Shenyang FC-31 prototype to J-XY / J-35 naval fighter

Re: Shenyang J-21 / J-31 revealed!

There were even two flights today !

Deino said:
... Anigrand's model seems to be finished:

1/72 scale Shenyang J-31 - Fifth-generation carrier based fighter

By the way the J-31 has so far performed four flights !!

Deino
Hard to tell from the available pics to compare with the original plane, but if this model is as inaccurate and simplified as Anigrand's J-20( yeah, I know, short run, shortage of good photostock at the time, etc, I still don't care- I want the model to be as faithful a scaled replica of the original as possible) , I'm gonna give this one a miss and wait patiently for Trumpeter's release.

... some new images - albeit with these damn stupid stamps on it !
mad.gif
.... and a happy new year of the snake to all !

Deino

Attachments

• J-31 - 9.2.13 - 1.jpg
    J-31 - 9.2.13 - 1.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 614
  • J-31 - 9.2.13 - 2.jpg
    J-31 - 9.2.13 - 2.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 604
  • J-31 - 9.2.13 - 3.jpg
    J-31 - 9.2.13 - 3.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 561

Don't sweat it, those look great. I just wish we could get some good gear-up pictures.

Based on the underside picture it looks to me like any production version will have a weapons bay almost exactly where the F-22 has its AMRAAM bay.

JFC Fuller said:
Based on the underside picture it looks to me like any production version will have a weapons bay almost exactly where the F-22 has its AMRAAM bay.
Seems that would put a tight limit on weapons diameter like the F-22. I tried zooming in, but it appears as though the plane's bottomside has been "airbrushed" as it were. Personally, I'm expecting a deeper, longer, more-central bay; at least that's the impression I got from some of the earlier pics that showed it open from the side while on the ground.

No need for stamps. These ones were too easy to clean up, it just took a few minutes.

Attachments

• J-31 - 9.2.13 - 1c.jpg
    J-31 - 9.2.13 - 1c.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 517
  • J-31 - 9.2.13 - 2c.jpg
    J-31 - 9.2.13 - 2c.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 183
  • J-31 - 9.2.13 - 3c.jpg
    J-31 - 9.2.13 - 3c.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 169

;) ;) ;) ;)

Attachments

• J-31 gear up.gif
    J-31 gear up.gif
    152.6 KB · Views: 862

JFC Fuller said:
The underside of the rear fuselage screams J-15 style tail-hook to me.
One of the models displayed showed a tail hook.

Not sure how official the model was.

kaiserbill said:
JFC Fuller said:

The F-22 has a tailhook. So does the F-16 and F-15 (among many other land-based aircraft).

sferrin said:
kaiserbill said:
JFC Fuller said:

The F-22 has a tailhook. So does the F-16 and F-15 (among many other land-based aircraft).
True.
The model did show a substantially built tailhook though, ala the J-15, and I'm not aware of many other Chinese aircraft with a similar feature.

Again though, I'm not sure how official the model was.

Also, and I know I am purely working from my "Eyeball Mk1" here, but the undercarriage doesn't look particularly beefy to me.

Those underside images appear to have been manipulated...the underside between the main and nose gears is virtually featureless... :-\

Magoodotcom said:
Those underside images appear to have been manipulated...the underside between the main and nose gears is virtually featureless... :-\

is it? on the first two pictures I can make out the outlines of the bay

A new image ... but most likely from the last series of images !

Attachments

• J-31 landing large.jpg
    J-31 landing large.jpg
    515.1 KB · Views: 180

sferrin said:
kaiserbill said:
JFC Fuller said:

Western military airfields are frequently equipped with emergency runway arrester system for the hooks. The chinese and russians are not known to use similar arrester systems for military airfields. There is no evidence the chinese are contemplating one.

IIRC, the tailhooks on land-based aircraft are not design for carrier-type landings, the hooks nor airframes are designed for those stresses, but for the emergency cables located in many runway overruns at much lower speed.

The prototype is a land based aircraft for sure, but in my opinion the design is tailored for a carrier based derivative because the nose landing gear configuration is exactly the same as the F-18 and F-14 with a rear strut to carry catapult loads. I can't think of any land based aircraft with this layout.

Machdiamond said:
The prototype is a land based aircraft for sure, but in my opinion the design is tailored for a carrier based derivative because the nose landing gear configuration is exactly the same as the F-18 and F-14 with a rear strut to carry catapult loads. I can't think of any land based aircraft with this layout.

Parvania Tornado, Lockheed YF-12, Eurofighter EF-2000, Saab Viggen, Mikoyan Mig-23, Mig-25, Mig-27, Convair F-106, North America YF-107, GD F-111.

And most relevently perhaps, the J-10

chuck4 said:
Machdiamond said:

Parvania Tornado, Lockheed YF-12, Eurofighter EF-2000, Saab Viggen, Mikoyan Mig-23, Mig-25, Mig-27, Convair F-106, North America YF-107, GD F-111.

And most relevently perhaps, the J-10
;D ;D ;D

Very funny chuck4. I probably write my sentences too long and you stopped reading at the word "strut".
A rear strut designed to carry catapult loads does not look like any of the examples you have given. The strut it is attached about mid-height on the nose gear in compressed static position and angled such that catapult loads are inline with it so that the nose gear does not carry any significant loads during the cat shot.
The current J-31 gear does not look beefy enough for carrier ops no doubt, but the configuration is compatible with it.

Machdiamond said:
Very funny chuck4. I probably write my sentences too long and you stopped reading at the word "strut".
A rear strut designed to carry catapult loads does not look like any of the examples you have given. The strut it is attached about mid-height on the nose gear in compressed static position and angled such that catapult loads are inline with it so that the nose gear does not carry any significant loads during the cat shot.
The current J-31 gear does not look beefy enough for carrier ops no doubt, but the configuration is compatible with it.

It also explains the widely spaced twin nose wheels. It leaves room to place the launch bar. I've never seen a land based aircraft with twin nose wheels spaced as far apart as they are on the J-31. Hell, even the land based version of the Hornet, the F/A-18L was going to have a single nose wheel. I've also said from day one that this design has been optimized for Naval ops.

I suspect what we see flying is mainly an aerodynamic prototype, in which case you don't need all of the naval accoutrements for early flight test.

Following the latest reports and rumours the J-21/31 (project 310) has now received military funding and will continue as a PLA program too.

Can anyone confirm this ??

Deino

Another new image ...

211116n8f46a88s4j49ffm_zps5906fbe3.jpg

Deino

As published in Flight Global earlier in the year.
Not too sure of how accurate the reporting is of the designers comments.
As with many translations, something almost inevitably gets lost in translation.
Even english speaking journalists interviewing english speaking people sometimes use artistic licence.

From this, it appears that the carrier borne role was kept in mind.
Whether it was primary, is another question.
Sun Cong has also stated in another interview that China must get carrier catapults.

Posted for what it is worth.

The chief designer of the Shenyang J-15 fighter has compared the aircraft to the Boeing F/A-18
Hornet
, and suggests that the developmental J-31 could one day serve aboard
Chinese aircraft carriers.

In an interview with Chinese state news agency Xinhua, Chinese aircraft
designer Sun Cong said that the J-15 is "generally close to the US F/A-18,
reaching world class standards".

He adds that the J-15 could have a combat radius of over 1,000km (540nm) if