Sukhoi Su-57 / T-50 / PAK FA - flight testing and development Part II [2012-current]

I kinda feel Sukhoi took a step backwards on the rear hemisphere in comparison the su-27; is it solely because they want to shield the pilot seat from radar waves?
https://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/10978583

"Currently, a helmet-mounted target designation and display system integrated into a protective helmet for a pilot for the Su-57 aircraft is being tested. This system provides an indication on the glass of the protective visor of a pilot's helmet of sighting symbols for the use of various types of aviation weapons, indication of flight information, as well as output video images of the behind-the-cockpit space from television and thermal imaging sensors, "the UAC said.

This is probably why.

Would love to see Sergey Kuznetsov back... he was the anchor of old "Smotr" Series. Hope he's fine and healthy.
He's fine and healthy, still at the old place

Would love to see Sergey Kuznetsov back... he was the anchor of old "Smotr" Series. Hope he's fine and healthy.
He's fine and healthy, still at the old place
That's a great relief.

I recalled he used to have an english website. the Aviapedia. it's sad that it's gone years ago.

282150.jpg

282153.jpg

Looking forward for the serial 02
Nothing will be changed, maybe after 2022 when Stage 2 (codenamed super sukhoi) prototypes start flight tests we can see some bigger changes as more stealthy design updates may be applied, thanks.
No physical appearance alterations will be done on the 2nd Su-57. Also state what those more stealth design updates are going to be. Since its easy to be a eye expert to criticize any physical appearance like this forum is doing to another 5th gen aircraft. https://www.russiadefence.net/t8430p425-su-57-stealth-fighter-news-7 Don't want to bring that up on an F-35 thread without infuriating users even though its a cool thing to do on anything su-57 and other 5th gen related aircrafts that isn't from the U.S.

Su-57
With

Okhotnik-B
Camouflage
1 Fighter Jet Can Control 12 Drones
Armed With Thunder-E1 To
Attack Ground and Surface Targets
KH59MK2 & KH38
AIR - AIR Missile
R-37M , RVV-SD , K-77ME ... etc

247235.png 244575.png
9c148f4f42efac38ff67efe958bb05e6.jpg
e8f1ffb6a6366f92292398e913870f87.jpg
1280px-Kh-59MK2_missile_at_MAKS-2015_02.jpg
Kh-38_in_maks2009.jpg

What is the thing on top
And the early warning radar is diffrent in size
is the smaller one AESA and the Long one is
N012 Tail Warning Radar

Screenshot (11).png Screenshot (7).png

N012 Tail Warning Radar
Not true. There is not AESA radar in the tail of Su-57 and the sting is a anti-stall parachute container. Please, don't spread misconceptions.

N012 Tail Warning Radar
Not true. There is not AESA radar in the tail of Su-57 and the sting is a anti-stall parachute container. Please, don't spread misconceptions.
Except you just wrote misconception yourself ^_^
Chute fairing is BEHIND string, and anti-stall one is installed only on first airframe. Rest have radiotransparent radome on the tail with antenna inside. Only unknown factor is if this antenna is dedicated ECM one or used as radar too.

Except you just wrote misconception yourself ^_^
Again, the long sting in the tail of #051 is for anti-stall parachute container. You just confused it with a landing chute, which is really located between the rudders.

Attachments

• antistallchute.jpg
    antistallchute.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 67
Piotr Butowski has been wrong before, is wrong now and will be wrong in future articles.. There is notail radar in Su-34 nor in Su-57, period!

Interesting, 08 is still flying around with the partial RAM application?

283132.jpg

N012 Tail Warning Radar
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/th...testing-and-development-part-ii.15626/page-49 See my Feb 3 post. Also they have made changes with the radar suite of the su-57 like they have with the modernization of the Su-34.
I don't see any words about the radar in the tail. Himalayas EW suite is designed by KNIRTI while the radar suite designed by NIIP and NIIP told it clear - radar suite includes five AESA arrays.

It has been suggested that the Himalayas EW suite can use the 5 X and L band radar antennas to augment its own antennas. There is nothing to suggest the radar can utilise the Himalaya's own antennas at present. There is no tail radar on the Su-57, and Piotr Butowski hasn't suggested it has one to my knowledge. Just some random dude on the internet.

Last edited:
Piotr Butowski is one of those common aviation names that strikes up a lot or controversey and debate for so long, I'm no longer sure what the original issue was.

reminds me of Carlo Kopp

Piotr Butowski is one of those common aviation names that strikes up a lot or controversey and debate for so long, I'm no longer sure what the original issue was.

reminds me of Carlo Kopp
"controversey and debate" between whom? self-proclaimed forum "experts"?

reminds me of Carlo Kopp

I must admit, to put Piotr and Karlo into the same league or rate them the same level is in fact an insult against Piotr probably as grave as if you would compare Piotr with Yefim Gordon.

PS: or I must still defend my work on China and the PLAAF against such "controversial" claims in the Internet, since Yefim still posts images of MiG-29 and Tu-22M in PLAAF markings, and he must be correct. ;)

Last edited:
N012 Tail Warning Radar
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/th...testing-and-development-part-ii.15626/page-49 See my Feb 3 post. Also they have made changes with the radar suite of the su-57 like they have with the modernization of the Su-34.
I don't see any words about the radar in the tail. Himalayas EW suite is designed by KNIRTI while the radar suite designed by NIIP and NIIP told it clear - radar suite includes five AESA arrays.

But you see this? For example, the Himalayas EW complex uses the energy resource of the radar to provide protection at certain points of space. All this is done to ensure that the aircraft has the ability to circular view of space in passive and active modes

Now we want to draw your attention to a fundamentally new radar that was developed for the PAK FA. This radar has several ranges of operation and will work not only in the front hemisphere - it will also have a number of possibilities for all-round visibility so that the pilot has complete information about the radar situation, so that, without taking maneuvering actions, he can find out what is happening to the left. on the right, behind in automatic mode with projection on the helmet and on the interactive glass of the cockpit.

Does Igor Nasenkov words hold more weight than Piotr Butowski? I dont think he was talking about ROFAR... well only atleast on the 1st paragraph of the source.

Sorry, but nothing there indicates there is a rear facing radar antenna.

For example, the Himalayas EW complex uses the energy resource of the radar to provide protection at certain points of space. All this is done to ensure that the aircraft has the ability to circular view of space in passive and active modes

He's saying what I said. The EW system has active (jamming) and passive (RHAWS/RWR) functionality, and uses the radar arrays to do that to help ensure all round coverage.

Now we want to draw attention to the fundamentally new radar, which is designed for the FA PAC. This radar has several ranges of operation and will not only work in the front hemisphere

Indeed. It has front and side cheek arrays which cover 270 degrees in azimuth. I think we can all agree that 270 is larger than 180.

- it will also have a number of opportunities for a circular view, so that the pilot has full information about the radar environment, so that without the maneuvering action you can find out what is happening on the left, right, behind in automatic mode with a projection on the helmet and on the interactive cockpit glass.

This is pretty generic. "Information about the radar environment" sounds like passive RHAWS/ELINT modes not active radar. It could be referring to sensor fusion between RHAWS and radar, or target exchange between aircraft. Nothing here proves the existence of a rear radar antenna.

Come back when you have actual evidence.

Interesting, 08 is still flying around with the partial RAM application?

283132.jpg
Is the orange stripe around the windshield some kind of test equipment? why would they still be testing on this section of the airplane if it is already in serial? Are they still testing the all-moving tails?