Stryker APC Movie Prop by Omni International

Matt_Fisher

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Saw this posted on the Army.ca forum

Apparently it's a prototype developed for the Stryker APC program. Interesting in that there is a large gap between the 2nd and 3rd sets of wheels which I've never seen on a LAV/Pirahna.
Also, the underside of the vehicle doesn't seem to correspond to a standard LAV/Pirahna style in terms of the cut of the hull and the suspension.
Vehicle almost seems like an OT-64 and a Pirahna had a one night stand.

Anyone have any info on this vehicle?

Cheers,

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean something like this? I can not open the link you give, but form the description, it sound like this.

If my memory are correct, this vehicle is come form Cadillac Gage vehicle family.

Also this vehicle appeared in Resident Evil IV.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 556
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 549
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 530
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 530
It has been seen in many movies, such as the Incredible Hulk and Resident Evil Afterlife. I have pictures of it in my files labeled as V-150S. The IMCDB site entry lists the manufacturer as Omni International.
Here are two shots of it without the (fake?) applique armor.

Attachments

• V-150S_1.jpg
    V-150S_1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 481
  • V-150S_2.jpg
    V-150S_2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 135
Thanks for the info and the shots of it without the applique armour.

Does anyone know any of the background info on this vehicle and/or who Omni International are/were?

The owner himself gave some interesting info in IMCDB:
The vehicle is very much an engineering prototype and is powered by a GM 6.5 turbo V8 diesel (same as in late 80s-90s Chevy pickup trucks) and an Allison AT-545 commercial vehicle transmission (think school buses, Budget trucks etc.) For the record the front two axles are steering axles much like you see on some larger cement mixers, and the rear sets are fixed. The suspension is longitudinal torsion bar - one each running the whole length of the vehicle - and the suspension itself is wishbone/ double A frame type. You can select 4 or 8 whl drive, though there's provision at each axle to take that axle offline if you pull up the floor plates. Brakes are hydraulic and inboard (inside the hull), with a booster system which again is typically used on hydraulic-brakes school buses and 5 tons. Steering is via standard steering wheel arrangement coupled to a custom designed linkage arrangement driven by a power steering box of the type fitted to larger Mack trucks.

The turret is a modified turret from a USMC LVTP-7, and would typically have a Browning M2 .50 cal on the one side, and a Mk 19 40mm grenade launcher on the other. When we got it, all the electrics had been cut with portions removed, but there was enough left for me to kitbash something in there to get the electric traverse and elevate working again. The turret armour is about 1/2" thick, and the hull armour varies from 1/4" to 1/2" depending on what part of the hull you're looking at. The rear ramp is very mickey-mouse as put together by Omni, and consists of a simple 1/4" ramp door raised and lowered by a light-duty Warn winch and 3/16" aircraft cable. For AVP2 the FX dept. rigged an air ram operated by a dive bottle which quickly raised and lowered the ramp, but that was removed after that production wrapped.

We're looking at several upgrades for the vehicle before the end of the year to include the same Cat 3116 powerplant used in the production LAVs, and air brakes instead of the hydraulic ones. We'd like to engineer a hydraulic ramp to replace the cable-op one too, but that'll probably be in next year's budget.
http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle.php?id=274964

Omni International Corporation was in Imlay City, Michigan but it doesn't look like they're around any more. (There is an Omni International in Ankara but I assume that's unrelated.) One puzzle is why Omni would use the same designations as the Cadillac Gage 4x4 armored car?

Amphibious Vehicle gives no useful details on the V-150-S other than Crew: 3 + 8 troops. http://www.amphibiousvehicle.net/

Looks like the gap between the second and third axles was to allow side, personnel doors ala. BTR.

Omni International Corporation was in Imlay City, Michigan but it doesn't look like they're around any more. (There is an Omni International in Ankara but I assume that's unrelated.) One puzzle is why Omni would use the same designations as the Cadillac Gage 4x4 armored car?

Amphibious Vehicle gives no useful details on the V-150-S other than Crew: 3 + 8 troops. http://www.amphibiousvehicle.net/

I think Omni may have been a vehicle conversion specialty company so it might be a case where they got hold of a Cadillac-Gage chassis and modified it. Possibly specifically for film work?

I think Omni may have been a vehicle conversion specialty company so it might be a case where they got hold of a Cadillac-Gage chassis and modified it. Possibly specifically for film work?

Omni International Corporation seems to have been all over the map when it came to business activities.

As far as I can tell, Omni mainly acted as an aircraft re-seller operating under a number of names - eg: OMNI International Jet Trading Floor. A number of offshore subsidiaries were also formed. That led to Omni being charged with tax fraud in 1984 (but the Feds stuffed up procedurally). Later, they did business as Omni Jet Trading Center and Omni International Jet Trading.
-- https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp/634/1414/1885722/

What any of this has to do with developing armoured vehicles I don't know! Omni is still around but the actual Omni International Corporation name has been taken over by a dental supply firm.

(must restrain from making lame Airplane! jokes)

Stryker APC

The plot: Ted Striker (Stryker in Zero Hour!), an ex-military pilot, has to get over his personal traumas to pilot a commercial plane

Omni mainly acted as an aircraft re-seller operating under a number of names

What any of this has to do with developing armoured vehicles I don't know

It's an entirely different kind of flying altogether

The cockpit ? what is it ?