SITE CLOSING FOR UPGRADE POSTPONED TO 19/04/2019 NZST until 21/04/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been working through issues but it's now come to the point where I can't keep running in parallel and need to close down the existing site and servers and complete migration to the Xenforo platform on the new server.

My test migrations have been broadly successful, however I am still facing issues with transferring of private messages. Using the default importer, only messages you received are migrated, not messages you sent, and they are simply listed sequentially. I tested a modification which should have imported all the messages sent and received and grouped them nicely into conversations, but this did not appear to import all messages for all users.

I can't keep postponing the upgrade due to this issue, so I'm going to have to go ahead. I will probably give the full import one more try, and if it still doesn't work, I will go back to the import method which at least preserves all the messages you received. If you have vital information in PMs you sent or received, I suggest it might be prudent to save it somewhere.

CJGibson

I didn't get where I am today by not using SPF.
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHIo6qwJarI

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
All hands to General Quarters!

kitnut617

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
A question Paul, as the What-If Forum is also on the same server, will it be unavailable at the same time ? Just asking because whenever there's an issue here, What-If has an issue.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, but I will be moving the What-If forum separately to the new server, probably the following weekend. That should be much quicker as I'm not upgrading it to a new system, just moving it.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
seruriermarshal said:
Any system backup ?
Don't understand the relevance of the question? Please recall I am a professional IT engineer, not an amateur - this is my day job.

The site is backed up nightly. The migration will be done by copying the final backup to a new server and then importing the data to the new forum software. Once I'm happy it is working I can redirect www.secretprojects.co.uk to the new server. If necessary I can simply switch back to the old server and try again another time.

The old files will remain on the old server until What-if forum is also moved off, when the server will be deleted. The final backup of the SMF forum will be kept. The new forum will also be backed up nightly going forward.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Due to some work-related stuff I have to do this weekend, I have to postpone the site migration until next Friday. As its Easter holidays I will probably start work in the morning, and I am not on-call so there should no chance of further delays.

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
Due to some work-related stuff I have to do this weekend, I have to postpone the site migration until next Friday. As its Easter holidays I will probably start work in the morning, and I am not on-call so there should no chance of further delays.
Will the URL change or will we just come into to a new site when it's up and running?

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
URL will stay the same, and indeed all existing links to topics etc will work on the new forum thanks to some rewrite rules in the web server.

Silencer1

That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!
Reaction score
5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0 - Lift off :)

Hope this important step would made the forum more enjoyable and useful, attracting new members and inspire the existing ones.

Good luck, PaulMM!

Archibald

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Since you launch on April 12... may the spirits of Yuri Gagarin and OV-102 Columbia be with you !

flateric

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score

malipa

TU Delft AE student
Reaction score
Re: Register HERE for access to Camm's Last Fighter Projects Extras Forum

What is the name and link to the follow up forum actually of secretprojects.co.uk?

see Reply #11 by PaulMM

Status
Not open for further replies.