Stargazer's artwork: real projects

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
I haven't done much profiling and imaging of real aircraft projects, but there's a handful of them, so I thought it could be a good idea to have them all here in one place. Starting with the Gloster CXP-1001 (Chinese Experimental Pursuit), one of my pet "should-have-been" designs, an aircraft that was ordered by the Free Chinese government in 1946 and almost became Taiwan's first custom-made combat aircraft.

Since I wasn't satisfied with the various profiles and 3-view plans of the CXP-1001 at my disposal (most of which differed widely — and wildly — especially as far as the wing length was concerned), I decided to do one myself. I do not claim it to be perfect nor absolutely similar to the actual mock-up, of which no photo ever surfaced. I tried my best to make it coherent, using an old and very basic three-view as a reference point and adding to it from various sources.

The panelling of the Sharkit model served as an inspiration, and the nose gear was snatched from a Meteor T.7, with a two-part hatch (many depictions show a single panel hatch, so I admit this was a matter of personal choice here as to which one seemed the most likely).

EDIT: I'm attaching the three plans I had at my disposal to elaborate my CXP general arrangement.

Attachments

• gloster-cxp1001.gif
    gloster-cxp1001.gif
    96.6 KB · Views: 280
  • cxp-gloster.jpg
    cxp-gloster.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 261
  • cxp-flyingreview.jpg
    cxp-flyingreview.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 255
  • cxp-baganz.jpg
    cxp-baganz.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 248
Another Gloster I did was the Goodwood "goods-type" project of 1922, later designated "G.21" in the retroactive models list.

I'm also attaching the original Flight magazine plan for comparison.

Attachments

• gloster-goodwood-plan-small.gif
    gloster-goodwood-plan-small.gif
    141.5 KB · Views: 251
  • Goodwood 3-view (original).jpg
    Goodwood 3-view (original).jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 59
Great work Stargazer. Very interesting both planes.

I like a lot the "boxy" Goodwood. Humm Which can be a paint scheme for that one?

BTW That flight issue has another very interesting plane: ERNOUL-DEWOITINE MONOPLANE. Thanks !!!