A Russian plastic model kit company called Arma Hobby has just released a 1/72 kit of this ""secret"" aircraft in it's prototype form (like in the first photos posted in this thread) . I'd post a link but it's all in Russian so I won't.

I know everyone is calling it a strike drone, but what if it isn't. What if it's being used to develop a radar that can detect it. It has an uncanny look that resembles the "speculated" shape of the B-21

Last edited:
I'd post a link but it's all in Russian so I won't.
Like that's something bad and Google Translate was canned.
. What if it's being used to develop a radar that can detect it
???
You suggest that for some reasons they are developing whole funtioning airframe with all attached components and control logic just to do same stuff that they can do in echoess chamber?..

I'd post a link but it's all in Russian so I won't.
Like that's something bad and Google Translate was canned.

Nope, I had problems opening it so I don't trust it.

You suggest that for some reasons they are developing whole funtioning airframe with all attached components and control logic just to do same stuff that they can do in echoess chamber?..

Whole functioning airframes have been used before, right ? And everyone is only speculating that it is a strike drone, right ? It's what everyone wants to believe

Everyone is just thinking that T-50 is multirole tactical fighter. In fact it is low orbit nuclear delivery platform.
This is kinda same level of thinking. Especially in light that stuff about S-70 is not only "speculated" but quite a bit told, especially after pair flights with T-50.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know everyone is calling it a strike drone, but what if it isn't. What if it's being used to develop a radar that can detect it. It has an uncanny look that resembles the "speculated" shape of the B-21

Or it's similar to the loyal wingman concept that China, US, & AUS are all working on.

Or it's similar to the loyal wingman concept that China, US, & AUS are all working on.

It appears to intended as an UCAV; otherwise a lot of work to go for some kind of purely radar-test vehicle which doesn’t appear very likely or credible.

The job of characterizing opponent aircraft RCS would typically be done using non-flying models on test ranges and of course numerical simulation. There was a documentary on the test range which does this work in Russia a while back, including their shed of models (B-2, F-22, F-117, JASSM etc.).

Well I did think that was how it was done, but trying to detect a shape like that at very long range and at the operational flight levels (also speculated), would require a flying model I would think. And detect it as soon as possible ----

but trying to detect a shape like that at very long range and at the operational flight levels (also speculated), would require a flying model I would think. And detect it as soon as possible ----
What your assumptions are based on in historical perspective?

Not sure what historical perspective there is, I've seen photos of full size aircraft stuck on a pole for radar measurements, but your testing range is only so far and limited to whatever height the subject has been elevated don't you think. I just thought having a flying example coming in at various heights would really be more real world. And like I said previously, the aircraft does sort of resemble the 'speculated' images of the B-21 shown on the other forum thread. The thoughts had come to mind because of the other thread revealing the USAF using F-117's in tests ---

Gentlemen, can Okhotnik, in its current configuration, considered as an all aspect stealth platform, and hence representative for radar tests? Looking at the pics available in public domain it appears that not much effort was made in regards of low observability.

Looking at the pics available in public domain it appears that not much effort was made in regards of low observability.

Have you looked at the X-47A than looked at the X-47B? I do think they made it pretty clear they will address the back issue in the future regarding the maks airshow model back in 2019.

Have you looked at the X-47A than looked at the X-47B? I do think they made it pretty clear they will address the back issue in the future regarding the maks airshow model back in 2019.

Both X-47 models were demonstrators. The Pegasus was far, far stealthier than the Salty Dog.

Everyone is just thinking that T-50 is muntirole tactical fighter. In fact it is low orbit nuclear delivery platform.
This is kinda same level of thinking. Especially in light that stuff about S-70 is not only "speculated" but quite a bit told, especially after pair flights with T-50.
What do you mean by “low orbit nuclear delivery platform”?

"The Russian drone drone “Okhotnik” and “Altius” will be armed with high-precision gliding bombs 9-A-7759 “Thunder”. According to Izvestia, citing a source in the military-industrial complex, a fundamental decision on this has already been taken.

According to the publication, the planning bomb 9-A-7759 "Thunder" has already been integrated into the weapons system of the heavy attack drone S-70 "Hunter". Tests for the discharge of mass-scale munitions of ammunition from the drone have already been carried out and are considered successful. In the case of Altius, the integration of planning bombs with the weapon system is not yet complete. In 2018, R&D was conducted to assess the feasibility of using ammunition from a drone, but they were not completed due to a temporary suspension of work on the drone project and the transfer of its development.

It is reported that the Altius medium drone is capable of carrying two gliding munitions 9-A-7759, and the heavy S-70 Hunter up to four in the internal compartments on the external sling.

The planning bomb 9-A-7759 Thunder was developed by Tactical Missile Weapons Corporation in three versions. The weight of the bomb in two versions is about 600 kg, in the third - around 490 kg. The hull length is 4192 cm, the diameter is 310 cm.

Option 9-A-7759, in addition to folding wings, is equipped with a small jet engine. The flight range is 120 km, the mass of military equipment is 315 kg, the power of a high-explosive fragmentation warhead is 2 OFAB 250.

Option 9-A1-7759 - the main engine is replaced with an additional high-explosive fragmentation charge. The flight range is 65 km, the mass of the warhead reaches 480 kg, the power is 1.5 OFAB 500U.

Option 9-A2-7759. It has a high-explosive fragmentation warhead replaced by a thermobaric. The flight range is 65 km, the mass of the warhead is 370 kg, and the power is 2 KAB 500 OD.

Ammunition is inflicted using the onboard inertial navigation system and signals from the GLONASS and NAVSTAR satellites. Deviation from the target at the maximum range is no more than 10 meters. "

A little about prices, including glider:

Army 2020:

z1XyDjPUCxc.jpg

Three new heavy UAVs S-70 "Okhotnik" will be built in the next two years

Three new cars will be built under a new government contract. The Ministry of Defense signed it with the Sukhoi company in the last days of last year after the successful completion of research work on the Hunter theme, sources in the military-industrial complex told Izvestia.
It is also expected that these three UAVs will differ from the prototype in appearance. They have been modified to reduce radar signature, sources added. One of the vehicles will remain on the ground. It is used for life tests. The other two will become flight specimens.
According to the appendix, which the publication managed to get acquainted with, in the last quarter of this year, the assembly plant should receive a set of parts made of polymer composite materials for the drone's airframe. In the first half of 2021, there will be two more sets. The cost of one is 286 million rubles.
As Izvestia previously reported, in the summer, Sukhoi insured the prototype S-70 for 1.3 billion rubles. The ground control point was estimated separately at 145 million rubles. It is planned that after the start of serial production of the drone, the amount will be reduced to about 1 billion.

A new version of the AL-41F1 fighter engine - "izd.117BD" has been developed specially for equipping the S-70 by the UEC - Ufa Engine-Building Production Association.
RIAN_5991501.HR_.ru_.jpg

https://iz.ru/1070737/anton-lavrov-...ye-poluchat-tiazhelye-bespilotnye-istrebiteli

Okhotnik was tested with imitators of air-to-air missiles.

"At the Ashuluk test site, several flights of the Okhotnik were performed with functional imitators of guided air-to-air missiles. The combat versions of such missiles are designed to destroy other aircraft," the agency's interlocutor said, noting that the tests were recently completed.
Imitators have IR and radar guidance.

via RIA

Last edited:
The source is unofficial, yes. Payload can be a full-scale model of a bomb. The whole rumour can be a BS.
Maybe he was talking about Grom (Thunder) gliding bomb, which - depending on the version - has a weight of between 490 to 600kg. There is an article about that here in the topic, which also says that it's been already tested.

zHX58iDanKo.jpg

Can clearly see the S duct, so thank God there won't be that debate here :) :

Thanks to Flyer from Paralay -> http://paralay.iboards.ru/viewtopic.php?p=631922#p631922

Sources called the start date for testing the second Hunter drone."

MOSCOW, 17 Mar-RIA Novosti. Construction of the second prototype of the S-70 Okhotnik heavy strike drone, which has received an updated design, will be completed in late summer, at the same time the vehicle will be rolled out of the workshop and its ground tests will begin, two sources in the military-industrial complex told RIA Novosti.
"Completion of construction and roll-out of the second prototype of the Okhotnik unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) from the shop of the Chkalov Novosibirsk aviation plant (NAZ) are scheduled for the end of summer. Immediately after that, the stage of ground testing of the UAV will begin, including engine starts, checks of on-Board systems and units of the device, taxiing and Jogging along the runway, and much more, " one of the Agency's interlocutors said.
Another source stressed that the second UAV has significant design differences from the first sample. According to the source, "the first Okhotnik is more of an experimental technology demonstrator, while the second Is an experimental pre-production vehicle."
He confirmed the timing of ground tests of the new Okhotnik and clarified that "it is planned to lift the device into the air for the first time at the end of this or early next year."

The United aircraft Corporation (UAC) did not comment on the information provided by the sources to RIA Novosti.
As RIA Novosti reported in early February, NAZ is building three more prototypes of the Okhotnik heavy attack UAV, which are planned to be connected to flight tests in 2022-2023. Then, in particular, it was noted that changes will be made to the design of the second device based on the operating experience of the first "Hunter".
The s-70 Okhotnik was developed at the Sukhoi design Bureau (part of the rostec state Corporation UAC) and is designed according to the flying wing aerodynamic scheme. According to open sources, the length of the drone is 14 meters, the wingspan is 19 meters, and the take-off weight is 20 tons. "Okhotnik" has a subsonic maximum flight speed and is made using materials that reduce radar visibility.
The first flight of the first "Hunter", as reported in the Ministry of defense, took place on August 3, 2019. During the flight tests, according to RIA Novosti sources, the UAV has already used aviation weapons, including the drone bombed a ground target at the Ashuluk training ground.
Serial deliveries of "Hunters" to The aerospace forces of the Russian Federation, noted earlier in the UAC, should begin in 2024.

Odin in the sky is not a warrior
According to Denis Fedutinov, a leading expert in the field of unmanned aviation, the greatest effect of using the s-70 Okhotnik Can be achieved by organizing its interaction with other manned and unmanned aerial vehicles and forming reconnaissance and strike aviation groups based on them.
"This will require fairly large-scale applied research aimed at increasing the autonomy of the Hunter's actions, as well as organizing effective interaction of heterogeneous reconnaissance and strike assets while minimizing human involvement in this process, "the expert stressed.
He added that "one of the intrigues of the upcoming flight tests, in particular, is how the interaction of the two Hunters will be tested.
Fedutinov clarified that in addition to autonomy, development of communication channels and automation of interaction, the concept of using heavy UAVs and ways to integrate them into the grouping of forces and means is of key importance. According to the expert, serious efforts will be required by research organizations of the Russian defense Ministry to form the concept of embedding and using "Hunters" in the framework of reconnaissance and strike systems, including manned aircraft, UAVs and other forces and means.
He added that progress in these areas is likely to be associated with significant financial and, importantly, time costs that exceed the cost of creating the UAV itself.

I wonder if that will change the designation from S to T, so instead of S-70 it will be T-70.

Or is that number already taken by Tu-160?