IAI Arrow 3

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score

"This morning, the Ministry of Defense along with the US Missile Defense Agency, conducted the first successful test using the "Arrow 3" defense system designated for interception of ballistic missiles outside of the atmosphere.

For the past three years, the Ministry of Defense, IAI (Israeli Aerospace Industries) and IAF have been conducting tests on the "Arrow 3". This morning another one was conducted.

After launching the Sparrow target missile, the Arrow's radar system identified the target, transferred its specs to the battle management center, which analyzed it and conducted a full interception plan. With the completion of the plan, an "Arrow 3" interceptor was launched towards the target and destroyed it in space. There are plans for more tests of the "Arrow 3" interceptor system in the future, until the division becomes operational.

The first test of flight in "Arrow 3" interceptor was conducted in February, 2013, as part of a series of developments and tests of its parameters. This was an additional step in building Israel's operational abilities to withstand threats. The first test was conducted in a test range in the center of Israel."

Last edited:
IAI video explaining Arrow 3 operations. I wonder how different this is from THAAD?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z93F1TnxfTM

fredymac said:
IAI video explaining Arrow 3 operations. I wonder how different this is from THAAD?

Arrow 3 is exoatmospheric only which is why they need to keep Arrow 2 around. THAAD does both. Arrow 3 might more divert capability (might) because of the way it maneuvers. It's KKV can actually change the direction it's flying where things like THAAD, SM-3, and such only translate side to side. On the other hand, unless the Arrow 3 KKV also has a separate divert system, it's reaction time is likely slower. THAAD-EX would use the upper stage to not only increase range but to significantly increase divert capability (both in and out of the atmosphere) giving the best of all possibilities.

Loren said:
Apparently an Arrow 2 missile was used to intercept and destroy a S-200 SAM missile that had locked on to an Israeli F-15 over Northern Israel
http://debka.com/article/25970/Israeli-air-strikes-in-Syria-intercepts-missile

That's the first missile intercept of a SAM I believe.

Nope. PAT (Patriot) has been used as a target many times. Talos (SAM) was Vandal (missile target). BOMARCs were used as targets. Nike Zeus shot down Nike Hercules missiles. The Russians have used old SA-1s (Guild) as targets as well.

bring_it_on said:
I think he meant operationally.

Where is the evidence that it was an S-200? I've seen the claim several times now but no sources. ???

:eek: B)
@reutersanders said:
This rare image unveil Israel's protected shelter concept for the Arrow ABM system.
It is obviously not exclusively for A 3 (as I thought) but for A 2 also.
Inside the shelter there are 6 static launchers.
The reason to have a mix of static & mobile launchers are not quite clear...

Pictures at Twitter: https://twitter.com/reutersanders/status/996406310169169920

Using the same testing infrastructure as Ground-Based Midcourse?

Last edited:

I hope the U.K. follows Germany.
I think the UK will likely either opt for the Franco-Italian Aster Blk II BMD since all the VLS cells on Type 45s are Sylver A50s, or go with SM-3, since Type 26s have Mk41s fitted. My money would be on the latter, and I think there is an Aegis based land system in the works too.

I understand while Aster 30 Bk ll is capable against S/IRBM, it’s well short of energy to address the top end threat, so will need a whole development cycle, maybe 10 years. I believe Arrow 3 is regarded as more capable than SM6 and THAAD particularly in terms of chased down manoeuvring.

A ready now system has a quality all of its own.

Last edited:
I understand while Aster 30 Bk ll is capable against S/IRBM, it’s well short of energy to address the top end threat, so will need a whole development cycle, maybe 10 years. I believe Arrow 3 is regarded as more capable than SM6 and THAAD particularly in terms of chased down manoeuvring.

Apples and oranges. Arrow 3 is strictly exoatmospheric only. More like SM-3 albeit less capable. SM-6 is atmospheric only and THAAD can do both.

Aster 30 BlkII can intercept ballistic missiles with a range up to 1500km, so you're looking at a Mach 10 or 3km/s target speed limitation. Endo-atmospheric only. SM-3 Blk2A can intercept any ballistic threat up to and including ICBM warheads. SM-6 can do all endo-atmospheric targets up to MRBM/IRBM(?). Aegis is the better capability.

The Russians have used old SA-1s (Guild) as targets as well.

The SA-1 Guild targets will have long since been all expended however I understand that Russia still has a large number of SA-2 Guidelines modified into missile-targets (I forget what its designation is though).

Well, today Arrow-3 sucsessfully intercepted medium-range ballistic missile, launched from Yemen. The interception was exoatmospheric, on 80+ kilometers altitude... So technically, it was a first real battle fought in space.
Pretty brazen Iranian participation there too.

From another thread (source @Grey Havoc )

Former financial advisor to the IDF Chief of General Staff estimates a cost of about 4-5 billion NIS, or 1-1.3 billion USD.

https://www.ynet.co.il/economy/article/rkl6kwygr

This is not sustainable. This is 5% of the IDF's annual budget spent in one night.

A single David's Sling missile costs $1 million. A single Arrow costs $3.5 million without specifying the variant (likely Arrow 2).

He estimates the cost for Iran was about 10% of that.

From another thread (source @Grey Havoc )
I doubt Iran's costs were only 10% of that. They fired at least 120+ ballistic missiles ranging from 500-1500km, plus 185+drones and 36 cruise missiles. I think it's a case of the $20k Shahed-136s that actually cost $290k again. People are using the wiki value of $150k for Fatteh-313, a near 9m long ballistic missile and probably similar pure fantasy values for Fattah-1 costs. I doubt Iran can sustain that level of attack, even assuming it wasn't bombed to kingdom come in the process of trying.

Iranian MRBM remains (Dead Sea Coast):

Diameter ~1.5m, Good luck convincing me that cost <$1m.
1713121193324.png

Some interesting information on Arrow 3. Never realised it was so much smaller than Arrow 2.

The Arrow 3 missile consists of a two-stage, solid-fueled booster with a separating kinetic kill vehicle (KV). Smaller than the Arrow 2, the missile fits in a 21-inch vertical launch tube and has an estimated flyout range of up to 2,400 km.

Last edited:
It would appear that the Arrow 3 (And Arrow 2) have performed well in their first combat use.

Iranian MRBM remains (Dead Sea Coast):

Diameter ~1.5m, Good luck convincing me that cost <$1m.
1713121193324.png

That and other missile wreckage should provide an intelligence windfall for the Israelis concerning the design and construction of Iranian missiles.

Edit: Where did you get the photograph from?

Last edited by a moderator:
It would appear that the Arrow 3 (And Arrow 2) have performed well in their first combat use.

That and other missile wreckage should provide an intelligence windfall for the Israelis concerning the design and construction of Iranian missiles.

Edit: Where did you get the photograph from?
I can spot one very interesting difference already,the spent booster looks to be [judging from what we can see in the pic] surprisingly very intact after its fall from the edge of space.
This is likely due to the new spiral wound construction of the body,I would imagine this is some sort of composite or composite reinforced material.This had been used in the solid fueled missiles program but now evidently in the liquid fueled program as well.
It could be that the EMAD program wasnt just about a new terminally guided warhead,but a new,or improved,booster to cary it as well.
%D8%B5%D9%88%D8%A7%D8%B1%D9%8A%D8%AE-%D8%A7%D9%8A%D8%B1%D8%A7%D9%86-%D8%AA%D8%AD%D8%AA-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A7%D8%B1%D8%B6.png

Ghadrs from a decade ago showing typical construction
8C0FE145-9D90-4EFF-B469-E8DB5453EDBD.jpg
Qiam spent booster from ain alasad strike