Space Shuttle Pad Abort Astronaut Escape Procedure

bobbymike

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
There you are, you and your crew mates, all by your lonesomes. Space bound at last. Final countdown and all that sort of thing leading up to lift off.
And then something goes wrong.
I know, I know, you are asking yourself, "What could possibly go wrong?" But suppose, just suppose, something does go wrong and Mission Control informs you that according to their best estimates the chances of the whole thing blowing up are tending towards the highly probable and you would be well advised to get the fuck out.
Okay.
Here's, according to our guide, is all you have to do to save your butt.
1) Unplug everything and get the straps off you.
2) Get to the sealed hatch and unseal and open it.
3) Leave the shuttle and stand up on the gantry. Then cross the gantry, avoiding the elevator that brought you up.
4) On the far side of the gantry is an open platform with slots in the floor below and a lot of cables slanting down and away from the whole shebang. These cables are called "Zip lines."
5) Suspended underneath these zip lines at floor level are wicker baskets. You will climb into these. (Tick, tock, tick, tock... time's a wastin'.)
6) Did I mention you will get into these wicker baskets backwards? You will. Then you will release the basket.
7) Upon releasing the basket you will be propelled backwards and downwards at a very high velocity along the long slanting cable for some distance towards a massive pile of sandbags.
8) Assuming everything's been calibrated properly your basket will shoot through an opening in the sandbags and come to a stop next to the entrance to a highly armored and sealable bunker at the bottom.
9) You will then haul your space-suited self out of the basket, open the door to the bunker and go inside. You will close the door leaving it to any of your more tardy fellow astronauts to open and enter the bunker if their "slide for life" has worked out.
10) Once inside the bunker, which is still relatively close to the now about to explode Space Shuttle, you have to ask yourself one question, "Do I feel lucky?"
11) If you do or do not feel lucky, you can either sit in the bunker and hope for the best, or decide to take Option B.
12) Remember those armored personnel carriers above? They are Option B.
13) Should you select to "move away from the vehicle" you, and any other fellow astronauts who have gotten this far, will go out the back door of the bunker and jump into one of two M113 Armored Personnel Vehicles (Vintage 1960s models, low milage). These are buttoned-up, fully-fueled, keys-in-the-ignition, and engine-running set ups. First astronaut in is the driver.
14) Throw it into gear, pedal to the metal, and you are out of there at a top speed of around 40 miles an hour.
And that's all there is to it. What could possibly go wrong?

this Shuttle Pad Abort system is the reuse of Apollo Pad Abort system.

for the Orion capsule they had another Idea: Emergency Escape System
1) Unplug everything and get the straps off you.
2) Get to the sealed hatch and unseal and open it.
3) Leave the capusule and stand up on the gantry. Then cross the gantry, avoiding the elevator that brought you up.
4) On the far side of the gantry is an open platform with a ROLLER COASTER train

5) you step in one of the seats,
6) all in ? relase the brake, and have hell of fun ride from Pad...
NASA wend so far to get consultation from amusment ride constuctors for this idea
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2008/07/ares-i-rollercoaster-ees-continues-to-evolve/