Russian Little Known Helicopters

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Do you know that designer ? Gashulyak,Yaroslav

his name isn't mention in the book THE OSPREY ENCYCLOPEDIA OF
RUSSIAN AIRCRAFT 1875-1995.

He designed and built the G-1 a single seat helicopter, which powered
by Irbit two-cylinder motor-cycle engine in spring of 1961.

Last edited:
Hi,

here is anther little know Russian helicopter,and from google translate;

Helicopter V. Getmantsev. In 1969 in Kuibyshev, V. Getmantsev began to design a helicopter (fig.) Of a pine scheme with two three-bladed bearing screws, which was built in 1971.
Two-cylinder two-stroke air-cooled engine of its own design with a reducer and a column of coaxial rotors were made in the form of a separate unit, which was hinged to the frame of the helicopter over the back of the pilot's seat (above its head). The gasoline tank of the ring form was installed on a column of rotors above the engine.
Two control knobs were rigidly attached to the engine. Deviation of them to the right-left, forward and backward control of the helicopter. At the ends of the control knobs, a rotary engine speed control knob and a clutch lever were installed. To the control knobs, in addition, the curved radial windshield of the open cockpit of the pilot was attached.

http://www.reaa.ru/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1171058178/504

Attachments

• getman.jpg
    getman.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 828
Hi Hesham :D
Sorry, but cannot help on the Gushalak heli. Here is a somewhat better picture of the Germantzev heli.
Please also see: http://www.reaa.ru/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?action=print;num=1311180699
If anyone has plans to visit Russia, I will not mind if you bring a copy of that book for me ::)

Thank you my dear Walter,

and here is an individual helicopter from ILA.

https://military.wikireading.ru/55803

Attachments

• pic_52.jpg
    pic_52.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 598
  • 281047_5_pic_50.jpg
    281047_5_pic_50.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 578
Hi,

A personal copter from Mr. Vorogushin Vladimir Alexandrovich.

http://www.reaa.ru/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1257883664/30

Attachments

• Vorogushin Vladimir Alexandrovich.jpg
    Vorogushin Vladimir Alexandrovich.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 532
  • scan10041.jpg
    scan10041.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 170
What was this ?;

http://www.reaa.ru/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1171058178/all

Attachments

• Photo0065.jpg
    Photo0065.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 194
hesham said:
What was this ?;

This is a homebuilt helicopter, probably unnamed, built by reaa.ru forum member Dim64 and his teammates in Saratov. In February 2008 (when these replies were posted on the forum) it was still uncompleted, and the authors tried to sell it to some other helicopter enthusiast(s). It was powered by two 30-hp Vikhr' (Whirlwind in Russian) engines (it is an outboard motor for boats, initially, but it's a popular powerplant for ultralight homebuilt aircraft in Russia) which are working for a common shaft. It was still unclear if such a powerplant powerful enough to take the helicopter into air or not. Empty weight of the helicopter was 210 kg. That's all I can say.

hesham said:
Do you know that designer ? Gashulyak,Yaroslav

his name isn't mention in the book THE OSPREY ENCYCLOPEDIA OF
RUSSIAN AIRCRAFT 1875-1995.

he designed and built the G-1 a single seat helicopter, which powered
by Irbit two-cylinder motor-cycle enige in spring of 1961.

And from JAWA 1963.

Attachments

• h.png
    h.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 192
here is anther little know Russian helicopter,and from google translate;

Helicopter V. Getmantsev. In 1969 in Kuibyshev, V. Getmantsev began to design a helicopter (fig.) