Shorts Pre-1945 Projects ?

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

also we can discuss here the Shorts unknown Projects,for Spec. R.1/36 small general
purpose flying boat,Shorts submitted a proposal,anyone has Info or drawing to it ?.

Hi,

if someone has an Info or drawing to Shorts proposal for Spec. S.9/36,three-seat spotter fighter
Project ?.

Both of these are odd.

I think that it is very likely that Short submitted a design to R.1/36 yet there is no project number to cover the work. I also think, given Gouge's design philosophy at the time, that it is likely it would have been quite similar to their known design for P.13/36, which also lacks a project number.

The only reference to Short submitting a design to S.9/36 that I know of is in Meekcoms and Morgan, I wonder how reliable this is. Once again there is no project number.

Thank you my dear Schneiderman,

and I think for Fairey,Shorts,Hawker and Armstrong Whitworth,they used a drawing
numbers,even with Westland,Gloster and some Bristol designs.

That is correct, several companies used drawing numbers that did not include any reference to the project number. Several never used project numbers at all and the numbers we see in some books etc. were given later. A good example would be Gloster.
However Short did use project numbers, as we know, yet some designs that reach quite an advanced state, such as P.13/36, did not have a number. That is hard to understand.

Hi,

again the mystery Shorts proposal for R.5/39 flying boat,the data was available,
but I think no drawing ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 124
That's the problem I keep finding with Short material in the RAeC archive; full tender documents but no drawings. Its very frustrating