JAZZ

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
What information is out there concerning the buster - hypervolocity AT missile that was being considered by saab a few years back? Only illustration I have is attached -

Attachments

• SWED- Bofors Buster.jpg
    SWED- Bofors Buster.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 367
I saw that in an issue of Popular Mechanics couple of years back. I too wonder what ever happened to it? Did predate LOSAT?

From Bofors 350 (1996). Text below first image doesn't say anything important except 8 missiles ready. Its a CV90 chassis for those wondering.

Translation of second image:
BUSTER is the working name of the next generation anti-tank missile system, which Bofors, on behalf of FMV, have studied since 1987. The study work shall clarify what possibilities exist in fifteen years' time to increase performance, so that sufficient effect is obtained against future tanks.

BUSTER is a system which uses a high-velocity missile. Effect is achieved through a dart shaped warhead made of heavy metal which penetrates tank armor through high kinetic energy. Kinetic energy means great speed in combination with high weight on the penetrator. High demands on both penetration ability and range mean that the missile must have a velocity in the trajectory of more than 2000 meters per second.

In the years 1990-1992, feasibility studies were carried out to find out the conditions for achieving sufficient speed. Ongoing studies are focused on the beam riding link to the missile as well as on questions concerning the missile's control and aerodynamics. In addition, various platform arrangements on ground vehicles and helicopters are studied.

Attachments

• Buster 2.png
    Buster 2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
  • Buster 1.png
    Buster 1.png
    647.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
And here I thought this was about the Saab 900 pulverized by my neighbor’s black 1969 Cadillac Sedan…

Back
Top Bottom