Soviet 600 mm howitzer project

Bottleship

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
600 mm howitzer I-13-63 "Stalin's hit" ("Stalinskiy udar", Rus. "Сталинский удар"), 1942, NII-13. 2400 kg projectile, 435 mps.

Attachments

• I-13-63 1.jpg
    I-13-63 1.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 211
  • I-13-63 2.jpg
    I-13-63 2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 197
  • I-13-63 3.jpg
    I-13-63 3.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 175
  • I-13-63 4.jpg
    I-13-63 4.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 202
So the Soviet equivalent of the Schwerer Gustav?

More, equivalent of the 600 mm Karl mortar.
Biggest Soviet gun ever I know - special S-77 and S-76 cannons. Biggest projectile, launched by these guns, was the BRAB-6000 AP bomb, 6 ton weight, 417 mps, diameter 820 mm, standart S-76 was 650 mm, S-77 - 400 mm. Also, in 1972 projected 700 mm Br-645 gun, for launching of 15 ton projectiles for testing parachute systems.

Large siege cannon, yes, presumably for dealing with anticipated German fortifications in Eastern Prussia. Project was approved for further developement in 1943, but the prototype was never build - Stalin was skeptical about the practicality of such huge guns in highly-mobile modern warfare, and argued that fortifications may be destroyed with more practical means (like heavy field guns and howitzers moved on direct-fire range). He was right)

Large siege cannon, yes, presumably for dealing with anticipated German fortifications in Eastern Prussia. Project was approved for further developement in 1943, but the prototype was never build - Stalin was skeptical about the practicality of such huge guns in highly-mobile modern warfare, and argued that fortifications may be destroyed with more practical means (like heavy field guns and howitzers moved on direct-fire range). He was right)
at least stalin had some sense about practicality 1611248937630.png

at least stalin had some sense about practicality

Well, with the exception of capital ships (he LOVED battleships; he wanted some big, badass, beautiful capital ship build even in 1950s), Stalin was surprisingly pragmatic about the "superweapons"; his opinion was that cheap, mass-produced, reliable system build in great numbers is always better than some expensive "super"-system.

at least stalin had some sense about practicality

Well, with the exception of capital ships (he LOVED battleships; he wanted some big, badass, beautiful capital ship build even in 1950s), Stalin was surprisingly pragmatic about the "superweapons"; his opinion was that cheap, mass-produced, reliable system build in great numbers is always better than some expensive "super"-system.
see? practicality it would be better to do that because then yu can get that weapon everywhere instead of just one spot