I honestly don't believe this will even be a truly stealth design.

Will it include methods of reducing radar signature? Probably.

Will it be totally stealth? I Doubt it.

So far, stealth and mass production do not go well together, and from what I can tell, this is being designed for export, meaning that it will have to be cheap, something that stealth isn't.

I honestly don't believe this will even be a truly stealth design.

Will it include methods of reducing radar signature? Probably.

Will it be totally stealth? I Doubt it.

So far, stealth and mass production do not go well together, and from what I can tell, this is being designed for export, meaning that it will have to be cheap, something that stealth isn't.
Could be, im more interested in that it could be a single engine design, quite a change to be fair. Maybe stealth would be optional?, considering that they kinda claim that its a "competitor to the F-35", in some way there might be bringing some sort of stealth capability?

So how much stealth would the new fighter feature? More than the Su-57?

Having 2nd thoughts that it might not be stealth because of course the amount of money you have to invest on it and having a major superpower throw around sanctions for the possibilities of countries purchasing the aircrafts see Turkey S-400 deal. I only think it would be great idea having a 5th gen worth making is that NATO countries do not get repercussions from purchasing it. I would just recommend them to keep making progress in detonation engines, 3 stream cycle engines, photonic radars, air to air and air to ground missiles, etc. for another future design for their own needs instead.

Last edited:

I'm reminded of Sukhoi's marketing of every variation of Flanker that they could think of through the '90s, some aircraft even changing designation between leaving Moscow and arriving at the Paris Airshow because their general designer had a new brainwave for what might sell (Su-32FN if memory serves). And outside of sales of basically standard aircraft to China, there was very little to show for it. (I'd be amazed if they made money on the Indian sales given the degree of rework for a piddling number of airframes at each standard).

And that was a well-established aircraft with existing production lines.

This whatever-it-is is at best going to be at early flight-trials status. Everyone has seen this before, they only need to look at the Felon to know it's likely at least 10 years from delivery, and that moving through to production is questionable. It needs to get through flight trials, it needs to get through system integration, it needs to get through productionization, and someone needs to lay down the money for establishing the production line, which isn't going to be an export customer outside India or China, and they'd want that production line at home. So unless this has Russian state backing, and a significant RuAF procurement to back it and pay for the production line, it's going to be dead on arrival. And even with that it will only sell on the export market if it is cheaper than US and European alternatives, which rules out stealth.

It might just possibly be check, it's very far from checkmate. And if it's more than a pawn sacrifice I'll be surprised.

Argentina?!
Yes, as one of potential customers.
Well, to say that such an order would derail Argentina-NATO relations would be a tad bit of an understatement...
TBH, i dont see what so important relations may be between the NATO and a South American country that fought against one of the main members of NATO in 1982. But i might be wrong.
Argentina is a Major non-NATO ally...

So now its a mig aircraft instead of sukhoi?

"Fundamentally new" combat aircraft of Russia is being created on the basis of the MiG concern

Rostec announced the premiere of a "fundamentally new" combat aircraft, which will be presented on the first day of the MAKS-2021 air show. As Gazeta.Ru found out, this aircraft will become the first single-engine fighter, and its development is being carried out on the basis of the MiG aircraft concern. Experts believe that the export potential of the newest fighter can be compared with the American best-seller F-35.
The new aircraft will be made by the MiG aviation concern on the basis of one of its developments, a source in the military-industrial complex told Gazeta.Ru.

“It will be a light multipurpose aircraft capable of operating against both air and ground targets. Its single-engine layout will be its principal feature, ”the source said.

But, as the source notes, "now the reliability of engines allows you to create single-engine machines - they require less fuel consumption and are more economical with the same weight and size characteristics."

At the same time, the aircraft will have a developed control system based on artificial intelligence, which will allow the pilot to minimize his participation in piloting. "Unmanned technologies of behavior in space will be actively used, so that in the event of, for example, a pilot's injury or loss of consciousness, the aircraft will continue its flight and will be able to safely return to the departure airport," the representative of the defense industry explained.

It might just possibly be check, it's very far from checkmate. And if it's more than a pawn sacrifice I'll be surprised.
That's a good way of putting it, and I have a burning suspicion you will be right. If no orders roll in, it will probably end up like the MiG-35, dead in the water, just flying around at airshows to entertain crowds.

So now its a mig aircraft instead of sukhoi?

