The reasoning escapes me as well. Pretty strange, maybe it was a practical joke/hint by Sukhoi and/or FSB's first department...

IFR doors are strange, since the design change to a different style with one main door is old now, it was implemented first on T-50-7 way back in 2014. (on flying frame it was T-50-6-2, in 2016) T-50-KNS is alive and well (as b/n 057) and it is being presented on MAKS-2021 as it was first on MAKS-2019. This leaves T-50-0 as a candidate for weird cannibalism. That being said, i have hard time imagining converting T-50-0 nose section into... that. But i suppose it is doable.

Seriously, I know they claim to have used "supercomputing technologies" to aid in the design work, but high powered computing and software assistance has been the industry standard for a long time now. The fact that they managed to present a product this far along in development after only a single year is very impressive, even accounting for borrowed technology from it's older sister.

So, Checkmate is 'eT-75' or 'eSu-75', or 'eSu-XX'....

In the US; e.g. HPCMP 'CREATE', plus e.g. 'ADAPT'-software. For fixed wing it´s called 'CREATE-AV'. Used in e.g. the NGAD program. And for B-21. With regard to the F/A-XX 'analysis of alternatives', performance for over 5 million design geometries was evaluated that way, in a relatively very, very short time. Advanced virtual testing & engineering. To speed up things (much less physical testing, whether sub-scale or full-scale) and for getting interchangeable/modular options. 'Digital twins', goal is to have even such a twin for the smallest chip that has to go in the aircraft. Add to that advanced 3D-printing, for producing larger and/or more important components then we are used to see that way.
Whether HPC-virtual engineering will indeed end up delivering prototypes that are ready to go into production 'almost immediately', without the usual need to discover & fix a whole bunch of design-flaws first through elaborate test-flying, remains to be seen. Probably/reasonably they expect to still discover some flaws, but a whole lot less then with previous programs and previous computed designing.
Maybe just some 'minor' flaws that can/will be fixed later (fingers crossed), when they switch to production of a next iteration, or when they just dump the bird for a completely new one, after not much more then 8 to 10 years. At least that seems to be the intention at the moment.
So it didn´t surprise me that much when Will Roper said last year a full-scale NGAD-demonstrator had already been flown in the real world, the whole cycle to get from an initial design to a flying aircraft (which is really as good as hoped for, or maybe not so good after all) gets shortened. If they´ve flown it all the way they wanted without having been back to the 'drawing board' a few times, they´ll be extremely happy. Maybe the demonstrator was just to check if HPC & virtual engineering could indeed make them that happy, before starting in the same manner the real thing they would like to be so happy about. Probably it depends on to what extent they wanted to verify things, and what kind of results they´ve already achieved that way with other stuff.
Anyway, the Russians (unsurprisingly) seem to be taking a similar path.

It has occurred to me that Sukhoi has one of the most practically experienced design teams working right now, in the past decade, they've flow the Su-57, Su-70, and now are designing this. The elegance of the design may reflect that recent experience. Compare to Boeing which in the past decade only designed the USN tanker and outsourced the USAF trainer to SAAB.

Checkmate seems to be a preview of the MR-X program and I half wonder if there aren't a few USAF fleet management experts who wished they could buy in.

Last edited:
162689674883685661.jpg

It seems that Jocker's wings was taken directly from Su-57 )))
A Lego Fighter )))

Well a tragedy just happened today so lets have a moment of silence.

- The sample presented bears the side number "75". Presumably, at the Sukhoi Design Bureau, the project was carried out under the designation T-75. In turn, Bulatov said that the Design Office proposed to assign the Su-75 index for the "internal" version of the aircraft.

- The aircraft is considered officially developed by the OAK on its own initiative without the allocation of the Russian Defense Ministry and with OAK's own funds. It can be assumed that, in fact, part of the funding came from the Russian Ministry of Industry and Commerce (as was the case at one point in the PAK FA program) and, apparently, the work was still coordinated with the military. . Part of the funding may come from a foreign source (the United Arab Emirates may, according to the 2017 agreement).

