• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Sukhoi S-70 Okhotnik UAV revealed

QuadroFX

Russia, Chelyabinsk
Reaction score
Website
www.paralay.iboards.ru
The source is unofficial, yes. Payload can be a full-scale model of a bomb. The whole rumour can be a BS.

Last edited:

kitnut617

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
A Russian plastic model kit company called Arma Hobby has just released a 1/72 kit of this ""secret"" aircraft in it's prototype form (like in the first photos posted in this thread) . I'd post a link but it's all in Russian so I won't.

I know everyone is calling it a strike drone, but what if it isn't. What if it's being used to develop a radar that can detect it. It has an uncanny look that resembles the "speculated" shape of the B-21

Last edited:

GARGEAN

Reaction score
I'd post a link but it's all in Russian so I won't.
Like that's something bad and Google Translate was canned.
. What if it's being used to develop a radar that can detect it
???
You suggest that for some reasons they are developing whole funtioning airframe with all attached components and control logic just to do same stuff that they can do in echoess chamber?..

kitnut617

Reaction score
I'd post a link but it's all in Russian so I won't.
Like that's something bad and Google Translate was canned.
Nope, I had problems opening it so I don't trust it.

You suggest that for some reasons they are developing whole funtioning airframe with all attached components and control logic just to do same stuff that they can do in echoess chamber?..
Whole functioning airframes have been used before, right ? And everyone is only speculating that it is a strike drone, right ? It's what everyone wants to believe

GARGEAN

Reaction score
Everyone is just thinking that T-50 is muntirole tactical fighter. In fact it is low orbit nuclear delivery platform.
This is kinda same level of thinking. Especially in light that stuff about S-70 is not only "speculated" but quite a bit told, especially after pair flights with T-50.

In_A_Dream

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
I know everyone is calling it a strike drone, but what if it isn't. What if it's being used to develop a radar that can detect it. It has an uncanny look that resembles the "speculated" shape of the B-21
Or it's similar to the loyal wingman concept that China, US, & AUS are all working on.

kaiserd

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Or it's similar to the loyal wingman concept that China, US, & AUS are all working on.
It appears to intended as an UCAV; otherwise a lot of work to go for some kind of purely radar-test vehicle which doesn’t appear very likely or credible.

Trident

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
The job of characterizing opponent aircraft RCS would typically be done using non-flying models on test ranges and of course numerical simulation. There was a documentary on the test range which does this work in Russia a while back, including their shed of models (B-2, F-22, F-117, JASSM etc.).

kitnut617

Reaction score
Well I did think that was how it was done, but trying to detect a shape like that at very long range and at the operational flight levels (also speculated), would require a flying model I would think. And detect it as soon as possible ----

flateric

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
but trying to detect a shape like that at very long range and at the operational flight levels (also speculated), would require a flying model I would think. And detect it as soon as possible ----
What your assumptions are based on in historical perspective?

kitnut617

Reaction score
Not sure what historical perspective there is, I've seen photos of full size aircraft stuck on a pole for radar measurements, but your testing range is only so far and limited to whatever height the subject has been elevated don't you think. I just thought having a flying example coming in at various heights would really be more real world. And like I said previously, the aircraft does sort of resemble the 'speculated' images of the B-21 shown on the other forum thread. The thoughts had come to mind because of the other thread revealing the USAF using F-117's in tests ---

VTOLicious

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Gentlemen, can Okhotnik, in its current configuration, considered as an all aspect stealth platform, and hence representative for radar tests? Looking at the pics available in public domain it appears that not much effort was made in regards of low observability.

kitnut617

Reaction score
And my first previous comment way up the thread, why has it been revealed ?

panzerfeist1

Reaction score
Website
www.quora.com
Looking at the pics available in public domain it appears that not much effort was made in regards of low observability.
Have you looked at the X-47A than looked at the X-47B? I do think they made it pretty clear they will address the back issue in the future regarding the maks airshow model back in 2019.

quellish

I am not actually here.
Reaction score
Have you looked at the X-47A than looked at the X-47B? I do think they made it pretty clear they will address the back issue in the future regarding the maks airshow model back in 2019.
Both X-47 models were demonstrators. The Pegasus was far, far stealthier than the Salty Dog.

icyplanetnhc

Reaction score
Website
aiaa.seas.ucla.edu
Everyone is just thinking that T-50 is muntirole tactical fighter. In fact it is low orbit nuclear delivery platform.
This is kinda same level of thinking. Especially in light that stuff about S-70 is not only "speculated" but quite a bit told, especially after pair flights with T-50.
What do you mean by “low orbit nuclear delivery platform”?

panzerfeist1

Reaction score
Website
www.quora.com

"The Russian drone drone “Okhotnik” and “Altius” will be armed with high-precision gliding bombs 9-A-7759 “Thunder”. According to Izvestia, citing a source in the military-industrial complex, a fundamental decision on this has already been taken.

According to the publication, the planning bomb 9-A-7759 "Thunder" has already been integrated into the weapons system of the heavy attack drone S-70 "Hunter". Tests for the discharge of mass-scale munitions of ammunition from the drone have already been carried out and are considered successful. In the case of Altius, the integration of planning bombs with the weapon system is not yet complete. In 2018, R&D was conducted to assess the feasibility of using ammunition from a drone, but they were not completed due to a temporary suspension of work on the drone project and the transfer of its development.

It is reported that the Altius medium drone is capable of carrying two gliding munitions 9-A-7759, and the heavy S-70 Hunter up to four in the internal compartments on the external sling.

The planning bomb 9-A-7759 Thunder was developed by Tactical Missile Weapons Corporation in three versions. The weight of the bomb in two versions is about 600 kg, in the third - around 490 kg. The hull length is 4192 cm, the diameter is 310 cm.

Option 9-A-7759, in addition to folding wings, is equipped with a small jet engine. The flight range is 120 km, the mass of military equipment is 315 kg, the power of a high-explosive fragmentation warhead is 2 OFAB 250.

Option 9-A1-7759 - the main engine is replaced with an additional high-explosive fragmentation charge. The flight range is 65 km, the mass of the warhead reaches 480 kg, the power is 1.5 OFAB 500U.

Option 9-A2-7759. It has a high-explosive fragmentation warhead replaced by a thermobaric. The flight range is 65 km, the mass of the warhead is 370 kg, and the power is 2 KAB 500 OD.

Ammunition is inflicted using the onboard inertial navigation system and signals from the GLONASS and NAVSTAR satellites. Deviation from the target at the maximum range is no more than 10 meters. "

Evgeniy

Reaction score
A little about prices, including glider: