successor to Aichi D3A1 Val

T-50

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
I was wondering of there was a successor to the Aichi D3A1 Val dive bomber,I know there were some competitors to this design like the Nakajima D3N and later came the Judy.
Were the Japanese developing under the Shi16 program a pure dive bomber to replace the Val and the Judy dive bombers?
Hopefully somebody can help me

I think B3A's successor was Kugisho Suisei (D4Y, Judy).
D4Y's successor was Aichi B7A.

Hello blackkite that cant be because B7A Grace was a torpedo bomber,not a dive bomber.
OK the D4Y was a more suitable successor to the Val,with a in line engine.
But i cant believe that Japanese engineers were not developing a more advanced type to succeed both types .
Maybe more advanced versions of the D4Y Suisei,I know that later into the war they must replace the in line engine with a radial engine to ease the production of this aircraft.they must at least made plans to improve the aircraft further.
I hope there is some info about these improvements on the Suisei

I think the B7A was meant to supercede both torpedo and dive-bomber aircraft then in service (it had an internal bomb bay), much like how both the TBF and SB2C were superceded by the A1H/A-1 Skyraider in USN service (which could carry up to three torpedoes - much more than the single torpedo typically carried by the Avenger!)

Except development of the Yokosuka D4Y appears to have continued right through to the end of the war with the final variant being proposed with Homare engine.

I saw on the forum J-aircraft.com a picture of a unknown torpedo bomber project build by the firm Kugisho.
Was kugisho working on a torpedobomber project? or maybe they were working on more torpedo bomber projects
I hope someone had some answers for me

T-50 said:
I saw on the forum J-aircraft.com a picture of a unknown torpedo bomber project build by the firm Kugisho.
Was kugisho working on a torpedobomber project? or maybe they were working on more torpedo bomber projects
I hope someone had some answers for me
Yes I used to see that design.

Back
Top Bottom