Soviet decoy missiles for bombers in Cold War (similar to the ADM-20 Quail) ??

Temistocle

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I'm looking for information about soviet decoy missiles launched from bombers, if any.
In the USA during the Cold War there were some projects about decoy missiles (i.e. the ADM-20 Quail or the Convair MX-2223), but I didn't find any info about similar projects in the Soviet Union.
Can somebody help me?

Mauro

Re: Soviet decoy missiles for bombers in Cold War (i.e. ADM-20 Quail)

Sorry, I forgot to mention that in Tom Clancy's "Red storm rising" (1986) there is the description of an attack to an aircraft carrier group by soviet Backfire bombers, after the CAP has lost all of its missile against "fake" bombers", i.e. Kelt missiles as decoys launched from older Badgers.
This is the only source I find about soviet decoy missiles, but it is a novel...
Mauro

This is an interesting topic - although I am unfortunately not able to help, I would also much appreciate any information on this subject!

The russian converted some K-10S (AS-2 Kipper) as decoy drones. In the ‘80s there were rumours about a little decoy on the Tu-22M Backfire, never confirmed. I didn’t find any evidence.

The K-10SP, the ECM drone variant, was equipped with the Azaliya series x-band jammers (SPS-61R and SPS-63R). The effective range against a warship, during test, was in excess of 130 km.

The Raduga KSR-2 (AS-5 Kelt) was available in the “target-drone” version only, designated KRM-2.

It’s easy to find some data on these websites:

Or you can read the book “Soviet/Russian aircraft weapons since world war two” by Yefim Gordon.

In the book, the jamming system on the K-10SP is called “Ryabina”. The Ryabina, if I remember correctly, is an LLTV/laser pod. On the other hand, the Russian’s ECM systems have names of trees and flowers...Like Ryabina (Rowan).

Hi all,
after some research I wrote an article about decoy missiles for an Italian military magazine. It will be printed in the following months. I wrote only on "real" decoy missiles (or other types using decoying as a secondary role); I didn't mention about missiles used only for anti-radiation duties, because the roles are different (i.e. usually the decoys weren't armed and not equipped with a homing device).
In this article I listed, (more or less in chronological order):
Avro Type 734 (UK)
Blue Rapier (UK)
Convair XSM-74 (aka MX-2223) (USA)
Fairchild SM-73 Bull Goose (aka MX-2223) (USA)
Radioplane B-67 Crossbow (aka MX-2013, aka XGAM-67) (USA)
Convair XGAM-71 Buck Duck (aka MX-224) (USA)
McDonnell GAM-72 Green Quail (aka ADM-20 Quail) (USA)
Teledyne Ryan Model 147N & 147NX (USA)
ZAGM-86 SCAD (Subsonic Cruise Armed Decoy) (USA)
Brunswick Maxi-Decoys (USA)
UAV-A and UAV-B (Israel)
IMI Samson & Delilah (Israel)
Brunswick/IMI ADM-141 TALD/ITALD/ATALD (Improved/Avanced Tactical air launched decoy) (Israel/USA)
Northrop MQM-74 Chukar/Telem (USA/Israel)
Northrop Grumman ADM-160A MALD (USA)
Raytheon ADM-160B/C MALD/MALD-J (USA)
I didn't find much news about soviet/Russian decoy as the previously mentioned missiles; only some info about a secondary role for the ARM version of the Raduga X-22 (AS-4 Kithcen).
In the last paragraph of the article I just briefly mention the "new" expendable (i.e. POET and GEN-X) and towed decoys (i.e. ALE-50 and -55); these are produced by many firms (in Russia too).
Bye
M.

Mauro, let us know where and when your article will appear. Seems very interesting!
Ciao, Francesco

Hi Francesco,
after some time the article will appear in RID September 2013 issue.
You can find the magazine in most of the newsstands, beginning from the end of August.
Buona lettura !
Mauro

This subject is current as Tu95 bombers are being used to launch conventional missile strikes against targets in Ukraine.
The US set the precedent with B52 cruise missile strikes beginning with Desert Storm and earlier iron bomb raids on North Vietnam.
Information on air launched jamming missiles in these various cases?

Makes sense: the USAF made cruise missiles by putting warheads into decoys!
Thing is though, decoys are supposed to be expendable and the warhead is probably the cheapest part of a cruise missile. So removing the warhead from an expensive cruise missile just leaves an expensive cruise missile with no warhead. Maybe it's just a badly written article, but that's the impression it gave.