- The first flight of the LTS prototype is scheduled for 2023, the construction of the next flight prototypes - for 2024-2025, the completion of state tests - for 2026. The first delivery to customers should take place in 5.5 years, that is, at the end of 2026.

- From the characteristics of the LTS aircraft in the presentation, it was reported that it should have a speed of up to M = 1.8-2, a flight range of 3000 km, a ceiling of 16.5 km, a permissible overload of 8g, a payload 7400 kg maximum. LTS chief designer Mikhail Strelets said the LTS "has the greatest flight range for 'light' aircraft and the length of loitering when searching for a target or awaiting target designation, the highest payload capacity."

- The LTS avionics are apparently based on the Su-57 avionics, and the radar with AFAR will presumably be a scaled-down version of the N036 radar with the Su-57 in terms of the number of modules. For LTS radar, the possibility of simultaneous tracking of 30 air targets and shooting six of them is declared (this is about half of the previously announced indicators for H036).

- It is claimed that both the manned versions of the LTS and its unmanned modifications will be able to operate in a network-centric combat system and function as part of a group of manned and unmanned aircraft. "We are planning to carry out such tests," said the chief designer of LTS Strelets.

- Deputy Prime Minister Yuri Borisov said that the Russian Federation has an anchor customer for the new Checkmate light fighter.
"We already have it, we are doing it for him," Borisov said at the MAKS-2021 airshow. He explained that we are talking about a foreign air force.

I mean I get it that their most major radar company RTI and most major EW company KRET state 10 years behind the west in MMIC technology. But I mean you were given more than 10+ years to have improved modules like their biggest rage of mass producing LTCC modules for lower AESA costs and heat resistance. But instead the aircraft is just a downsize of the already existing N036 radar. Better off sticking to Su-57s for domestic production or go serve your pilots as cannon fodder with these aircraft. Now I am just sticking around for the export potential of it. Is it still too late to create a new airborne radar platform?

I mean I get it that their most major radar company RTI and most major EW company KRET state 10 years behind the west in MMIC technology. But I mean you were given more than 10+ years to have improved modules like their biggest rage of mass producing LTCC modules for lower AESA costs and heat resistance. But instead the aircraft is just a downsize of the already existing N036 radar. Better off sticking to Su-57s for domestic production or go serve your pilots as cannon fodder with these aircraft. Now I am just sticking around for the export potential of it. Is it still too late to create a new airborne radar platform?

since it seems the aircraft was designed for a specific foreign customer and other exports
how flexible do you think they will be in terms of incorporating foreign avionics, like on the Su-30 series (although i dont think any of them went as far as adopting a non-Russian radar set).

Well a tragedy just happened today so lets have a moment of silence.

- The sample presented bears the side number "75". Presumably, at the Sukhoi Design Bureau, the project was carried out under the designation T-75. In turn, Bulatov said that the Design Office proposed to assign the Su-75 index for the "internal" version of the aircraft.

- The aircraft is considered officially developed by the OAK on its own initiative without the allocation of the Russian Defense Ministry and with OAK's own funds. It can be assumed that, in fact, part of the funding came from the Russian Ministry of Industry and Commerce (as was the case at one point in the PAK FA program) and, apparently, the work was still coordinated with the military. . Part of the funding may come from a foreign source (the United Arab Emirates may, according to the 2017 agreement).

- The first flight of the LTS prototype is scheduled for 2023, the construction of the next flight prototypes - for 2024-2025, the completion of state tests - for 2026. The first delivery to customers should take place in 5.5 years, that is, at the end of 2026.

- From the characteristics of the LTS aircraft in the presentation, it was reported that it should have a speed of up to M = 1.8-2, a flight range of 3000 km, a ceiling of 16.5 km, a permissible overload of 8g, a payload 7400 kg maximum. LTS chief designer Mikhail Strelets said the LTS "has the greatest flight range for 'light' aircraft and the length of loitering when searching for a target or awaiting target designation, the highest payload capacity."

