smoke generator on Japanese Tanks WW2

mackeebryanee13

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Screenshot (98).png
Hello everyone! I hope you all doing fine and safe!
Does anyone have anymore info about this interesting Japanese defense system?

Would be appreciated

Thanks

Hi.

All Afaik:

There was no official army program for smoke launchers on armored vehicles. Some troop improvisations were made from available engineer equipment:

jap%20typ%2095%20ha-go%20smoke%20dirchargers.jpg

Same as above, standard small smoke candles fired by pulling wires through the pistol port seen above the "discharger"

jap%20typ%2097%20Chi-Ha%20nebelwerfer.jpg

Same system as above next to the cupola of a Type 97 Medium Tank

jap%20typ%2097%20Chi-Ha%20nebelwerfer%202.jpg

similar system as above but using the large engineer smoke candles

jap%20typ%20ss-ki%20bo%20bruecke%202.jpg

On an Armoured Working Vehicle SS

Yours

tom! ;)

Hi.

These pictures were collected from various websites, my favourite is the forum https://forum.axishistory.com/index.php In my opinion there are only few reliable non-japanese sources on japanese army ground forces topics. But there are many people quite good in everything regarding IJA and IJN on the website mentioned. Maybe you can get further infos in the "Japan at War"-Thread there.

Yours

tom! ;)

Hi.

Some additional infos from Axis history forum:

Akira Takizawa said:
a) To be exact, it is not smoke discharger, but a mount of Type 99 self-projecting smoke candle(九九式発射発煙筒).
Type 99 is an official weapon for general purpose. It was used standing on the ground or attached to improvised base. At tank unit, it was attached to tank with a mount locally improvised. So, there are several manners to attach according to unit.

b) In the late WWII, two types of smoke dischargers were developed at Chiba Tank School. One is long-range smoke discharger. It could launch a smoke candle in 1,000m distance. Another is instant smoke discharger. It launches many smoke candles and hides a tank instantaneously. They were judged as effective, but I have never heard that they were actually used on tanks.

Taki

Taki is a special expert on IJA ground forces technologies. I posted my pic 1 on the forum and this is his reply.

hb-278.jpg

Type 99 self-projecting smoke candle. The candle was fired by a pull igniter visible on the top

Type 99 self-projecting smoke candle.
length
8.2 inch​
diameter 2.1 inch​
body color grey​
White Japanese characters on side.​
weight 2.9 pounds​
smoke mixture
HC Type​
Projectile has sheet metal casing. Igniter tube extends whole length of projectile. Under bottom cover match head exposed through slot.

279-type-94-floating-smoke-candle.jpg

Type 94 large smoke candle (here with a floating device ). Pic 3 shows these smoke candles used in a similar way.

Type 94 large smoke candle
length
18 inch​
diameter
6 inch​
Body color
Grey​
white label on side​
weight
44 pounds​
Smoke mixture
Berger type​
Hinged wooden handle at top, attached to metal band around casing. Small screw cap lid.

Data from the US Army "Handbook on Japanese Military Forces"

Yours

tom ;)