someone's disappointed about the new iPad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

robunos

You're Mad, You Are.....
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/v/lQnT0zp8Ya4

cheers,
Robin.

Great! ;D

I felt the same about lack of multitasking, I was dreaming about a MacOSX device to surf the net while taking notes in the coach. I'm tired of hours and hours sitting in the desk. But I still keep faith in Apple showing a true iPad on esteroids in a future revision.

pometablava said:
But I still keep faith in Apple showing a true iPad on esteroids in a future revision.

Esteroids?

Ummm...

E-steroids? Steroids for electronic media?
Asteroids? An iPad that can flatten a city and leave a major crater?
Estrogen-steroids? Steroids that make a guy both really strong, and in touch with his feminine side?

oh boy, the 16 million variation on Theme Hitler goes ballistic ::)
and still funny

let face it. after the Hype
Ipad is just a good colorfull E-book reader and Video player.

let see Wat next revision brings
i hope a USB or SD-card slot and More as 64 GB flash ram

The lack of flash support means millions of web pages the iPad cant read. ESPN, Hulu, etc.....

FAIL.

I just wanted to type steroids, but coined a new word instead. That neologism is exactly what I wanted to mean. Thanks Scott! ;)

What's new with the iPad? There have been tablets at least since 2005 or so.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_770_Internet_Tablet
And that's with Linux so you can put any software in...

You guys are missing the point... it's all about CONCEPT.

When the first iPod came out, people said, "So what... just a Walkman." Years later, iPod/iTunes/iTunes Store has changed the way people buy and listen to music. The iPhone changed the way people used their phone.

This is a content device. Agreements with content providers from a variety of medium allows Apple to benefit from the exchange of that content, like the iTunes Store. From newspapers to magazines, textbooks, TV shows, movies and more. What Apple is showing is just the beginning. This COULD change the way we access and view some or most of our content.

Yes, it's a simple device and lacking in certain features. But Apple is trying to sell the concept. And doing it in a smart way. Using an OS that is essentially a phone OS, albeit a very good one. And using a processor that is a glorified phone processor.

Don't think of it as a Netbook. Consider it's potential use in a way you may not be currently familiar with. Nurses using an app on their iPad to check on patient history, etc. from a central server. Workers at airports checking operations status. Guys on the flight line linked via app to a central server sending out streams of info. Students quickly purchasing course books and turning around and buying tickets to a concert that weekend. Teachers uploading course assignments and schedules. TV station personal keeping an eye on production and time schedules. Are these things a netbook can do? Yes... but ease of use in form factor and GUI can really change the way people interface and embrace a product. Not to mention the availability of easy-to-make apps that are inexpensive and effective. Forget cumbersome software whose users access only 10% of their features. Quick, precise and specific apps to get the job done. Oh, and take your iPad with you during your break to catch up to email or watch last night's episode of "The Office" or catch up on news, sports, etc. Or listen to music. And watch the video.

Want proof that it's more than just an ordinary tablet or netbook? Didya ever wonder what that huge data farm Apple installed in South Carolina was for?...

This is not your grandpa's netbook.

It's funny how we see all this cool stuff on sci-fi movies and wax poetic that "...one of these days". Yest once it gets here, the reception is always with a critical eye.

Apple is showing us the glimpse of the future, good people. And they're only just beginning.

Ray.
P.S. Watch for multi-tasking in perhaps release of 4.0 just around the corner.

Don't know if the iPad will truly revolutionize the way we live, but for now it merely looks like an enlarged iPhone that can't even take pictures!!!

pometablava said:

I just wanted to type steroids, but coined a new word instead. That neologism is exactly what I wanted to mean. Thanks Scott! ;)

So funny! I actually thought "esteroids" was the Spanish spelling of steroids, as many "st-" words are "est-" in Spanish... But I MUCH prefer OBB's reinterpretation of the word! (which goes to show that even Dr. House can have a good sense of humor when he forgets to be cynical! ;D)

Spanish word for steroids is "esteroides". That's why I wrote it wrong in my post.

Yehh..... the _concept_ is paying Apple *LOTS OF MONEY*
Until Apple builds machines that let me use the software *I* want, without
having to pay over-inflated prices for it, then I ain't interested.
Specifically, can I view illustrated PDFs on the iSlab??
BTW, the same goes for the 'Kindling', too.....

cheers,
Robin.

PS.and I didn't even use the term 'Fanboi', once.......

On the other hand, someone else really likes it.....

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lsjU0K8QPhs"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lsjU0K8QPhs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

cheers,
Robin.

RayBee27 said:

When the first iPod came out, people said, "So what... just a Walkman." Years later, iPod/iTunes/iTunes Store has changed the way people buy and listen to music. The iPhone changed the way people used their phone.

I fail to see the point. Similar other devices and services have existed but no big fuss has been made about them. That some people think apple products are revolutionary since they are white or something, doesn't make them such.

Did Apple create the laptop as well? I think it was a good observation by some person how in a conference some people say "let me just put my macbook on" or something like that while most people just speak of their "computer" or "laptop".

I think Apple could just sell empty boxes and make money.

This is a content device. Agreements with content providers from a variety of medium allows Apple to benefit from the exchange of that content, like the iTunes Store. From newspapers to magazines, textbooks, TV shows, movies and more. What Apple is showing is just the beginning. This COULD change the way we access and view some or most of our content.

There's already the thing called Internet, where content providers can serve to anyone regardless of the platform.

Yes, it's a simple device and lacking in certain features. But Apple is trying to sell the concept. And doing it in a smart way. Using an OS that is essentially a phone OS, albeit a very good one. And using a processor that is a glorified phone processor.

Don't think of it as a Netbook. Consider it's potential use in a way you may not be currently familiar with. Nurses using an app on their iPad to check on patient history, etc. from a central server. Workers at airports checking operations status. Guys on the flight line linked via app to a central server sending out streams of info. Students quickly purchasing course books and turning around and buying tickets to a concert that weekend. Teachers uploading course assignments and schedules. TV station personal keeping an eye on production and time schedules. Are these things a netbook can do? Yes... but ease of use in form factor and GUI can really change the way people interface and embrace a product. Not to mention the availability of easy-to-make apps that are inexpensive and effective. Forget cumbersome software whose users access only 10% of their features. Quick, precise and specific apps to get the job done. Oh, and take your iPad with you during your break to catch up to email or watch last night's episode of "The Office" or catch up on news, sports, etc. Or listen to music. And watch the video.

Want proof that it's more than just an ordinary tablet or netbook? Didya ever wonder what that huge data farm Apple installed in South Carolina was for?...

It's funny how we see all this cool stuff on sci-fi movies and wax poetic that "...one of these days". Yest once it gets here, the reception is always with a critical eye.

Apple is showing us the glimpse of the future, good people. And they're only just beginning.

Ray.

Why would nurses use an ipad? There have been tablet computers for ages. This is madness.

RayBee27 said:
You guys are missing the point... it's all about CONCEPT....

Yes, indeed. Somone just needs to merge the iPad with the Segway, and we will truly have a device that will Change The World.

segway.jpg

Orionblamblam said:
Michel Van said:
Ipad is just a good colorfull E-book reader and Video player.

Ah, but is it bulletproof? If so, there might be a market for it in places like Detroit.

yes is it
backcover is made from Aluminium...

mz said:
RayBee27 said:

I fail to see the point. Similar other devices and services have existed but no big fuss has been made about them. That some people think apple products are revolutionary since they are white or something, doesn't make them such.

Did Apple create the laptop as well? I think it was a good observation by some person how in a conference some people say "let me just put my macbook on" or something like that while most people just speak of their "computer" or "laptop".

There's already the thing called Internet, where content providers can serve to anyone regardless of the platform.

Ray.

Why would nurses use an ipad? There have been tablet computers for ages. This is madness.

Dr. Javeed Siddiqui, associate medical director for the Center for Health and Technology at UC Davis Medical Center, told the Bee he's excited by the potential the iPad offers for the medical industry.

"It's portable and it's lightweight," he said. "It has touch screen, a Web browser -- and all those features can be utilized as a way to integrate technology in patient care."

The real potential for the iPad in the medical field will lie in the ability to write custom applications for the hardware. In addition to a number of bundled applications, the iPad will have access to Apple's App Store, which now offers more than 140,000 different options.

Health care workers excited about the possibilities won't have to wait long for Apple's iPad. The Wi-Fi only version, starting at $499, is expected to ship by the end of March. The 3G-enabled version, which carries a $130 premium, should arrive a month later.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/02/01/ipad_appears_at_grammys_hospitals_eye_apples_new_hardware.html

Raybee27] [quote author=RayBee27 said:

Dr. Javeed Siddiqui, associate medical director for the Center for Health and Technology at UC Davis Medical Center, told the Bee he's excited by the potential the iPad offers for the medical industry.

"It's portable and it's lightweight," he said. "It has touch screen, a Web browser -- and all those features can be utilized as a way to integrate technology in patient care."

The real potential for the iPad in the medical field will lie in the ability to write custom applications for the hardware. In addition to a number of bundled applications, the iPad will have access to Apple's App Store, which now offers more than 140,000 different options.

Health care workers excited about the possibilities won't have to wait long for Apple's iPad. The Wi-Fi only version, starting at $499, is expected to ship by the end of March. The 3G-enabled version, which carries a $130 premium, should arrive a month later.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/02/01/ipad_appears_at_grammys_hospitals_eye_apples_new_hardware.html
[/quote]

Are you getting paid for this, Raybee?