- The LTS avionics are apparently based on the Su-57 avionics, and the radar with AFAR will presumably be a scaled-down version of the N036 radar with the Su-57 in terms of the number of modules. For LTS radar, the possibility of simultaneous tracking of 30 air targets and shooting six of them is declared (this is about half of the previously announced indicators for H036).

- It is claimed that both the manned versions of the LTS and its unmanned modifications will be able to operate in a network-centric combat system and function as part of a group of manned and unmanned aircraft. "We are planning to carry out such tests," said the chief designer of LTS Strelets.

- Deputy Prime Minister Yuri Borisov said that the Russian Federation has an anchor customer for the new Checkmate light fighter.
"We already have it, we are doing it for him," Borisov said at the MAKS-2021 airshow. He explained that we are talking about a foreign air force.

It isn't that simple. Remember we are probably talking about around half the energy generation of the su 57 and it is smaller. This is not a bad thing it is meant for many different roles. Besides that the ruskies have improved on their mmic tech and have developed newer GaAs modules with over double the power ratings of the originals. It will be plenty enough for this aircraft. Firstly let's say this aircraft cab detect aircraft at 3 square meters at 200km. This is plenty enough as even with the most advanced missiles like r77m and amraam er the engagement distances will almost surely be at most 120 to 70 km 98 percent of the time. Also one on one fights are pretty rare and combined arms abilities of the US and Russia with their network centric warfare abilities are both very good. I more imagine these t75 aircraft in quiet recieve mode while taking active radar data from an su57 or something.

Anyways the smaller radar is not as much my concern as is the cost per vehicle/maintenance, success of the logistics of the program itself, aftermarket care capabilities, and lower on the list stuff like the success of the sensor fusion of the various parts etc..

Edit: had to delete some excess quoting.

since it seems the aircraft was designed for a specific foreign customer and other exports
how flexible do you think they will be in terms of incorporating foreign avionics, like on the Su-30 series (although i dont think any of them went as far as adopting a non-Russian radar set).

I'd consider it almost a given. It's reportedly designed with open architecture systems, allowing simpler, more painless integration of new systems and upgrades.

If anything, it would have more modification and foreign integration potential than the Su-30 ever did.

It's still an speculation. Paralay guys compared nosecone and cockpit size with that of Su-57 - they are virtually the same. Volume-wise you can install N036 in it, the only question is power draw (we have only one generator, since we have one engine and cooling). And even then 1524 TR with 7.2 W power should be better than 1100 TR with 10W.

I'd consider it almost a given. It's reportedly designed with open architecture systems, allowing simpler, more painless integration of new systems and upgrades.

If anything, it would have more modification and foreign integration potential than the Su-30 ever did.

if thats true, and there are still issues with the Radar systems.. then slap some Elbit or RBE2s in there!
although not sure how any foreign radar sets could work given some of the sanction issues.
perhaps a Chinese set? :p

It's still an speculation. Paralay guys compared nosecone and cockpit size with that of Su-57 - they are virtually the same. Volume-wise you can install N036 in it, the only question is power draw (we have only one generator, since we have one engine and cooling). And even then 1524 TR with 7.2 W power should be better than 1100 TR with 10W.

The FGA-35 estimates 3m2 at 250kms based on smaller size, N035 is 3m2 at 350kms which is why it is always assumed that the N036 will be better because its AESA in performance than the N035 according to radar manufactures that have announced the information before. What they are comparing in that forum is entirely different from what my news source just said.

Their airshow they state is about destroying other 5th gens with that 5th gen meaning you are seriously offending the hell out of the U.S. and Chinese saying that. It is considered false advertising and there is some info disclosed which I mentioned not to long ago of what a F-35 pilot said about seeing targets(he had to get in serious trouble) at what distance

Last edited:
The main constraint would be cooling demands. as AESA is hot and will always be so. So putting more powerful modules may not always be the desired solution. If Checkmate has Su-57 nose radome, then yeah a same sized array can be installed but with less module power. The goal would be to maximize the amount of TRM that populates the

So far avionics cooling relies on either air-cooled architecture or liquid cooled. Liquid so far seems to be more prevalent nowadays while air cooling may persist mainly because they are much lighter. Air cooling however are subject to flight conditions like speed, altitude etc which may introduce some limitations on what modes or even what altitude your radar can operate, and means have to be developed so that your heat exchanger wont show up in enemy Infra red sensor. the JSF did this by actually having its heat exchanger mounted on the F-135's.

Other methods would be using fuel as heatsink. This put constraint on how much fuel one can use to fly and the heat exchanger might be heavier but it might offer better heat capacity.

Either way the cooling demand will put a hard limit on the Average power that can be emitted by the radar and thus range. This average power is then further dictates how radar would like to operate.

Development continues:

The United Aircraft Corporation (UAC) and the Shvabe holding, which are part of the Rostec State Corporation, have entered into an agreement to develop and supply a 24-hour optical-electronic sighting system KOEPS-75 for the newest Russian light tactical aircraft (LTS) Checkmate, presented at the International Aviation and Space Salon MAKS-2021

I really want to see this thing fly.

You'd think they'd have some video of test articles flying, wouldn't you?

Not calling bullshit yet but...
The first flight of the LTS prototype is scheduled for 2023, the construction of the next flight prototypes - for 2024-2025, the completion of state tests - for 2026.
Looks like I might have a bit of a wait.
I think i have read "late 2022" as a possible early date if all goes well as well. Of note; The frame shown is the actual frame that will take the first flight. I am not sure, but the way it sounded this is the frame that will be undergoing static frame testing as well prior to the first flight. They are planning to finish static testing in about a year from now. So frame is ahead, subsystems and integration is what is "lagging". If they hit all their target dates it will be quite impressive and fast development for a modern frame. Lets hope they dont find any nasty surprises during static testing like they did with T-50...

Anyway, the Russians (unsurprisingly) seem to be taking a similar path.
Everyone is doing the same, what strikes me is that US thinks they can get an advantage over their rivals by going that way. If all, it allows smaller economies to undertake more ambitious projects, since the development effort and cost is greatly reduced.

I really want to see this thing fly.

You'd think they'd have some video of test articles flying, wouldn't you?

Not calling bullshit yet but...
The first flight of the LTS prototype is scheduled for 2023, the construction of the next flight prototypes - for 2024-2025, the completion of state tests - for 2026.
Looks like I might have a bit of a wait.
I think i have read "late 2022" as a possible early date if all goes well as well. Of note; The frame shown is the actual frame that will take the first flight. I am not sure, but the way it sounded this is the frame that will be undergoing static frame testing as well prior to the first flight. They are planning to finish static testing in about a year from now. So frame is ahead, subsystems and integration is what is "lagging". If they hit all their target dates it will be quite impressive and fast development for a modern frame. Lets hope they dont find any nasty surprises during static testing like they did with T-50...
can you clarify what happened during the static test? thanks in advnce

I will bet anything this is vapor ware. The Russian government has no need of this aircraft and neither does anyone else who could possibly afford it, even if it was as unrealistically cheap as it is being projected.

It’s a clever marketing campaign and nothing more.

I will bet anything this is vapor ware. The Russian government has no need of this aircraft and neither does anyone else who could possibly afford it, even if it was as unrealistically cheap as it is being projected.

I love how Russia hasn't enough money to fully equip itself with the Felon, but simultaneously also has no need for a lighter, cheaper to operate advanced fighter.

Soooo what?... In 30 years, is the fighter wing of the VKS going to be flying around in a couple hundred Su-57s and nothing else?

