Well I did think that was how it was done, but trying to detect a shape like that at very long range and at the operational flight levels (also speculated), would require a flying model I would think. And detect it as soon as possible ----
No, you just dial down the transmitter power till it's at a level that is equal to the slant range for the target. Inverse square rule. (Okay, technically slant range doubled, due to how the inverse square rule works)

Four APR-3ME air launched torpedoes could fit inside one S-70:
(image deleted for space)

It's length is 3250mm, caliber is 350mm and weight is 470kg
Does that include any glide bomb and parachute gear necessary to allow the torpedo to survive impacting the water?

The P8 mods for the Mk54 (High Altitude Anti-Submarine Warfare Weapon Capability (HAAWC) Air Launch Accessory (ALA)) add quite a bit of length.

@Scott Kenny

Yes, it uses a parachute:
apr3-shpr.jpg

Translation of image text:

Distinctive features of the UAV engine
1. Lower location of the gearbox;
2. Lack of an afterburner combustion chamber;
3. Flat inconspicuous jet nozzle;
4. The nozzle is an element of the aircraft airframe.

The output device of the product is an unregulated supersonic jet nozzle of complex shape, providing low IR and radar visibility.
Low visibility is ensured by the shape of the inner channel and the use of special coatings.

I did, it's right above your post.

Cверхзвуковое реактивное сопло doesn't mean Supersonic jet nozzle?

(Fixed) Convergent/divergent might have been less confusing (divergent section = supersonic flow inside the nozzle). Still, a bit weird that they go for supersonic expansion in a vehicle that is firmly subsonic. Possibly to cool the jet for IR signature reduction with the additional expansion?

(Fixed) Convergent/divergent might have been less confusing (divergent section = supersonic flow inside the nozzle). Still, a bit weird that they go for supersonic expansion in a vehicle that is firmly subsonic. Possibly to cool the jet for IR signature reduction with the additional expansion?
That's my guess.

I'm a scifi nerd, and a rocket with a superexpansion nozzle can get its exhaust temp down to 3K, instead of emitting X-rays because it's so hot.

Official designation of S-70 is Su-70B/Су-70Б.
A designation for the new unknown program has also appeared - "Okhotnik-1/Охотник-1". In my opinion, this is either the name for the second stage Su-70B(Su-70M?), or a new lightweight strike stealth-UAV with a deep-modernized RD-33 engine(half of Su-70B).

Source: Russian Academy of Science
thanks to Саморез

Second or later prototype in flight, july 2023:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndarTsAIT4M

Last edited:

Source: state tests of heavy strike UAV "Hunter" is planned to be completed by the end of the year​

According to the interlocutor of the agency, from the beginning of 2024 serial production will be launched with delivery to the troops​

MOSCOW, August 8. /TASS/. State tests of the heavy unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) "Hunter" (index C-70) are planned to be completed by the end of 2023. This was reported to TASS by a source close to the General Command of the Russian Aerospace Forces.

"According to existing plans, the state tests of "Hunter" should be completed by the end of this year, from the beginning of 2024 serial production with delivery to the troops will be launched. The contract provides for the supply of several dozen aircraft," said the agency's interlocutor.

TASS does not have official confirmation of this information.

Does this mean that in 2024/25 Russia will be the first in the world to have a operational 5.gen maned/unmaned combo?

My first guess is that currently, it's not fully operational (the reason I wrote in 2024/25).

My second guess is that it's more operational then USAF F-35 (more like IAF F-35I Adir).

My first guess is that currently, it's not fully operational (the reason I wrote in 2024/25).

My second guess is that it's more operational then USAF F-35 (more like IAF F-35I Adir).
The Su57 more operational than the F-35? Even in 2024/25 or beyond? Come on...let's deal with facts please.

In terms of total combat effectiveness, the Su-57 surpasses the F-35A by 34%

That's an oddly specific number for such a comparison. It also seems like a pointless one given the dearth of Su-57s. The F-35 program has fallen far behind in its weapons integration goals to be sure, but to characterize it is "non operational" is to be disingenuous. It is perfectly capable of firing AIM-120s and dropping various guided bombs, even if air to ground missile integration is behind schedule.

Neither the F-35, nor the Su-57 are UAVs, and only the latter one may have a handful identical parts (nuts or bolts maybe) with the Sukhoi S-70 Okhotnik.
So, please stay on topic !

Second prototype in Akhtubinsk since october BTW:
The second prototype have bigger wingspan (+6,0..6,7%), but virtually the same central, uhm, rhombus.

Attachments

• 21321312344Untitled-1.jpg
    21321312344Untitled-1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Navy to operate Okhotnik, Inokhodets drones​

The Navy will also upgrade Tu-142M3 and Il-38 airplanes, Ka-27 and Ka-31P helicopters and develop prospective antisubmarine aircraft, Nikolay Yevmenov said

MOSCOW, January 10. /TASS/. The Russian naval aviation will be reinforced with Okhotnik and Inokhodets attack drones, Navy Commander-in-Chief Admiral Nikolay Yevmenov said.
"Specific attention is paid to the development of unmanned aviation. The delivery of Inokhodets and Okhotnik modern drones is planned," he told the Krasnaya Zvezda daily.
The Navy will also upgrade Tu-142M3 and Il-38 airplanes, Ka-27 and Ka-31P helicopters and develop prospective antisubmarine aircraft, he said.
The attack and fighter naval aviation is developed by the rearming with modern generation 4++ aircraft (such as multirole Su-30SM2) and the delivery of Ka-52K helicopter gunships, as well as the creation of prospective naval fighter jets.

Navy to operate Okhotnik, Inokhodets drones​

The Navy will also upgrade Tu-142M3 and Il-38 airplanes, Ka-27 and Ka-31P helicopters and develop prospective antisubmarine aircraft, Nikolay Yevmenov said

MOSCOW, January 10. /TASS/. The Russian naval aviation will be reinforced with Okhotnik and Inokhodets attack drones, Navy Commander-in-Chief Admiral Nikolay Yevmenov said.
"Specific attention is paid to the development of unmanned aviation. The delivery of Inokhodets and Okhotnik modern drones is planned," he told the Krasnaya Zvezda daily.
The Navy will also upgrade Tu-142M3 and Il-38 airplanes, Ka-27 and Ka-31P helicopters and develop prospective antisubmarine aircraft, he said.
The attack and fighter naval aviation is developed by the rearming with modern generation 4++ aircraft (such as multirole Su-30SM2) and the delivery of Ka-52K helicopter gunships, as well as the creation of prospective naval fighter jets.

Are they planning to land it on the Project 23900 LHD? Or is it just for land-based Naval Aviation only?

Just Land based Naval Aviation. Though I do remember news about being controlled from LHD, will try to find it.

Found it:

A source in the defense-industrial complex reported this to TASS on the sidelines of the International Military-Technical Forum Army 2020. According to him, it is assumed that, operating with the UDC, the Okhotniki will carry out both strike missions and solve target designation tasks for Zircon hypersonic missiles launched from other ships.

The article does say that 4 will be able to takeoff from LHD but I don’t believe that, it’s just too big. I think this was just miscommunication with the “source”.

Last edited:

Saw this posted on russiadefenseforum and though I think I got the english article here you can see there is an english translation you can select on the site itself. Looks like radar for an unmanned aerial vehicle and the size of the array looks like okhotnik to me. Interesting info though for a guy like me with little knowledge I could only glean slivers of info I could understand.

Edit: added more info