I've worked in a medical sector company and tablet pc:s and lots of other things were visioned and could have been done (and probably have been done by countless companies, that was not my area, and I haven't followed the field). All this was much earlier, say in 2003-2004 or so.

Indeed, I googled with the words medical nurse tablet pc. And I got lots of ads of companies offering such, and lots of articles as well.
http://news.cnet.com/UCSF-nurses-test-tablet-PCs/2100-1041_3-6160820.html
http://www.arbor.com.tw/products/third.aspx?fid=2&sid=1
EDIT:
There's even a blog about, though it's not been updated since 2008:
http://tabletpcnursing.blogspot.com/
END EDIT

It's really revealing how when Apple does something, so many people are all ooh and ahh, it's never been done before. They could sell water and people would hail it as a great new innovation in low carb drinks or something.

Orionblamblam said:

For you information, every APPLE iPad will be de-clawed before it is shipped to consumers. You'll also be glad to know that the iPad was neutered during the development process.

mz said:
Raybee27] [quote author=RayBee27 said:

Are you getting paid for this, Raybee?

I've worked in a medical sector company and tablet pc:s and lots of other things were visioned and could have been done (and probably have been done by countless companies, that was not my area, and I haven't followed the field). All this was much earlier, say in 2003-2004 or so.

Indeed, I googled with the words medical nurse tablet pc. And I got lots of ads of companies offering such, and lots of articles as well.
http://news.cnet.com/UCSF-nurses-test-tablet-PCs/2100-1041_3-6160820.html
http://www.arbor.com.tw/products/third.aspx?fid=2&sid=1
EDIT:
There's even a blog about, though it's not been updated since 2008:
http://tabletpcnursing.blogspot.com/
END EDIT

It's really revealing how when Apple does something, so many people are all ooh and ahh, it's never been done before. They could sell water and people would hail it as a great new innovation in low carb drinks or something.
[/quote]

People are too fixated on the hardware. And their PAST experiences with "tablets" and "netbooks".

This is not that.

Again, think content. Then server farm. Paying for content. Through Apple.

The hardware is only the delivery device. Think bigger. WAY bigger.

Then CONSIDER that this MAY be the way things are headed.

My kids have grown up always aware that a personal computer was one of the household "appliances", something our generation had to adopt.

What is the next generation's experience? You'll never see it coming if you don't CONSIDER.

I'm no fanboy. I don't expect to buy one. Not interested. I don't even have an iPhone. I'm well aware that the iPad may fall flat on it's face. But I'm telling you, Job's vision is way bigger than selling iPod Touch's on steroids.

And when you say "...it's really revealing how when Apple does something..." What do you mean by that? What does it reveal? That statement is so laced with prejudice, it's incredulous.

They must be doing something right. They're still around. Not doing too badly, either, from what I've seen. Are they perfect? No. But it sure is nice seeing an American company being a major player in a very important market segment. And I do appreciate the visionary attitude Apple has.

RayBee

Thought I'd check back with y'all more than a year later, see if NOW you understand what I was trying to say in regards to understanding the power of NOT the device itself, per se, but rather what can be done WITH it, due in part, to the offerings of the App Store and the ability to easily write programs for it. The flexibility and subsequent customization of a device to get it to do what you NEED it to do.

Many stories like this:

American Airlines to save $1.2 million shifting paper flight charts to iPad
American Airlines has started a pilot program to test the use of Apple's iPad running a specialized app providing paperless flight navigation charts, a tool it says will save it over a million dollars a year in fuel costs.

Pilots' iPads will replace flight bags of paper charts that typically weigh 35 pounds or more, according to a report by MarketWatch.

The airline will be using iPads to test the new system on two flights between Los Angeles and Tokyo and Shanghai.

American Airlines joins Alaska Air in working to shift paper flight charts to the iPad; Alaska began the shift in May.

The US Federal Aviation Administration previously classified the iPad as a "class 1" electronic device, meaning it must be stowed during takeoff and landing, even by pilots. However, the FAA has since specifically approved the use of the iPad app providing tables and other information for use during all phases of flight, making it the first time a tablet has been usable during takeoff and landing.

American began offering some of its first class and business cabin customers Samsung-built Galaxy Tab devices running Android for in-flight entertainment, capable of tapping into the WiFi networks present on certain aircraft models.

In order to work suitably, Samsung said it would "customize the Galaxy Tab for American's in-flight entertainment needs, including the addition of expanded memory."

Samsung's tablets are not yet capable of working as electric flight charts however, because they can't run the FAA-approved flight charting app.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWzIPVgh1Xg&feature=player_embedded

seriously ipad ? who would use that in 2013 ? the answer is no one why cause there is a thing called Smart Phone with android or other Linux distribution just like that one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdsMwGWvhO4

Status
Not open for further replies.