Some Lesser-Known WW1 German Vehicle Projects

World B4

my bad y'all
Reaction score
The Marienwagen, a tank/APC with a rather interesting tactical concept

The LKIII, a heavily redesigned LKII

The Flakpanzer A7V, a SPAAG built on the A7V chassis

The Pioniertruppe A7V Schutzengrabbenbagger, a trench digging vehicle built on the A7V chassis

The Benz-Brauer Kraftprotze, a half track artillery tractor

Thank you, very interesting.

From google translate.

Year of construction of the first prototype: not completed Stage of completion: project. In the fall of 1918, just a few months before the end of the First World War, a team of engineers, led by designer Joseph Vollmer, presented a draft of a new combat vehicle, the design of which was based on the chassis of the newly built LK-II. Mainly, the hull of the tank underwent significant processing. On the LK-II, the fighting compartment was located behind the engine compartment, which had a positive effect on the crew’s security, but negatively on the forward view. To eliminate this drawback could only completely redo the layout of the tank. On a new machine, called the LK-III, the engine was moved to the rear of the hull. The combat compartment and control compartment, respectively, are located in front. The driver’s seat was in front of the tank commander’s seat and had a small superstructure with three viewing slots. The commander and loader were located in the armored wheelhouse at the rear and slightly higher. For embarkation and disembarkation from the tank, doors on the sides of the wheelhouse served. The LK-III chassis was completely borrowed from the LK-II. It was fastened between two parallel walls, and five trolleys, four road wheels each, were mounted to the frame from each side, and another trolley was fastened in front and performed the function of a persistent one. The guide wheel was located in the bow and was equipped with a screw mechanism for tensioning the tracks. The drive wheel, respectively, was installed at the rear and had a tooth type of gearing. There were no supporting rollers, and the suspension of the support trolleys was blocked, on coil springs, so that it was not necessary to count on special smoothness of travel. The trucks also planned to use standard, large-sized ones, with a pitch of 140 mm and a width of 250 mm. The number of tracks in one chain is 74 pieces. The undercarriage was completely covered by side screens with an armor thickness of 8 mm. On both sides there were oval cutouts for dumping dirt from the upper branch of the caterpillar chains. Apparently, in the production of LK-III, it was also planned to use automotive units, so that the brand of the engine could be any. We can say for sure that the type of engine was gasoline, and its power could vary between 50-60 hp. The tank's transmission included: the main clutch, a 4-speed automobile-type gearbox, a longitudinal shaft with bevel gears, disk clutches and tape (?) Brakes. Armament LK-III, according to the most common version at the moment, could consist of a 57-mm gun or a 20-mm automatic Becker gun (Becker Flieger Kanone). However, the possible presence of a machine-gun variant cannot be rejected. An order to build a series of 1000 LK-III tanks at once was received in October 1918, but, of course, it was not possible to complete it even in a partial volume. A prototype tank was not even built. After the war ended, the project did not receive further development, since they considered the modernization of the LK-II tank, which in 1919-1921, to be a more reliable way. mass-produced and exported. [The alleged appearance of the light tank LK-III equipped with a 57-mm cannon in the tower] Sources: Fedoseev S.L. Illustrated reference book “Tanks of the First World War”. Moscow. AST \ Astrel. 2002 DESIGN TACTICAL AND TECHNICAL CHARACTERISTICS OF THE LIGHT TANK Leichte Kampfwagen LK-III of the 1918 model. COMBAT WEIGHT ~ 8500-9000 kg CREW, pers. 3 OVERALL DIMENSIONS Length, mm ~ 5100 Width, mm ~ 1950 Height, mm ~ 2700 Ground clearance, mm? WEAPONS one 57-mm cannon in the wheelhouse or in the ammunition tower? Aiming devices optical sight RESERVATION forehead of the body - 14 mm side of the body - 14 mm of feed - 14 mm of the roof - 8 mm of the bottom - 8 mm ENGINE Daimler-Benz, carburetor, 4-cylinder, 60 hp TRANSMISSION of mechanical type RUNNING PART (on one side) 20 road wheels, 4 “road wheels”, rear drive wheel, small track with steel tracks SPEED ~ 16 km / h on the highway OVERCOMING OBSTACLES Angle of rise, hail. 41 ° Wall height, m? Wade depth, m 0.50 Ditch width, m 2.00 COMMUNICATIONS
Source: http://aviarmor.net/tww2/tanks/germany/lk-3.htm

Last edited:
Apologies, I have my laptop set to auto translate Russian so I forgot to do that

The Krupp-Protze was a tractor suited to the needs of the Sturmtruppen, It is well described in this video at 8:25

The Treffas-Wagen was the German attempt at a big wheel tank, which went about as well as the rest of the big wheel tanks

Does anyone have pictures or information regarding a vehicle known as the Dur-Wagen? Also, does anyone have any technical drawings or illustrations of the K-Wagen before it's redesign that subtracted 30 tons and the flamethrower?

Some projects from Aviarmor, in Russian

The Landkreuzer... no words.

The Bremer Tank of 1915, a vehicle for crushing barbed wire rather than an actual tank:

Additional info on these 2 projects would be greatly appreciated

So basically the Dür-Wagen was developed in answer to an Imperial Navy Office (Reichsmarineamt) requirement for an 'armored off-road conveyor for transporting heavy artillery and ammunition', in other words an artillery tractor? Or would a self-propelled artillery platform be a more accurate description?

So basically the Dür-Wagen was developed in answer to an Imperial Navy Office (Reichsmarineamt) requirement for an 'armored off-road conveyor for transporting heavy artillery and ammunition', in other words an artillery tractor? Or would a self-propelled artillery platform be a more accurate description?
I'm pretty sure it was intended to function as a tractor, the Germans experimented with several designs for all-terrain artillery tractors.

And here are some of the more commonly known ones, because not putting all of them here is bugging me. Some will be in Russian.

The K-Wagen super heavy tank, the original maus:

RU: The A7VU heavy tank, when they realized that the A7V was crap:

RU: Sturmpanzerwagen Oberschliesien medium tank, arguably the best design of the war:

RU: The LK-I, the first German light tank:

RU: The LK-II, the exciting sequel:

The Bussing A5P heavy armored car, only 1 was built so I'm including it:

The Mannschaftstransportwagen Mannesmann-MULAG apc, which hurt my fingers to type:

RU: Sturmpanzerwagen Oberschliesien medium tank, arguably the best design of the war:

The tank had the designation “Oberschlesien” (“Upper Silesia”, although the name “Dominatrix” is sometimes found) and belonged to the class Sturmpanzerwagen - assault armored vehicles.

o_O

Thought it was a translator glitch at first but apparently not.

"History of Russian armoured vehicles" - 2:49-2:51 - video with German experimental Goebel walking track:
IMG_20200210_190218.jpg
IMG_20200210_190253.jpg
Maybe someone has a full video with this machine?
And, unknown projects from 1918 from S. Fedoseev "WW1 tanks":
- "Heavy assault" tank "Hannover", engineer L. Elers
- "Infantry" tank "Hessen-Kassel", "Wegmann"
- Heavy tank "Horch", "Benz-Brauner"
Early variant of Kolossal-wagen:
ztyN4XS.png

Last edited:
pretty sure that LK III drawing is fictional btw
nice tho
Might well be, there's another drawing on the site. From what I know it was intended to be a redesigned LK-II, using the same parts for efficiency's sake, and given that the LK-II went through some prototypes and design changes, it's certainly possible that the LK-III did as well.

The Apollo-Walze system was a prototype attachment for armored cars to improve their cross-country abilities. If anyone can give me information about it I would greatly appreciate it

"New German armoured car", "by data of our agent in Germany" (from Russian WW1 archives):
IMG_20200422_222000.jpg
Other fakes - "Two type of tanks, very small, and big, in railroad car sizes", "last number - 120...", "weapons - 22 mm automatic cannons" - and, it's long before A7V and other tanks. But, as far as I know, the Germans destroyed in 1918 many documents on the production of weapons. Maybe, it was a projects? Light small tank with 22 mm gun... "Father" of Pz.II?