"Fundamentally new" combat aircraft of Russia is being created on the basis of the MiG concern

Rostec announced the premiere of a "fundamentally new" combat aircraft, which will be presented on the first day of the MAKS-2021 air show. As Gazeta.Ru found out, this aircraft will become the first single-engine fighter, and its development is being carried out on the basis of the MiG aircraft concern. Experts believe that the export potential of the newest fighter can be compared with the American best-seller F-35.
The new aircraft will be made by the MiG aviation concern on the basis of one of its developments, a source in the military-industrial complex told Gazeta.Ru.

“It will be a light multipurpose aircraft capable of operating against both air and ground targets. Its single-engine layout will be its principal feature, ”the source said.

But, as the source notes, "now the reliability of engines allows you to create single-engine machines - they require less fuel consumption and are more economical with the same weight and size characteristics."

At the same time, the aircraft will have a developed control system based on artificial intelligence, which will allow the pilot to minimize his participation in piloting. "Unmanned technologies of behavior in space will be actively used, so that in the event of, for example, a pilot's injury or loss of consciousness, the aircraft will continue its flight and will be able to safely return to the departure airport," the representative of the defense industry explained.

No, there is wrong info. It’s Sukhoi.

No, there is wrong info. It’s Sukhoi.
Thanks for the info so Sukhoi thinks a supposedly 4th gen can compete with F-35 on sales(just like Swedes on Gripen) and than they have the audacity to go show a U.S. pilot interested in buying the aircraft in the video along with someone having an air force F-35 patch being also interested in purchasing the aircraft. I am surprised users here are handling their condescending approach well.

Edit: more sources

MOSCOW, May 26. /TASS/. The company "Sukhoi" (part of the United Aircraft Corporation of the state corporation "Rostec") is developing the first Russian single-engine light tactical fighter with supersonic speed and low radar visibility. This was reported by TASS a source in the aircraft industry.

"Sukhoi is developing the first single-engine light tactical aircraft in the modern history of Russia with a take-off weight of up to 18 tons. The aircraft will develop a maximum flight speed of more than Mach 2, and also has super-efficiency and improved take-off and landing characteristics due to the deflected thrust vector of the engine, the thrust-to-weight ratio of the aircraft is at least 1, "the agency's interlocutor said.

In December 2020, the head of the state corporation Rostec, Sergei Chemezov, told reporters that Rostec is proactively working on the concept of a promising single-engine aircraft in the light and middle classes. According to him, it can be a universal platform in manned and unmanned versions. Development is done proactively without budget funds.

MOSCOW, April 16 — RIA Novosti. In Russia, research has begun to create a new platform for operational and tactical aviation, the press service of the United Aircraft Corporation told RIA Novosti (Oak, included in "Rostec").
In particular, at the end of last year, the RAC "MiG" placed an order for the study "Aerodynamic calculation of a light multifunctional front-line aircraft of a twin-engine scheme, comparison with foreign analogues" for the period 2020-2025. Information about this was posted on the public procurement portal. The cost of the work is estimated at four million rubles.
As explained to RIA Novosti in the United Aircraft Corporation (as part of the Rostec Group), the engineering centers of the UAC are constantly working on new models of equipment. "There are exploratory and conceptual studies. This includes new platforms of operational-tactical aviation. These projects will make up a promising program of work of the Sukhoi Design Bureau and the Mikoyan Design Bureau within the framework of the UAC Military Aviation Division being formed, "the press service said, commenting on information from public procurement.
Currently, Russia is testing the Su-57 (formerly PAK FA, experimental name - T-50) - Russian fifth-generation fighter, designed to destroy all types of air, ground and surface targets. It first took to the air in 2010. The combination of high maneuverability with the ability to perform supersonic flight, as well as a modern complex of on-board equipment and low visibility provide the Su-57 with superiority over competitors. VKS signed a contract for the supply of 76 machines of this type.

Maybe they are presenting both projects to see if there is any foreign interests before the MOD finances it? If they present the new Su-57 with its new features along with space companies showcasing more nuclear TEM space projects, than its going to be one hell of an entertaining airshow.

Last edited:
looking at the bump between the nose and canopy I am interested in that new forward looking IRST.

Intake location will be interesting. Its Sukhoi not MiG. I'd expect maximum reuse of Su-57 technology. Kind of like the MFI/LFI plan. Izdeliyie 30 engine would be interesting but maybe 117 for an export fighter.
Ventral, as seen in the teaser video and Borisov's desk. From the location and type of the nose wheel there is no other option

The size dimensions for me will be the interesting part.
Like a F-16, but a bit longer with extended middle fuselage for weapons and fuel

"MOSCOW, May 26. /TASS/.
In December 2020, the head of the state corporation Rostec, Sergei Chemezov, told reporters that Rostec is proactively working on the concept of a promising single-engine aircraft in the light and middle classes. According to him, it can be a universal platform in manned and unmanned versions. Development is done proactively without budget funds.
"

We may have completely misunderstood who the hype is aimed at. It's not potential export markets, it's the Russian government in an attempt to get them to fund development of a private venture aircraft developed without a requirement. Think of this as a Russian FC-31, and potentially a Sukhoi development based on a conclusion that Su 57 is never going to be ordered in the numbers needed to make significant money and that they therefore need something cheaper to break open the MoD purse-strings

(If it's meant for 'the middle classes', does that make it Russia's first bourgeois fighter? ;) )

"MOSCOW, April 16 — RIA Novosti.
In particular, at the end of last year, the RAC "MiG" placed an order for the study "Aerodynamic calculation of a light multifunctional front-line aircraft of a twin-engine scheme, comparison with foreign analogues" for the period 2020-2025. Information about this was posted on the public procurement portal. The cost of the work is estimated at four million rubles."

Before anyone gets excited, 4 million roubles is a bit under $54k, and yes, I mean k, not m (and I went back and confirmed it in the original article). That's probably about the weekly budget for a small design office. And it's basically a six month old project, so don't expect much.

Like first day of Christmas shopping at the store with the "must have" toy for the kids.

Rostec must have hired a 5th Avenue agency on this one.

Good on'em!

Will be refreshing Twitter every five minutes tomorrow.

Ventral, as seen in the teaser video and Borisov's desk. From the location and type of the nose wheel there is no other option

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think it has ventral intake, just a saggy cover...

I suspect they're trying to sacrifice the Su 57 to get sales to the RuAF of this instead, so I was right, it's a pawn sacrifice/exchange.

Intake location will be interesting. Its Sukhoi not MiG. I'd expect maximum reuse of Su-57 technology. Kind of like the MFI/LFI plan. Izdeliyie 30 engine would be interesting but maybe 117 for an export fighter.

I'm thinking of this. So kind of "Half Su-57"

Lateral inlet, with Su-57-like SRAAM bays, and one large centerline internal bay. The centerline bay can carry 2 Kh-69 (used to be Kh-59MK2). Seems to be reasonable with true S-duct.

Large bay.png

-----------
Regarding dimension.. 16 m seems to be very likely. While weight can perhaps be estimated through possible engine options and some assumptions regarding the required T/W. a single 117S can make about 14500 Kgf of thrust, thus If T/W ratio is needed to be 1 then the MTOW of the fighter cannot exceed the thrust value and 14500 Kg seems unlikely, but if the required T/W is 0.9 or 0.7 Then 16 to 20 metric tonne of MTOW seems to be reasonable.

I'm agnostic on it, but you could stick a wing-root/under LERX intake like F-18 or Rafale about where that lighter grey patch is on the tarp.

I suspect they're trying to sacrifice the Su 57 to get sales to the RuAF of this instead, so I was right, it's a pawn sacrifice/exchange.
Why would RuAF even need this?

Source I just threw in for the Si-57 thread they are expecting "100s" of su-57s(pending 76 aircraft contract). This definitely mostly export interest.

On the one hand there is no bump at the sides for an lateral intake, on the other the geometry of the landing gear, door and nose reveal the intake below the cockpit and a thin flat nose. The strut and door correspond exactly with the take from below we saw at the teaser video. And then we have the Borisov's model. I think it is almost certain.

What seems intriguing and was present at the Borisov's model too is a very marked strake / chine or extended LERX at the side of the fuselage, starting about the front canopy glazing... maybe it is a new interesting aerodynamic feature

I suspect they're trying to sacrifice the Su 57 to get sales to the RuAF of this instead, so I was right, it's a pawn sacrifice/exchange
I suspect we are going to be hearing drivel for another 10 years as we have been hearing for the PAK-FA. Will it be truly stealthy? Will the Russians have rubles to produce it? For God's sake...

Good question, but it's the only way it's getting productionized, so Sukhoi have to try.

This isn't based on anything though. People need to let go of the silly myth that the 57 is funding starved or won't be bought in the hundreds.

View attachment 660672
I guess?

The order for the latest fifth-generation Su-57 fighters may be measured in hundreds. This was during a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin said the General Director of the United Aircraft Corporation (UAC) Yuri Slyusar.

Any talks of sacrificing Su-57 production numbers seems out of the question just in case anyone missed the news on that thread.

You suspect... Based on what, exactly? And did you just cite your own theory as confirmation for your previous trite analogy?

Rock-solid reasoning, to be certain.

Last edited: