Ship Collisions: Cyber warfare? How?

Airplane

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
This is the bar and anything is open to discussion, right? If this subject isn't allowed, my apologies.

I used to know a retired commander of an Aegis boat that I could have asked this question. But how in the hell could cyber warfare (alleged) cause our Aegis boats to collide with other ships? And if it is being done by China, as alleged in news reports, is this an act of war? It should be if true IMHO. The deaths of US sailors! Billions of dollar of damage! Fewer Aegis boats for missile defense.

But I don't understand how cyber warfare could be causing this. Certainly no one can hack into an Aegis boat at sea and foul the millions of lines of code to cause the tankers/transports to not appear on radar.

"Many journalists have fallen for the conspiracy theory of government. I do assure you that they would produce more accurate work if they adhered to the cock-up theory."
Bernard Ingham, 1985

https://www.airforcetimes.com/naval/2017/08/23/7th-fleet-commander-sacked-days-after-second-deadly-collision/

WASHINGTON – The head of U.S. Navy forces in the Pacific fired the three-star commander of the Japan-based 7th Fleet Wednesday, two days after the second deadly collision between a U.S. destroyer and a commercial tanker in as many months.

Adm. Scott Swift relieved Vice Adm. Joseph Aucoin after a rash of accidents have raised fundamental questions about the ships in 7th Fleet, including whether they are able to safely execute even the most basic functions expected of naval warships based in one of the most congested and volatile regions on earth.

“Adm. Scott Swift, commander of U.S. Pacific Fleet, today relieved the commander of Seventh Fleet, Vice Adm. Joseph Aucoin, due to a loss of confidence in his ability to command,” a release posted on PACFLT‘s website said.
More at the link.

Arjen has the right of it. There is no plausible way cyberwarfare could cause such collisions -- the bridge nav systems just aren't networked for obvious reasons.

I think the Navy is making a mistake by not rejecting the suggestion forcefully enough. Rightly, they don't want to close down avenues of investigation, but there's just no way this could be a factor.

Even if the electronics were wrong, the OOD, Quartermaster, and lookouts should be able to maintain situational awareness on close contacts without relying on electronics at all. Even at night, and in crowded waters, it's not that hard to identify a CBDR (constant bearing, decreasing range) contact that requires closer tracking. And the OOD should be out on the bridge wing watching such targets with binoculars, not head-down on an electronic navaid.

I'm guessing some people urgently need to go to school, others to catch some sleep, and the rest to quit overburdening crews. Career changes might be considered.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/former-sailors-response-recent-destroyer-collisions-robert-mcfall

Attachments

• einstein-stupidity-quotes.jpg
    einstein-stupidity-quotes.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 83
"7th Fleet’s sloppy seamanship manifested in Antietam’s January grounding"
by Geoff Ziezulewicz

Aug 24, 2017

Source:
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2017/08/24/pacific-fleets-sloppy-seamanship-manifested-in-antietams-january-grounding/