Société Paul Schmitt Aircraft

Avimimus

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Is this the same designer how developed the PS-7 and other related designs during the 1910s?

Avimimus said:
Is this the same designer how developed the PS-7 and other related designs during the 1910s?

NO my dear Avimimus,

the French Designer Paul Schmitt who did that,and he created from PS-1 up to PS-14,and
after the WW1 he developed the Model-194,an experimental aircraft,but this German designer
called Paul Schmidt.

Can we open a new thread for the french designer? I know only thew P.S.7 and it will be nice to see the other designs.

Maveric said:
Can we open a new thread for the french designer? I know only thew P.S.7 and it will be nice to see the other designs.

Temporarily,

the P.S.1 was a tailless biplane aircraft,P.S.2 was three seat trainer biplane,P.S.3 was two seat bomber/trainer,
powered by one engine,P.S.4 (SBR) record breaker and heavy bomber biplane,P.S.6 was two seat bomber
developed from Type-4,P.S.7 was a well known,P.S.7/4 was a sub type of P.S.7 but was equipped with two
additional wheels on the main landing gear,and P.S.8 was developed from P.S.3.

Last edited:
And,

the Paul Schmitt P.S.8 was a two seat bomber developed from P.S.3 but never finshed,the
P.S.3 with float given the designation P.S.9,the P.S.9 was re-allocated to anther aircraft,it
was two seat bomber powered by one 160 hp Canton Unne engine.

The P.S.10 was developed from Type 7 but with more powerful engine,a 300 hp Rebault
12 Fe engine,he also created anther float plane,maybe given the designation P.S.11,similar
to Type 10,an armored aircraft with 250 hp Clerget engine,with an all-steel fuselage and
armored cockpit,it was called P.S.12.

The P.S.13 was two seat bomber powered by two 260 hp Fiat A12 engines,the P.S.14
was two seat heavy night bomber (BN.2),powered by four Hispano-Suiza 8Be engines.

Finally the P.S.5 maybe was a two seat trainer biplane of 1913.

Last edited:
Two seaplanes designed by Paul Schmitt were obtained by the US Navy from the French Navy. The serials were A-52 and A-5636. It is not known what type these were. Possibly it was the attached photo (from San Diego Air and Space Museum).

Attachments

• PaulSchmtt.jpg
    PaulSchmtt.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 423
Jos Heyman said:
Two seaplanes designed by Paul Schmitt were obtained by the US Navy from the French Navy. The serials were A-52 and A-5636. It is not known what type these were.

My dear Jos,

it was developed from P.S.10,and maybe a variant of it,the same biplane with same
engine.

Do you have a reference source for that? And are both aircraft the same (considering the serials are wide apart).

Thanks for that Hesham, that is getting us in the right direction towards solving one of the historic mysteries (be it only a tiny one :)). In which book or journal did that appear? It is, however, still not exactly clear what the variant used by the US Navy was. Probably something we will never know unless we get a picture of these aircraft with their US Navy serial on it, something neither my picture or the picture you supplied has.
I have now (about 8 hours after the first version of this post) compared the description in the article with the SDASM photo I posted and am now reasonably confident (like 90%) that the photo is A-5636.
Now all we got to do is resolve A-52.
Thanks again, Hesham.

Not all thing,

Mr. Paul Schmitt designed a biplane powered by one 260 hp Salmson engine,P.S.9 again
re-allocated to aircraft with 230 hp Salmson engine.

The Type C2 was two seat biplane fighter of 1918,powered by one 400 hp Lorraine engine,
but was not ever completed.

Some Paul Schmitt aircraft;

http://www.finemodelworks.com/arizona-models/reference/Thumbs/Aircraft/France/Paul_Schmitt/Paul_Schmitt.html

Attachments

• Paul_Schmitt.jpg
    Paul_Schmitt.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 310
  • Paul_Schmitt_1914_Biplane.jpg
    Paul_Schmitt_1914_Biplane.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 293
Hi,

Paul Schmitt also designed the BN3/4 three/four seat night bomber project,maybe
developed from Type 14 (BN.2),powered by four 200 hp hispano-Suiza engines,I
suggest it was P.S.15,(only my opinion).

Jos Heyman said:
Two seaplanes designed by Paul Schmitt were obtained by the US Navy from the French Navy. The serials were A-52 and A-5636. It is not known what type these were. Possibly it was the attached photo (from San Diego Air and Space Museum).
Found another 2 photos of one of those seaplanes at NAS Pensacola on 17 November 1917, on the Flickr photostream of the US Navy:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127906254@N06/15144231680/in/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127906254@N06/15327778611/in/photostream/

Any clue about its designation?

Attachments

• Paul Schmitt aircraft at NAS Pensacola 17 November 1917.jpg
    Paul Schmitt aircraft at NAS Pensacola 17 November 1917.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 220
From Ailes 12/1947,

here is a strange idea from Paul Schmitt for supersonic speed.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    203.6 KB · Views: 111
  • Les_Ailes___journal_hebdomadaire_[...]_bpt6k9794947r_12.jpeg
    Les_Ailes___journal_hebdomadaire_[...]_bpt6k9794947r_12.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 104
hesham said:
From Ailes 12/1947,

here is a strange idea from Paul Schmitt for supersonic speed.

Paul Schmitt’s Concept - of adjustable nose cones for supersonic flight - pre-dates current NASA testing of Boom prototypes. The adjustable nose boom extends or retracts to tailor the sonic boom to reduce noise pollution.

I predict that future SS executive jets will eject high pressure air to tailor airflow around supersonic nose cones.

Hello This is most interesting. What are the sources for the 11 to 14 aircraft ? Any illustration ?
Why using arabic numerals ? I am under the impression Paul Schmitt always used roman numerals on his airplanes, advertising etc...?

JCC

Dear Carbonel,

the source is the book; French Aircraft of The First World War,but ti be honest,the Type 11 & 12
are only my guest,there was a two un-numbered Projects,I speculated that.

For my dear Carbonel and all members,

here is a Paul Schmitt series,with P.S.11 & P.S.12,as I expected exactly;