I wasn't sure where would be best to place this info - however I think that this thread suites it best...

To The Point International sets its sights on new turret range​

The most interesting part for me was the following paragraph:

"Previous work has resulted in the sale of intellectual property to Zeiss (for miniature stabilised sighting system) and Thales (for the stabilised sighting system for the Starstreak surface-to-air missile system (Thales Air Defence Limited) as well as for armoured fighting vehicles (Thales Optronics Taunton Limited). According to Kroeger, not many companies the size of TTPI can claim to have done this out of South Africa."

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/editor...national-sets-its-sights-on-new-turret-range/

Attachments

• Maatla_turret_Vernon_Kroeger.jpg
    Maatla_turret_Vernon_Kroeger.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 126
  • Terminator_turret_LM13_Vernon_Kroeger.jpg
    Terminator_turret_LM13_Vernon_Kroeger.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 115
History of the Casspir MPV.

At 16:00, there is footage of the Sesspir 6x6 concept.
At 20:50, there is footage of some of the prototype replacement projectvehicles seen in this thread..such as the Veldskoen, Soetdoring, and Project Remark vehicles.

I had not seen some of this brief footage previously.

View: https://youtu.be/T6Uuj6S-Mps?si=3ZGZKMESroT215Tq

Last edited:
The Armour museum in Bloemfontein has moved around their exhibits.
The Olifant Mk1A, Olifant Mk1B, TTD, and Olifant Optimal (Original Olifant Mk2) are now lined up, allowing an interesting comparison.
Below is the TTD and Olifant Optimal making an interesting comparison.
Edit: hmm..struggling to post picture

Last edited:
The Armour museum in Bloemfontein has moved around their exhibits.
The Olifant Mk1A, Olifant Mk1B, TTD, and Olifant Optimal (Original Olifant Mk2) are now lined up, allowing an interesting comparison.
Below is the TTD and Olifant Optimal making an interesting comparison.
Edit: hmm..struggling to post picture
Hey there
See page 49, posted some pics I took while there. Just check to see if it looks the same.

Hey there
See page 49, posted some pics I took while there. Just check to see if it looks the same.
Not exactly the same perspective, but from the same, new display..where the tanks have now been moved inside the hangar.
The one I was going to post contains only the TTD and Optimal, side by side, from the front.
It's an interesting perspective.
On the lineup, it seems they have lined the tanks up in chronological order of development, left to right, as per your photo below, and the ones I have seen.
Mk1A, Mk1B, TTD, and Optimal.

Attachments

• 1000002030.jpg
    1000002030.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 90
In post number 1982, page 50, I mentioned that it was now clear that the Optimal turret was new, and not an original Centurion/Olifant turret. As can be seen on those pics in that post.
This turret below is also at Bloemfontein, and was posted a while back, by sabushwar.
To me at least, it's clear now this is also an Optimal turret, or a development model/prototype of the Optimal turret, before the wedge shaped armour modules are fitted.
I have long suspected that more than one turret of the Optimal (original Olifant Mk2, not the upgraded Mk1b later known as the Mk2) was manufactured.
I stand under correction though, as always, but the pics speak for themselves I think.

Attachments

• turret092028_zps907e6d4b.jpg
    turret092028_zps907e6d4b.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 78
  • LIW toring binne.jpg
    LIW toring binne.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 56
  • opt_0001.jpg.62315d5e2224ebf16bbbc93e84292c11.jpg
    opt_0001.jpg.62315d5e2224ebf16bbbc93e84292c11.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
This finally and officially serves as confirmation for us, and especially Herman who was convinced it was, that the strange derelict vehicle with IFV features is indeed the Springkaan. Nice detective work, Herman. This was the SA Army Technical Corps entry into the requirement that led to the Ratel, and it sat unloved and in the elements for years.

Edit: I hate linking to sites, as videos tend to disappear, and disjoint posts...but FB is notoriously difficult to download from.

Last edited:
The Class 2 platform is also being moved.
Thus was a front engined IFV and weapons platform that shared components early in the Rooikat programme.
It was later fitted with a Ratel 20 IFV turret.

Seems that a few vehicles are being moved, rehoused, and repositioned recently, which seems to be good news to restoration and upkeep.
The mover is the Mack based Bulperd also at the museum.
Edit: Mack recovery truck. The Bulperd was the modified Mack with armoured cab.

Again, linked from FB which I don't like doing.
I'd prefer a direct video onto the forum for longevity and posterity.

Last edited:
This finally and officially serves as confirmation for us, and especially Herman who was convinced it was, that the strange derelict vehicle with IFV features is indeed the Springkaan. Nice detective work, Herman. This was the SA Army Technical Corps entry into the requirement that led to the Ratel, and it sat unloved and in the elements for years.

Edit: I hate linking to sites, as videos tend to disappear, and disjoint posts...but FB is notoriously difficult to download from.
Sprinkaan is a very interesting concept. It is a great pity that we don't know where it was built and who designed it. If I remember correctly, it used Magirus Jupiter axles but they were mounted on coil srpings, with longitudinal and transverse locating links, and a custom made yoke locating the second axle. The steering for the front two axles was also a custom made setup, and it was powered by a GM 6V-71, two-stroke diesel. The point is, it wasn't just some pampoen tiffie with a hammer and a welding torch who cobbled it together; quite a bit of thought and design went into it and we'll probably never know by whom, and where. All the vehicles evaluated during the development of the Ratel are discussed in the two-volume "Ratel, the making of a legend" books, yet there is nary a mantion of the Sprinkaan.

In the video, it is dragged off somewhere. Where is it currently housed?

In the video, it is dragged off somewhere. Where is it currently housed?
No idea.
It seems a few vehicles were moved in the last year or so. The tanks being housed chronologically in the hangar is an example.
I recall from your earlier post upthread that when you asked about this vehicle on your visit, it was apparently the pet project of one of the officers to restore it.
Let's hope this move is the start of that process.