Soviet project of armed Martin M-156 "Russian Clipper"

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Christened by Martin as the Ocean Transport, the Model 156 was an improved derivative of the Model 130 Clipper, but it didn't lead to any contracts and was never put into production. The sole prototype was sold to the Soviet Union and was operated by Aeroflot, owing it the nickname "Russian Clipper" in the West.

It recently came to my attention that the Soviets were planning on a militarized, armed version with a locally redesigned single tail fin, but it remained a project.

Here is a series of interesting documents:
  • a three-view arrangement of the projected armed model
  • two photos of a desktop model of that variant
  • profiles of the Model 156 in US and Aeroflot guises, as well the planned armed variant.
Source: AviaMaster 2002-7

Attachments

• plan of armed project (AviaMaster 2002-7).gif
    plan of armed project (AviaMaster 2002-7).gif
    148.3 KB · Views: 554
  • model of armed project.jpg
    model of armed project.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 549
  • profiles (AviaMaster 2002-7).jpg
    profiles (AviaMaster 2002-7).jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 530
A nice find, Stephane, very evocative of the period, though I can't for the life of me understand why they would have wanted to revert to a single vertical tail in an armed version. You'd think that the twin tail version would have made for better fields of fire at the all-important six o'clock position. Cheers, Matthew

Yeah, while redesigning the tail they could have also installed an aft turret. But in that case the center of gravity would have been probably relocated.

fightingirish said:
Yeah, while redesigning the tail they could have also installed an aft turret. But in that case the center of gravity would have been probably relocated.

True enough on the CG issue, though I'd think they could have found a way to make it work to cover that critical six o'clock position. Another option might have been to put the turret in the wing upper surface projecting down into the upper fuselage, which would have given a nice angle of fire down over the old twin-fin tail. With the single fin, perhaps two turrets would have been worth the trouble and drag to put the big guns to good use.

Mole said:
A nice find, Stephane, very evocative of the period, though I can't for the life of me understand why they would have wanted to revert to a single vertical tail in an armed version. You'd think that the twin tail version would have made for better fields of fire at the all-important six o'clock position. Cheers, Matthew
One reason the Soviet designers might have changed the tail is because of the excessive amount of external bracing on Martin's original.

Back
Top Bottom