• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

SOFIA

Flyaway

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Both the aircraft & instruments are going in for routine servicing & update in Germany. The aircraft servicing is being done by Lufthansa Technik & instruments by the German SOFIA institute.

View: https://twitter.com/SOFIA_DSI/status/1313441315292672005

Archibald

Reaction score
Maybe SOFIA pushed too far, when compared to the older KAO ?

Flyaway

Reaction score
Announcement of lunar science results from SOFIA.

I’ve posted something about this in the Artemis thread as it seems related to that program as well.

TomS

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Yeah, a lot of articles have focussed on the "news about the moon" part and glossed over the specific platform, so I figured I'd highlight it here.

Good to have both, I think,.

Flyaway

Reaction score
Yeah, a lot of articles have focussed on the "news about the moon" part and glossed over the specific platform, so I figured I'd highlight it here.

Good to have both, I think,.
Must be something related to making the Moon easier for human exploration I reckon, rather than they’ve found Moon men!

TomS

Reaction score
I'm assuming lunar water ice, because it's the sort of thing SOFIA would be good at seeing. Plus that's the research topic of the scientist presenting the discovery.

Archibald

Reaction score
Hmmm... time for SOFIA to "redeem" itself after the scathing recent report... I wonder if it 100% a coincidence.

Bean counters "SOFIA sucks - can't produce enough good science, cost an arm and a leg"

NASA "SOFIA just helped confirm lunar water - making it useful to future Artemis missions ! Don't screw it !"

Flyaway

Reaction score
Hmmm... time for SOFIA to "redeem" itself after the scathing recent report... I wonder if it 100% a coincidence.

Bean counters "SOFIA sucks - can't produce enough good science, cost an arm and a leg"

NASA "SOFIA just helped confirm lunar water - making it useful to future Artemis missions ! Don't screw it !"
TBH I couldn’t help thinking the same thing when I first heard about this.

TomS

Reaction score
I'm assuming lunar water ice, because it's the sort of thing SOFIA would be good at seeing. Plus that's the research topic of the scientist presenting the discovery.

And confirmed. SOFIA specifically was able to confirm water rather than hydroxyl (-OH radical), ruling out the unlikely possibility that the previous water detections came from other hydroxyl-bearing compounds, rather than actual water:

Archibald

Reaction score
And guess where did they found water ? in Clavius crater ! The one where they found the monolith, in 2001. Amusing coincidence. Maybe they will found a black monolith there someday, looking for water...

The Artist

Reaction score
And guess where did they found water ? in Clavius crater ! The one where they found the monolith, in 2001. Amusing coincidence. Maybe they will found a black monolith there someday, looking for water...
Clavius was the base where we saw the Aries IV land. The site with the Monolith was designated TMA-1 for Tyco Magnetic Abnormality - 1. Remember these in that scene in the Moonbus? But, maybe that works better. With water nearby, that location (Clavius) becomes a considered location to build a base.

Attachments

• TMA-1 photo.jpg
    TMA-1 photo.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 6
  • TMA-2b_photo_1252534460.jpg
    TMA-2b_photo_1252534460.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 6

Archibald

Reaction score
D'ooh ! you are right of course !! the monolith was at Tycho, not Clavius. Silly me.