Strange Twin Boom Aircraft of 1945 ?

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

here is a strange twin boom aircraft of 1945,from the magazine Mechanix Illustrated,featured
with two air-intakes and a smoke in two rear pylon,with two contra-rotating propellers,I don't
know if it was a real design or not,so I put it here in this section,and I can't explain its concept,
mixed powered or what ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    214.2 KB · Views: 333
  • SKU1012290.jpg
    SKU1012290.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 322
It is another case of cover-art.

But ...unusually there is a very similar piece of artwork for a real late war design somewhere around here (if only I could remember where)...

Avimimus said:
It is another case of cover-art.

But ...unusually there is a very similar piece of artwork for a real late war design somewhere around here (if only I could remember where)...

My dear Avimimus,I feel the same thing.

Yes, the Bell and the original XP-59. DeShelde also had a similar plane before WWII, and Brewster also had one that reached desk model status. Also, about two dozen "fighter of the future" articles and covers in the magazines of the day.

Yes,

but the Bell designs had no jet engine to be mixed powered concept
or a rear pylon smoke,that's the different.

I think this one may not as well. The Bell design has an annular radiator on the nose (that looks like an intake), perhaps this design (or artists' concept) has radiators built into the wing roots?

Avimimus said:
I think this one may not as well. The Bell design has an annular radiator on the nose (that looks like an intake), perhaps this design (or artists' concept) has radiators built into the wing roots?

Maybe that's right.

Since this is pretty fanciful, I suspect that the smoke may be coming from two extended engine-exhaust stacks, an unnecessary feature. It does bear a passing resemblance to the Bell P-59 discussed here: http://thanlont.blogspot.com/2012/01/what-was-bell-aircraft-f2l.html but as noted, there were similar configurations promoted by other companies at the time.

hesham said:
And the air intakes in the side of the fuselage ?.

Oil coolers (engine and propeller gearbox), engine cooling (glycol radiators or cylinder heads), carburetor air, maybe supercharger intercooler. Oversized perhaps but it's a cartoon.

Here's a higher resolution copy of the cover. As you can see, it's a passenger plane. The caption in the lower right hand corner states
"Gas Turbine Plane: Geoffrey Smith's plane of the future, based on his work in jet propulsion." Geoffrey Smith was the Managing Editor of Flight. I did a quick search of 1944-1946 in the Flight archives. Nothing resembled this fantasy was published that I could find. Mr. Smith was keen about jet propulsion and wrote a book on the subject. As knowledgeable as he appears to have been, I feel certain that he knew what a gas turbine plane looked like and this wasn't it.

Attachments

• Geoffrey Smith Concept.jpg
    Geoffrey Smith Concept.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 186
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 12.46.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 12.46.32 PM.png
    606.4 KB · Views: 184
Tailspin Turtle said:
Here's a higher resolution copy of the cover. As you can see, it's a passenger plane. The caption in the lower right hand corner states
"Gas Turbine Plane: Geoffrey Smith's plane of the future, based on his work in jet propulsion." Geoffrey Smith was the Managing Editor of Flight. I did a quick search of 1944-1946 in the Flight archives. Nothing resembled this fantasy was published that I could find. Mr. Smith was keen about jet propulsion and wrote a book on the subject. As knowledgeable as he appears to have been, I feel certain that he knew what a gas turbine plane looked like and this wasn't it.

Ahh, so it's supposed to be a turboprop, that would explain the odd long exhaust pipes, to ensure the engine efflux is carried away from the propellor, no notion of utilising the residual thrust...didn't Whittle/Power Jets design a turboprop, in this time frame?

cheers,
Robin.

In the early days turboprops were known as propjets, if memory serves me correctly.

Tailspin Turtle said:

Here's the image from Flight for which you are looking. It was copied from their PDF archives and, though of poor resolution, with a little bit of imagination you can see the wing-root intakes. Note also the gas-turbine exhaust ducts routed around the counter-rotating propellers.

Attachments

• Postwar private jet proposal - unkn.jpg
    Postwar private jet proposal - unkn.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 133
JimK said:
Here's the image from Flight for which you are looking. It was copied from their PDF archives and, though of poor resolution, with a little bit of imagination you can see the wing-root intakes. Note also the gas-turbine exhaust ducts routed around the counter-rotating propellers.

Excellent! Thanks very much for taking the time to find it. I stand corrected. It is a "jet" engine. However, the exhaust arrangement makes somewhat more sense than the artists concept. What issue was it in?

Tailspin Turtle said:
Excellent! Thanks very much for taking the time to find it. I stand corrected. It is a "jet" engine. However, the exhaust arrangement makes somewhat more sense than the artists concept. What issue was it in?

My dear Tailspin,

it's here,but they called it Jet-Propelled Private Plane.

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1945/1945%20-%200705.html
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3564.15.html

Back
Top Bottom