SIAT-224 STOL Military Observation and Photographic Aircraft Project

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
From My dear Fightingirich and from Flugzeug Classic of 9/2005;

here is the Siebelwerk or SIAT-224, a twin engined low-mid-wing STOL military
observation and photographic aircraft project of 1960s.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 855
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 810
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 747
By the way,

the drawing 1,the aircraft has a three lift engines in its fuselage,and that variant
consider a VTOL or STOVL,to be clear for everyone.

Translation of the captions:
Upper drawing:
One of several possible configurations would have been the carriage of foldable all-terrain cars in appropriate under-wing container. Alternatively the four hard-points could be used for carrying for example water (?) or fuel tanks, as well as general cargo container.

Lower drawing:
The most exotic use of the SIAT 224 probably would have been as a troop transport. Four streamlined pods should carry two or three soldiers each, depending on equipment. In the medevac role eight stretchers could have been carried.

Thanks for the translation and here's the follow up question...were those foldable, poddable jeeps just imaginary or did they exist as actual designs or even hardware? My guesstimate puts the rectangular portion of those pods at about three meters long, a meter high and less than a meter wide--motorcycles would have been easier!

Jemiba said:
Translation of the captions:
Upper drawing:
One of several possible configurations would have been the carriage of foldable all-terrain cars in appropriate under-wing container. Alternatively the four hard-points could be used for carrying for example water (?) or fuel tanks, as well as general cargo container.

Lower drawing:
The most exotic use of the SIAT 224 probably would have been as a troop transport. Four streamlined pods should carry two or three soldiers each, depending on equipment. In the medevac role eight stretchers could have been carried.

I wouldn't think of it as a real "Jeep", but rather of something like the "Kraka" ("Kraftkarren"/powered cart),which
were developed in the early sixties, but not used by the airborne forces before 1974/75, then already quite
different from the original designs, but still foldable.
(photo from http://www.panzerbaer.de/helper/bw_lkw_00-75t_gl_kraka-a.htm, which is recommend for more
photos and reading)

Attachments

• Kraka.jpg
    Kraka.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,099
Last edited:
And your link says this about the Kraka:

A lightly armored, two-seat version of the Kraka, which should be equipped with a 20 mm cannon or two anti-tank guided missiles HOT, was introduced in 1972 but not produced in series.

How about a pic of that one?

Attachments

• Kraka_armoured_01.jpg
    Kraka_armoured_01.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 495
  • Kraka_armoured_02.jpg
    Kraka_armoured_02.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Kraka_folded.jpg
    Kraka_folded.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 586
Neat, thanks! Though this makes it clear that the Kraka was not the vehicle that those pods on the SIAT-224 were intented to carry. The folded shape is all wrong.

Not sure about that ! It may not be aerodynamically very advantageous in this form, but maybe it could be
somewhat covered with a suitable container, which additionally could carry fuel and weapons.

Here some more jeeps
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,11808.msg114212.html#msg114212
http://www.tank-net.com/forums/?showtopic=31862
Many greetings

Thank you for pointing to that thread, obviously I hadn't found it by myself, or maybe
just overlooked.
But I still think, that the Kraka is the most probable candidate for the foldable jeep to be
carried by the SIAT-224. The time frame fits and IIRC, when the first really light and easy
transportable ATM came up, there were thoughts in the Bundeswehr about small and highly
mobile teams using them. Could have been a good way for bringing them to "soft spots" on,
or even behind the battle line.

Jemiba said:
...The time frame fits and IIRC, when the first really light and easy
transportable ATM came up, there were thoughts in the Bundeswehr about small and highly
mobile teams using them. Could have been a good way for bringing them to "soft spots" on,

Incidentally, interest in that concept was revived in the 1980s, as part of the 'Strike Shallow' school of thought.

Thank you for pointing to that thread, obviously I hadn't found it by myself, or maybe
just overlooked.
But I still think, that the Kraka is the most probable candidate for the foldable jeep to be
carried by the SIAT-224. The time frame fits and IIRC, when the first really light and easy
Back during the Cold War, West German paratroopers trained to jump into East Germany to mess-up rail hubs, bridges, ammo dumps, communications stations, etc. Anything that could slow the East German Army in it’s mission to invade West Germany. Light vehicles could be slung under helicopters or LAPESed on pallets.
Master Corporal R. Warner graduated Bundeswehr Luftelande und Lufttransport Schule 1986.

Last edited: