Shenyang FC-31 prototype to J-XY / J-35 naval fighter

Nice find siegecrossbow, I did not see that the Luneburg lens was attached.

Luneburg lens attached. It is very close to production.

View attachment 722005

But why is his a sign for production soon? I suspect this item is installed as a standard feature at least for the later prototypes and surely on the test schedule at this stage, but I don’t think it is a hint on how far it is away from production .

But why is his a sign for production soon? I suspect this item is installed as a standard feature at least for the later prototypes and surely on the test schedule at this stage, but I don’t think it is a hint on how far it is away from production .

It means that the design has progressed far enough for them to be comfortable enough to take internal RCS optimization measures. Not having a luneburg could be a safety liability for ground control.

In fact we can compare when J-20 prototype 2011 received luneburg and when the type entered service. That could give us a rough estimate for when J-35 is ready.

It means that the design has progressed far enough for them to be comfortable enough to take internal RCS optimization measures. Not having a luneburg could be a safety liability for ground control.

In fact we can compare when J-20 prototype 2011 received luneburg and when the type entered service. That could give us a rough estimate for when J-35 is ready.

Good pint, but I thought we have seen J-20s already quite early in their flight test phase with Luneburg-lenses?!

Or just that they've decided to add it now. There's nothing to prevent it being added at any stage from first flight on.

I wonder what would happen if Pakistan did buy the land based J-31 what would happen in regards to the Radar Absorbent Material or rather the treatment of it? Would Pakistan have to purchase the RAM from China or some how make it themselves?
If I were China, I'd "forget" to add the RAM to the skin panels and any putties they "need" to use.

I'd say once the physical design is frozen it would make sense to start using it, as it would prevent adversaries on building up info on the aircraft's return signature.

Physical design is only part of the equation. There are also a lot of measures taken under the skin to reduce RCS as well such as honeycombed radar absorbent structure.

I had forgotten about the radar absorbent structure plays an important part in the design and development of modern stealth aircraft, it amazes me that the PAF are even considering buying the J-31 with all its complexities about RAS and RAM. But I suppose it is up to them if they want to keep up with India.

AMCA has not been built, Checkmate is a mock up at this stage.
Boramae isnt a 5th gen plane.
the CDR of AMCA has been finished, Checkmate is to fly relatively soon and the current Boramae is clearly intended to be a 5th gen later down the road.

Try taking a look at the empty weights of the F-35 variants and the F-15 variants?
Seems to really depend on the variants being compared. The empty weight of the Strike Eagle family is a is higher than that of the F-35A while the original Eagles are a bit lighter.

As for the J-35 any weight estimates that currently exist for it are just guesswork, considering the dimensions of the aircraft I wouldn't be surprised if the final aircraft has a similar empty weight to the F-35A.

The standards for fighter weight classes have changed with time. You can even just look at the weight growth long-serving designs like the F-16 have seen and the F-16 isn't even trying to carry weapons internally. Ultimately the F-35A/B is still medium weight when compared to something like the F-22, Su-57, or J-20.

Try taking a look at the empty weights of the F-35 variants and the F-15 variants?

You can’t rank fighters cross generations based on empty weight. Fighter have only gotten larger and heavier over time due to advances in engine technology. An F-15, for instance, weighted as much if not more than a B-17.

Engines still seem quite smokey. Are these RD33s?

Allegedly further development of the RD-93-based WS-13E called WS-21 until - similar to the J-20 situation - the WS-19 is ready.

Is it the type of fuel that they are using? The EJ-200s do not produce that amount of smoke.

Is it the type of fuel that they are using? The EJ-200s do not produce that amount of smoke.

What if I tell you that it has nothing to do with the type of fuel or necessarily the engine, but excess fuel that’s not completely combusted after the after burner has been shut off?

Thanks seigecrosbow, I did not know that about the excess fuel not being combusted.

When the sky is muggy or overcast the exhaust gasses color is more visible.