• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Scaled Composites Model 401

XP67_Moonbat

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
http://www.scaled.com/images/uploads/news/Scaled_Completes_First_Flight_of_Experimental_Aircraft_20171011.pdf

XP67_Moonbat

Reaction score
http://www.aviationpros.com/press_release/12373947/scaled-completes-first-flight-of-experimental-aircraft

AeroFranz

Reaction score
Neat. I hope we find out what the application is. I don't think you invest IRAD money unless you think there's a need for this. Was it maybe a demonstrator for something black? The fact that it's got a cockpit doesn't mean it wasn't supposed to be unmanned or optionally piloted (see Firebird).

marauder2048

"I should really just relax"
Reaction score
Maybe a customer who doesn't want to pay General Atomics' asking price for Avenger.

fightingirish

Reaction score
Video:
https://dq0mmww6n9gqf.cloudfront.net/mco/2017/10/11/59de8564e4b0cf92c3b07f52/59de8573e4b0bdc8d4556b42_t_1507755385987_mobile.m3u8
Source:
https://www.defensenews.com/air/2017/10/11/scaled-composites-reveals-mysterious-new-model-401-prototype/

XP67_Moonbat

Reaction score
Makes me wonder if there's a line of research tying the 401 and General Atomic's MQ-25 bid.

bobbymike

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Would you test a sub scale wing of the B-21?

kcran567

Reaction score
Would make a good "Red Air" threat simulator to work alongside the older Aggressors too?

sferrin

Reaction score
MQ-25 subscale demonstrator maybe? ???

NeilChapman

Interested 3rd party
Reaction score
It's more likely that they're building two low cost platforms for Flight Research, their neighbor. They do government contracted services.

Flyaway

Reaction score
Scaled Composites @ScaledC
Scaled is proud to say that today was the first flight of our newest experimental aircraft, Model 401! #firsts (link: http://bit.ly/M401FF) bit.ly/M401F

Press release on link above.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScaledC/status/918185829951987712

Airplane

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Ahhhh.... No. I would imaging that those windmills on the ground are closer to the B-21 than the demonstrator in the pic.

bobbymike

Reaction score
Airplane said:
Ahhhh.... No. I would imaging that those windmills on the ground are closer to the B-21 than the demonstrator in the pic.
Not talking about the whole aircraft obviously, so you would never test different wing planforms or configurations?

TomS

Reaction score
It's hard to tell, but in the video, it looks like the wingtips are slightly drooped?

Orionblamblam

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
Well, *finally.* Quiet Bird was born in the early sixties, but took more than fifty years to fly. Looks like it's aging slowly... right now it's in that gangly awkward early teenager stage. Soon it'll break out in sensor blisters...

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
bobbymike said:
bobbymike said:
Understanding one is an artist's rendering but are the wings similar? Hiding testing in plain site?
Raider has diffirent LE sweep to start with. About 40'.

Airplane

Reaction score
If there was a need to get a subscale model of the Raider some 'air time' I imagine this would be the easiest and cheapest method....

bobbymike

Reaction score
flateric said:
bobbymike said:
bobbymike said:
Understanding one is an artist's rendering but are the wings similar? Hiding testing in plain site?
Raider has diffirent LE sweep to start with. About 40'.
Thanks flateric appreciate the response.

sublight is back

Reaction score
Orionblamblam said:
Well, *finally.* Quiet Bird was born in the early sixties, but took more than fifty years to fly. Looks like it's aging slowly... right now it's in that gangly awkward early teenager stage. Soon it'll break out in sensor blisters...
And still Boeing maintains that they've "lost" all the records on quiet bird.....

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Airplane said:
If there was a need to get a subscale model of the Raider some 'air time' I imagine this would be the easiest and cheapest method....

O'RLY?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PyugEAF3CCk

Airplane

Reaction score
This isn't a Raider thread, but I am sure all the subscale modeling and wind tunnel testing and prototyping and demonstrator testing is loooong since done at this point. Likely the outer mold line has been settled and they are turning that into a manufacturable set of components/drawings and doing the hum drum boring stuff of tolerance stacks, and design for service, manufacturability, and etc etc....

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Airplane said:
Likely the outer mold line has been settled and they are turning that into a manufacturable set of components/drawings
It has been for a while.
“Our biggest activity right now is putting out drawings to build the bomber,” Walden said, the airplane having passed its first major milestone—Preliminary Design Review. The next task is to “get on with the first builds of the structure.”

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
marauder2048 said:
Maybe a customer who doesn't want to pay General Atomics' asking price for Avenger.
It does look like a manned version of a Avenger doesn't it:

cluttonfred

Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
Maybe a proof of concept for a low cost, somewhat stealthy alternative to the Textron AirLand Scorpion?

AeroFranz

Reaction score
Not a bad idea, in principle. I don't see much internal bay volume on this vehicle, though...and it would make no sense to hang things externally. Definitely screams test article/demonstrator to me - but for what? is it just the structures, as they claimed?

I wonder of the presence of dihedral is to get acceptable flying qualities, which would point at the lack of FBW. Not unrealistic in a low cost demonstrator.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
great idea, if so.

Dihedral: the engine seat on the top -> CG is higher -> lateral stability is lessened -> exacerbated dihedral increases the margin of stability for cheap.

Alternatively, with a lower altitude of flight (30k ft) the aspect ratio is increased, what "could" benefits the RCS (test?) given the refined shape of the wing planform.

But given the habit of SC to tune everything aerodynamically at the extreme, it could well be only in order to have the wing whashout acting better on the V-Tail at cruise level (lifting tail -> less trim drag -> less drag).

Obviously, the real motive could be none of that or to force bloggers to waste some extra watt of energy. ::)

XP67_Moonbat

Reaction score
Perhaps it's demonstrating tech for a possible U-2 replacement.

AeroFranz

Reaction score
Maybe. One thing to keep in mind is that this vehicle doesn't necessarily have to be at representative scale. Depending on what you are trying to demonstrate, you can retire a lot of the risks doing something as small as half scale.
The more i think about it, the more a structures demonstrator (which is what they said) makes sense. It would justify not having a weapons bay or FBW.

Sundog

Reaction score
Don't forget, BoP was a a low cost structures stealthy demonstrator. It didn't represent a production configuration, but lead to the X-45.

litzj

BLOG : http://jaesan-aero.blogspot.com/
Reaction score
Website
jaesan-aero.blogspot.com
it reminds me Tacit Blue of Northrop

stealthy and lomg endurance

probably for stealth tanker or reconaisance

Airplane

Reaction score
litzj said:

The 401 is anything but stealthy. LO is in the details and details are not stealthy.

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Are you Dr.Cashen?

litzj

BLOG : http://jaesan-aero.blogspot.com/
Reaction score
Website
jaesan-aero.blogspot.com
Airplane said:
litzj said:

The 401 is anything but stealthy. LO is in the details and details are not stealthy.

basically u are right, but this prototype aircraft has potential to be stealthy

it seems like small demonstration for bigger real one

if it will not pursue stealth, there is no need for that complex layout