SAAF "AWACS" - real or confusion?

CJGibson

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
My holiday reading included "The Rhodesian War" by Paul Moorcraft and Peter McLaughlin which included quite a bit on the air war from 1965 to 1979. One item of interest to me comes from a description of the 1979 Operation Uric (called Operation Bootlace by the South Africans) This was a major joint operation by the RhAF and the SAAF against FRELIMO and ZANLA bases in Mozambique. In the book, the authors state the following on page 164:

"The SAAF had its own AWACS aircraft, a converted DC-4 nicknamed Spook."

Is this, as I suspect, an on-scene C3 aircraft used to co-ordinate the operation or did it have an AEW+C role as suggested by the use of the term "AWACS"?

Googling +SAAF + Spook returns that "Spook" was 42934, a DC-4 used for electronic warfare, hence the name Spook, but does anyone know of any South African AEW projects taht could give rise to the authors statement?

Thanks

Chris

Mmmmm.

I know the DC-4's were modified for the electronic warfare role. I know they had 8 at one stage, reduced to 7 due to an airframe being damaged in a hangar fire. As far as I know, more than one was converted into the electronic warfare role. They were used mainly in the electronic warfare shere of electronic reconnaissance, and in realtime support of airforce strike packages. I suppose the latter would qualify it to a degree to be described as an Airborne Warning And Control System (AWACS)?

The SAAF Boeing 707's were purchased in 1982 only, so would not qualify.

Both these aircraft are still shrouded in mystery though.

Maybe ask over at the SAAF forum?

http://saairforce.co.za/forum/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=e52787d5ef88bdca42526a61adafa896

The SAAF DC-4 in action in Op Uric was most definitely an ELINT platform, I can vaguely recall some mention of it hanging around over the border during Op Uric in Winds of Destruction by Petter-Bowyer or Counter Strike from the Air by JRT Wood (both excellent detailed first hand studies of the Rhodesian air land war). The RhAF also had an ELINT Dakota called “Warthog” in action during this operation. One of the two RhAF ELINT DC-3s was also frequently used as an airborne command post thanks to its radio fitout and secure Telex link to Salisbury. So reference to this role as AWACS is probably airborne command terminology confusion in the ARE [Acronym Rich Environment].

Alex Binda’s Op Uric reconstruction uses intercept data from the Warthog to provide a blow by blow of the battle.

http://www.memoriesofrhodesia.com/media/documents/Op-Uric.pdf

Puma 164 Tribute

http://www.tekkieraces.co.za/springbok/2010/inhoud/puma164_tribute.pdf

Abraham Gubler said:
The SAAF DC-4 in action in Op Uric was most definitely an ELINT platform ........ So reference to this role as AWACS is probably airborne command terminology confusion in the ARE [Acronym Rich Environment].

AG I think has hit the nail on the head IMHO.

Nice links, great read. Thanks.

Thought as much. Boo hoo. A much abused acronym is AWACS.

Interesting book all the same, as I've worked with lots of chaps who were involved and their tales are always entertaining, if taken with a pinch of salt.

Thanks for the links Abe.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom