Safire Private Jet Aircraft & Projects

It was just an idea floating around, there was very little engineering and zero marketing done.

The potential of a $85,000 FJX-2 turbofan was just stirring so many crazy ideas.

It has an history though, I came up with the idea when I was working at Bombardier a few months earlier. I dubbed it the SkyDoo and pitched it to the advanced design group (no need to tell how it was received).

Below is the model of the aircraft that was rendered probably in 2000 when I gave up on it.

--Luc

Attachments

• S12C34.jpg
    S12C34.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 301
Luc,

it seems like you might be in a position to comment on the demise of the EJ22. i never got the full story on why it failed to achieve the initial goals and why it was completely dropped. I heard various things, from higher than anticipated SFC, to really intricate design (some people mentioned it being a three-spool design!). It is really curious that after all the hype, and obvious (at least to me) market for such a small engine, that it would be dropped with no plans to continue work to rectify its deficiencies. Can you comment on that?

Unfortunately I can't.

The wikipedia entry on the engine has an accurate description of the situation as far as I know.

--Luc

THanks - i did read a couple of things I did not know in the article.

The Safire S-26.

https://minijets.org/fr/300-500/williams-ej-22/projet-safire-s-26/

Attachments

• Saphire_S26.jpg
    Saphire_S26.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 166