STAL-11,Italian Tourist Aircraft Project ?

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

the STAL or Studi Tecnici Aeroplani Leggeri is completely new entry for me,I never
heard about it before,I don't know it it was a company or institute,and its STAL-11
which submitted for Italian 1937 tourist aircraft contest is a mystery,I think it
was a project,and if it had anther aircraft or projects,can anyone give us answers ?.

Dimensione Cielo- Scuola Collegamento vol.10

Attachments

• STAL.png
    STAL.png
    292 KB · Views: 259
Here's a translation of the above text:
On January 8, 1937, our Ministry of Aeronautics issues a competition notice in order to have a small-scale tourism aircraft of national construction. At the end of February, only the Ambrosini and Magni firms agreed to submit studies, while others requested an extension to the submission deadlines. On 8 July, the Ministery expects to have 7 aircraft in the race: the SAI-Ambrosini 3, the Caproni-Reggiane Re.412, the Caproni-Taliedo Ca.167, the Aeronautical Artisan Laboratory ND.6, the Lombardi-Bottini LB1 (presented by SAIMAN), the SAIMAN 201 (two-seater with high braced wing), all with 120 hp Alfa Romeo 110 engines. of power and the STAL-11 (Light Airplane Technical Studies) with STAL 75 hp engine.

It's been said before elsewhere but the STAL 11 wasn't an unbuilt project. Two airframes were built as STAL 11s (one for static testing) in 1936-'37 but, later, when refitted with an 80 hp CANSA C.80 engine 4-cylinder, the STAL 11 airframe became the 'new' CANSA C.4. (Alas, for the C.4, the AVIA L.3 was already flying.)

The STAL acronym is seen defined as 'Studi Tecnici Aeroplani Leggeri'; anonima società 'Studi Tecnici Aeronautici Littoria'; and 'Studi Tecnici Apparecchi Leggeri' (take your pick for which is correct). Chief designer was the vice-president, dott. Willy Rosenfelder. Prior to the STAL 11, beginning at the Politecnico di Torino, dott. Rosenfelder had designed a range of extrememly low-aspect ratio winged light planes. [1]

The engine designer was Giulio Cesare Cappa - best known as an automotive designer (with Fiat and Bugatti). While at Fiat, Cappa designed a range of aircraft V-12s (of which only the A.14 could be considered successful). He also designed a water-cooled radial - the A.18. [2] For aero-engines, Cappa was more known for experimentation and innovative design than for producing production-worthy engines.

Cappa had began by building motorcycles - which shows in his STAL engine design. He was also known for extensive use of aluminum in engine construction (an expensive proposition in Italy at the time). But I don't know if his 75 hp STAL HO2 engine was of aluminum construction or not.

[1] https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/willy-rosenfelter-s-t-a-l-projects.30864/

With some speculation, Giovanni Masino speculated that the X-1 (the first 'circle-wing') would have become the STAL 1 (STAL having been formed within a fortnight of X-1 drawing date). The trapazoid-wing design was the STAL 3 which suggests that the 'unknown' second 'circle-wing' was probably designated STAL 2.

[2] His Itala Cappa 18 aero-engine prototype has been preserved.

Attachments

• STAL-11.jpg
    STAL-11.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 57
  • STAL-Cappa-75cv.jpg
    STAL-Cappa-75cv.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 53
Thank you my dears,

and the problem is from STAL-4 to STAL-10 nothing known ?.

and the problem is from STAL-4 to STAL-10 nothing known ?.

Indeed. The known designs all seem to be very close together in time. Either Rosenfelder was sketching concepts like a man possessed or, perhaps, '11' was simply the first in a new series of higher aspect ratio winged designs?