No. As it turns out, they absolutely do have need for a platform like this. In fact, it's exactly what they need, at least if they want to maintain a sufficient (both in size and capability) fighter wing into the mid-century.

Is it me or do I see re-use of Su-57 elements here?

Is it me or do I see re-use of Su-57 elements here?
yes quite a few like mentioned earlier.
the canopy, the wheels.. some one said the wing and radome too.
and the radar seems to be a downsized version

totally random, but had they pushed the intake a bit further in, it would look so much sleeker. but would obviously come at the cost of the bay
just a quick shop from Aleducat's original model

Zb1e7za.png

1626886174-369b4b7553633f61621f03d141b3e3d9.jpeg

Some smart gentlemen spared us a lot of talk with the diagram above

Yes, yes, of course, "marketing campaign", "paper plane", "fancy model", "wooden mockup", "cheap toy"...something else?

It's time to sum up everything that is known so far:

General characteristics

Crew: 1 (later versions for 2 or unmanned)
Length: 18m
Wingspan: 12m
Height:
Empty weight: 8.000 - 9.500kg
Maximum takeoff weight: 18.000kg
Payload: 7.400kg
Engine: initially Al-41F1, later Izd. 30 with 3D TVC

Performance

Max. speed: Mach 1.8 - 2
Supercruise: Mach 1.5 - 1.6 (targeted)
Range: 2800 - 3000km
Service ceiling: 16.500m
Max. overload: 8g (11-12g for unmanned version)

Armament

Air to Air*:
2x RVV-MD
3x RVV-SD
1x 30mm cannon (-1x RVV-MD then)
*info. for internal carage only.

Air to Ground:
Kh-38MLE, Kh-58UShKE, Grom-E1, Grom-E2, FAB-250M, KAB-250LG-E, K08BE, K029BE
FAB-100, FAB-250, FAB-500
S-8, S13

Avionics

Radar: N036 with "adjusted" capabilities for export, able to track 30 targets engage 6 simultaneously.

Integrated electro-optical suite: 101KS-V for A-A, 101KS-U, 101KS-O (later), KOEPS-75 for A-G (optional)

Price

$25-$45 million depending on the configuration.

Now this is just preliminary and is subject to change :cool:

Sources:
Size
Speed and range
Presentation
Information from the presentation (supercruise, TVC-range, empty weight, engine, 101KS-O, HMD, price, ....)

Last edited:
Is there really a need to respond to an obvious, low-quality trolling attempt?

Last edited:
If it's re-use of components as design elements, this does make sense and carries an interesting possibility.
That Sukhoi has had this plan all along.

And arguably this does make sense. Do the heavy lifting in design and development on the big twin, but always have the smaller, cheaper single engined design ready to go. Re-sing as much as possible.

In fact it makes sense from a Russian state perspective. Investment is thus maximised, industry and military kept in synchrony.
And finally a MiG21 / F16 successor.

If the Qatari are interested wasn't there Gulf State Investment with MiG a whole back?

Could be a switch of funding to this by them.

18 meters. just like 2 meter shorter than 57. this thing is quite huge eh.

If you want to have the R-37 in the internal weapon bay then you would have to design the fighter to be bigger than it otherwise would have been.
There is an internal variant of R-37 in development - izd. 810.

18 meters. just like 2 meter shorter than 57. this thing is quite huge eh.
its a bit longer but thinner than the F-35, but also a lot lighter, if those earlier stats were right.
Well Empty weight figure is something one should have a healthy dose of doubt tho as there are so many stories already on empty weight figure creeping up during design.

Don't take the fact that shapes being similar, it means that some components are identical...
This is called a Similitude in Mathematics, a replication of a form at the same or a different scale.
Here the fact that you have similar shapes is for RCS design: re-using an analog form ensures that stealth shaping will be easier. It's all the experience of Sukhoi designing the Su57 that can be beneficial.

Question: where does the dimension in length comes from?