Shin Meiwa Amphibious Air Transport System

Hood

ACCESS: Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
Shin Meiwa developed the Amphibious Air Transport System during the late 1980s/early 1990s and was looking for partners to complete development as late as 1999.

The aircraft was a 30/50-seat airliner powered by two wing-mounted turbofans with upper surface blowing. Range would be between 500nm with full payload to 1,200nm with full fuel. Take-off distance was estimated as 1,000m on water and 800m on soft ground. Cruising speed 345-414mph (556-667 km/h).

Source: Jane's Civil and Military Upgrades 1993-94

Hi! This one?

Attachments

• SHINMEIWA SS-X.jpg
    SHINMEIWA SS-X.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 787
Am I right, that our standard spelling of the companies name is wrong ?

Jemiba said:
Am I right, that our standard spelling of the companies name is wrong ?

A transcription should always aim at best reproducing the pronunciation of the original name, but aviation history is full of approximations in that context, resulting for the most part from a lack of knowledge on the part of journalists. Think of Tupolev, for instance a lame transcription of what really should read "Tupolyev", or Alexeev which should be "Alexeyev." Japanese names have been better transcribed on the whole, but "Kawassaki" or "Kokussai" would be better to reproduce the sounding "s" (many people mispronounce these as "kawazaki" and "kokuzai").

Transcriptions ought to vary in each language, as each language uses different letter combinations to obtain the same sound. Yet in many instances the journalists get it wrong and keep a foreign transcription that doesn't sound the same in their own language. In French, we should write "Kawanichi", "Aïtchi", "Kyouchou" or "Kokoussaï" for instance, but we stupidly went for the English language transcriptions that don't sound the same at all. There used to be a time when (correct) spellings such as "Toupoliev", "Kotcheriguine" or "Grouchine" were around, but today ill-informed journalists use the English spelling. Oddly many continue to use Alexeyev, Ilyouchine and Myassichtchev and not the English ones.

Shin Meiwa and Shinmaywa sound the same, so I guess in this example this is not too much of a problem, though I agree one should settle for one transcription per language...

Yes Shinmaywa is little strange for us Japanese,too.
Generally we write as Shinmeiwa.
But it's Shinmaywa's decision.

Good Day All -

Always nice resurrecting an old thread!

A recent donation of a collection to the Museum included the brochure "Water Based Regional Air Transportation System" which features the Shin Meiwa SS-X. The brochure is a bot too big for the attachment limits so will ask Paul to add it to the thread. In the brochure are the following - a color artwork and the specifications for the SS-X.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zShin Meiwa SS-X Artwork.jpg
    zShin Meiwa SS-X Artwork.jpg
    865.9 KB · Views: 387
  • zShin Miewa SS-X Specifications.jpg
    zShin Miewa SS-X Specifications.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 350
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/Water%20Based%20Regional%20ATS%20Brochure.pdf

I think that this picture shows somewhere in Japanese Mediterranean sea Setonaikai, but I can't identify where it is. :-[

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/102619174

Attachments

• 102619174.jpg
    102619174.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 205