with a load on it is built into the structure of the cargo compartment of the aircraft.

6. The cargo compartment according to claim 1, in which the turntable for placing the holder with the load on it is removable.

7. The cargo compartment according to claim 1, in which the turntable drive is a hydraulic drive, pneumatic drive, electric drive, or a combination of these types of drives.

8. Cargo compartment according to claim 1, 3, 7, in which the turntable for placing a holder with a load on it has an independent drive.

9. The cargo compartment according to claim 3, 7, in which part of the turntables from the total number of turntables for placing holders with loads on them have a common drive.

10. The cargo compartment according to claim 3, 7, in which the turntables for placing holders with loads on them have a common drive to all turntables.

11. The cargo compartment according to claim 1, in which the axis of rotation of the turntable is not parallel to the longitudinal axis of the holder and load placed on it.

12. The cargo compartment according to claim 1, in which the longitudinal axis of the holder and cargo placed on the turntable is not parallel to the longitudinal axis of the holder and cargo placed motionlessly in the compartment.

13. The cargo compartment according to claim 2, in which the longitudinal axes of all holders and loads placed in the compartment are not parallel to each other.

14. The cargo compartment according to claim 1, 2, in which the cargo holders are placed in one row along the width of the compartment.

15. Cargo compartment under item 1, 2, in which cargo holders are placed in a checkerboard pattern along the length of the compartment with the possibility of placing cargo in the cargo compartment along its width with a step smaller than the transverse size of the cargo, due to the displacement of the cargoes relative to each other along their longitudinal axis by a distance not less than the length of the plumage of the cargoes.

16. The cargo compartment according to claim 1, 2, in which the cargo holders are placed in several rows along the length of the compartment.

Attachments

• 2767213.pdf
    424.2 KB · Views: 129
  • SukhoiWeaponsBay.jpg
    SukhoiWeaponsBay.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 99
  • SukhoiWeaponsBay2.jpg
    SukhoiWeaponsBay2.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 53
Last edited by a moderator:
So they will use the baydoors itself for mounting wepons and some other clever release pylon that i cannot visualize

... so my idea about off-vertical missile ejection trajectories to enable more favourable packaging apparently isn't as crazy as all that. Though clearly the missiles are much smaller than the known/legacy types I assumed, more akin to the CUDAski suggested by Avimimus.

Is this for the Su-57, because it has two narrow bays in front of each other, which only fit 3 surely?

This is the Su-57 thread, and the source we are talking about is flateric.. what do you think the odds of a mistake are?

Perhaps this weapon bay is for the future PAK DA.

The patent is assigned to Sukhoi, not Tupolev.

... so my idea about off-vertical missile ejection trajectories to enable more favourable packaging apparently isn't as crazy as all that. Though clearly the missiles are much smaller than the known/legacy types I assumed, more akin to the CUDAski suggested by Avimimus.

It might also be that the patent drawing doesn't represent the actual design. :) To patent the idea they could use a bay from a late 1.42 derived project etc. It doesn't have to be PAK-FA.

If I recall correctly, I'd been thinking of storing missiles in tandem (like CUDA or Peregrine). You probably remember better than I do though!

There was some indication early on that each of the four bays could hold either one ~700kg weapon or two ~250kg weapons (presumably guided bombs, held in tandem). If so, one solution to gain more magazine depth would be to have a relatively stubby but high diametre air-to-air missile that could be stored in tandem on a similar rack. Of course, we now have indications from Checkmate/Su-75 program that Paralay was right all along with the idea of three R-77 class missiles stored in parallel!

Why the N036 Fire control of Su-57 isn't tilting at an angle like fire control radar of other stealth fighter?. Their radome are always slightly off colour with the airframe so we can see where they start.
E1CA478C-2425-4678-B97D-1895FF1E1B43.jpeg
39FE3CE7-ACAE-4671-A824-F328B87E2E86.jpeg
5F7C1BE0-C8A6-4EE6-9C80-5A7146A7F827.jpeg
E1CA478C-2425-4678-B97D-1895FF1E1B43.jpeg

Last edited:
Why the N036 Fire control of Su-57 isn't tilting at an angle like fire control radar of other stealth fighter?. Their radome are always slightly off colour with the airframe so we can see where they start.
View attachment 677992
View attachment 677993
View attachment 677991
View attachment 677995
In displays, the N036 main array is shown tilted upward.

It's just that Sukhoi chose not to have the radome have serrated and tilted attachment points to the nose mounting bulkhead.

It is tilted. In fact you can kinda see it based on the radome RAM in the picture you posted.

View attachment 677992
View attachment 677993
View attachment 677991
View attachment 677995
Are you talking about the photo bellow?. I think that just the mock up on a platform that can point up and down for easier view rather than the illustration of the radar position inside the nose
EC4EC1AC-D6DF-4DE1-A088-28FC79360BCA.jpeg
It's just that Sukhoi chose not to have the radome have serrated and tilted attachment points to the nose mounting bulkhead.
What is the reason for that?.

Why the N036 Fire control of Su-57 isn't tilting at an angle like fire control radar of other stealth fighter?
Yes, why?
Thank flacteric, so why the radome of su-57 doesn't start along where the radar aperture start like on other fighter?, what is the advantages/disadvantage of that decision?.
BTW, where is that image come from?

View attachment 677992
View attachment 677993
View attachment 677991
View attachment 677995
Are you talking about the photo bellow?. I think that just the mock up on a platform that can point up and down for easier view rather than the illustration of the radar position inside the nose
View attachment 678001
What is the reason for that?.
Probably for simplicity. Between faceting, RAM and the tilted antenna they deemed the non serrated/angled radome bulkhead to be of negligible value for the costs.

Last edited: