• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

SU-25 in the middle east.

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
Apparently a sholder launched missile brought down an SU-25 which I find difficult to believe. Do the Russian air force not use an integrated air space mission? Chaff and flares cannot be 100% obviously but overwatch, even drones would seem to be able to provide warnings and covering fire for downed crews. That the pilot was killed by one of the militia involved is a sad indictment of the current trends but then that is a topic for another outlet. My thoughts here are for the technical side of the aircraft and systems in use use by the Russian air force. Just what did they use to bring down the SU-25?

Avimimus

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
There is actually footage from multiple angles: The Su-25 had just made a rocket run and there was some anti-aircraft fire. However, it was shot down by a large explosion in the aft-quarter and some frames of the footage appear to show the flare of a missile engine approaching it. The Su-25 wasn't releasing flares and the pilot clearly didn't anticipate the threat.

I think you over-estimate the Russian capabilities in Syria. They've been doing a lot more with a lot less than the United States would uses - including by flying more sorties with the same number of aircraft. Honestly, it was impressive how quickly they were able to move to rescue the pilot of the downed Su-24 a few years ago (and even then they lost a helicopter in the process).

_Del_

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
I think people undervalue the Manpad threat. The US will generally not fly if there is a credible Manpad threat. It's very hard to be alerted. MAWS gear is typically not that great, so someone needs to get an eye on it. And the pilot has to quickly integrate what he knows from MAWS or someone else into a plan of action.

Saudis had an F-15 get hit a few weeks ago. Same story.

_Del_

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
I meant people as the public in general, not the armed services. I haven't stayed up on the Saudi story and the Alamo-- I'll have to look it up!

netfires

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
I think people undervalue the Manpad threat. The US will generally not fly if there is a credible Manpad threat. It's very hard to be alerted. MAWS gear is typically not that great, so someone needs to get an eye on it. And the pilot has to quickly integrate what he knows from MAWS or someone else into a plan of action.

DIRCM mitigates this somewhat now but they are fairly expensive and large systems in most cases so it's not an ideal solution for lighter (compared to a C-17 or KC-135 or what have you) tactical aircraft like the Su-25 or F-15.

GARGEAN

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score

DIRCM mitigates this somewhat now but they are fairly expensive and large systems in most cases so it's not an ideal solution for lighter (compared to a C-17 or KC-135 or what have you) tactical aircraft like the Su-25 or F-15.
Su-25SM3 is supposed to get partial Vitebsk complex integration. Passive stuff like MAWS integrated, active stuff like DIRCM turrets is possible to be carried in form of pod. Imho not great setup, but as it is. Plus in any case downed Su-25 was of older kind.