Styx Variants?

World B4

my bad y'all
Reaction score
Since it was basically the Sea Scud in terms of operators and proliferation, I'd like to know more about any iraqi, cuban, north korean, libyan, etc. etc. variants. Also any more advanced soviet soviet versions that never became operational, or some other nation's attempts to reverse engineer the missile, or pull the ol' syrian polymerization and combine it with some other soviet equipment. Especially hoping to find something else like the Krajina Krooz Missile aka the Terrestrial Termit aka the Serbian Scud aka the Vergeltungsprska 1 a delightful mashup of soviet equipment that could lay waste to entire balkans region!

Well, the Soviet line is that:

* P-15 - basic model, with 40 km range and active radar seeker. Due to non-folding wings, could be used only from hangar-type launchers)
* P-15TG - version with passive infrared guidance, sucsessfulky tested, but not implemented due to original P-15 being replaced by newer models.
* P-15U - improved model with folding wings (to fit into more compact container launcher), active radar seeker.
* P-15UT - version of P-15U with infrared seeker.
* P-20 - export version of P-15U.
* P-15M - improved, long-range version (80 km), active radar seeker.
* P-15MT - version of P-15M with infrared seeker.
* P-21 - export version of P-15M.
* P-22 - export version of P-15MT.

All versions could carry both conventional and nuclear warheads - as far as I know, there weren't specific designation for nuclear-tipped ones.

Sometimes P-15A mentioned as proposed air-launched version, that was not developed far.

Last edited:
Here we see the LNA's improvised coastal defense system. The launcher is made out of the loading mechanism for reloading the missiles into their normal launch tubes. There was a widely circulated video of the missile launching and immediately nosediving. What wasn't shown was the radar that made the system (theoretically) functional for coastal defense, as is relatively common.
View: https://twitter.com/josephhdempsey/status/1318323686299082753

I find it amazing that there are still thousands of SS-N-2s in service around the world despite the missile's age.

I find it amazing that there are still thousands of SS-N-2s in service around the world despite the missile's age.

Well, for decades and half (from 1960 till 1975) they were literally the only self-homing anti-ship missiles, available on export market. And their sucsessfull performance against Eliat and later in Indo-Pakistan war was very persuasive.

On page 21, probably the closest we'll see to a styx converted into a functional ballistic missile. HY_2 airframes used in the construction of Al-Samud II missiles.
What are you talking about?

In the report, it's noted that some examples of the Iraqi Al Samud II ballistic missile used airframes and structures from the HY-2 missile because they were similar in size the the planned design of Al Samud II. Recycling the HY-2 parts into Al Samud II allowed for quicker development.

An Al Karamah official claimed that Dr. Muzhir, who had previously developed a 750-mm design by 1993, discovered that the airframe and ring assembly for the HY-2 cruise missile was based on a 760-mm diameter. Because of time constraints, these items could easily be used to quickly develop and manufacture his 760-mm-diameter missile. Figure 3 depicts an early Al Samud II using an HY2 airframe.
1652879032141.png

In the report, it's noted that some examples of the Iraqi Al Samud II ballistic missile used airframes and structures from the HY-2 missile because they were similar in size the the planned design of Al Samud II. Recycling the HY-2 parts into Al Samud II allowed for quicker development.
Hm. Theoretically it's... Not impossible. P-15 family missiles (including HY-2) are propelled by liquid fuel rocket engines, using Tonka and nitric acid. If they took the whole hull & engine section, they could save a lot of troubles, by using the existing feeding system.

Hm. Theoretically it's... Not impossible. P-15 family missiles (including HY-2) are propelled by liquid fuel rocket engines, using Tonka and nitric acid. If they took the whole hull & engine section, they could save a lot of troubles, by using the existing feeding system.

The engines were from SA-2s (V-750 missile I believe). I think they just used airframes and thrust structures from HY-2, but it's not 100% clear. Much of the Iraqi missile effort was improvised, so who knows what parts they scavenged?

The engines were from SA-2s (V-750 missile I believe).

From the SA-2 wikipedia article:

storable liquid-fuel upper stage, which burns AK-20 (based on red fuming nitric acid ) as the oxidizer and TG-02 (toxic mixture of 50-52% triethylamine and 48-50% isomeric xylidine) as the fuel. [1]

The rocket-motor was the Isayev S2.711V.

297px-S2_720A2_3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom