• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

SPIKE hypervelocity rocket

tround

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
It has a diameter of 2 inches and a CEP of 3.2mils .
The precision is impressive for a rocket .

Attachments

Avimimus

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
If I recall correctly that is about half the CEP of modern rockets, and one third of those used in WWII?

The short flight time is also attractive.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
So this was intended to give both the Cobra and the Avenger an extra punch against ground and air targets. Interesting. Would I be overly paranoid in suspecting that it got killed by politics rather than technical issues?

tround

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
That would not be the first time.
May be that the HVM missile had the same destiny .

Jemiba

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Althought SPIKE is unguided, I thought this thread better suited to the Missile section. And we already
have several threads about unguided rockets or rocket systems here, like the Javelot.
Just in the same way, Bill Gunston did, in his "Encyclopedia of Rockets and Missiles" .. ;)

cluttonfred

Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
$500 per rocket? Make them inexpensive so we can afford to buy and fire a lot of them? Clearly, this team was a group of "outsiders" to the defense industry. ;)

Void

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
cluttonfred said:
$500 per rocket? Make them inexpensive so we can afford to buy and fire a lot of them? Clearly, this team was a group of "outsiders" to the defense industry. ;)
Everything is affordable before the military buys it.

pathology_doc

Reaction score
Just the thing that interceptors needed back in the last days of the pre-missile era, when large volleys of unguided rockets were the only way forward beyond guns. Yes, a Zuni or a Mighty Mouse will blow the wing off a Soviet bomber and this will not; but given that so much of a modern military aircraft is full of critical things, it's not hard to imagine a cloud of those flechettes doing bad stuff inside - the Golden BB effect multiplied and pushed up to Mach 4 or so. And it would be a lot harder to miss.

Colonial-Marine

Fighting the UAV mafia.
Reaction score
While not as fast isn't there a CRV-7 rocket with a payload similar to the multi-effect one described in that article?