Semi-Inflatable Station Module?

Demon Lord Razgriz

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
I'm currently working on a personal project of an AU Space Station, and looking at the Inflatable Station Modules, would it be possible to make a semi-inflatable module? Like so...

Or would this be a disaster?

Attachments

• Semi-Inflatable Module.png
    Semi-Inflatable Module.png
    3 KB · Views: 117
Joking aside, an inflatable space station or even spacecraft has always made a lot of sense to me to provide more elbow room for the same weight. If inflated after and deflated before any significant accelerations, that would be a much lighter solution than a larger rigid spacecraft.

It's also not hard to imagine some combination of inflatable and polymer technology, where a large flexible structure is transported compactly as an inflatable structure but, once inflated, a catalyst is intruduced to harden the flexible membrane to form a rigid compasite shell.

Demon Lord Razgriz said:
Or would this be a disaster?

I don't know about "disaster," but "structural nightmare," to be certain. Multi-lobe pressure-vessels are heavier than circular-cross-section vessel of the same cross sectional area. The vessel in your design cannot have just one big open space across all three lobes; it will need a structural web across the apexes to keep the center section from simple blowing up like a balloon. Additionally, the apexes, where the relatively thin-walled metal section joins with the thick-walled flexible sections, will be an interesting exercise.

Orionblamblam said:
I don't know about "disaster," but "structural nightmare," to be certain. Multi-lobe pressure-vessels are heavier than circular-cross-section vessel of the same cross sectional area. The vessel in your design cannot have just one big open space across all three lobes; it will need a structural web across the apexes to keep the center section from simple blowing up like a balloon. Additionally, the apexes, where the relatively thin-walled metal section joins with the thick-walled flexible sections, will be an interesting exercise.

if i understand this right
a transhab module or new Russian inflatable module much easier to handle design?
more on Russian inflatable module here
http://www.russianspaceweb.com/inflatable.html

Look at the Bigelow Expandable Activity Module. It flew up to the International Space Station and was inflated in 2016. It has survived a few micro-meteorite hits and will remain attached to ISS until 2028.

I like an inflatable as a covering over a wet workshop/wet-stage for several reasons:
A space walk means you are between two layers so there is no drifting off. The inflatable outer layer is insulation…the tankage for rigidity and plumbing. An inflatable inner layer can be added for yet more protection…with gaps between gel filled for radiation protection and further insulation.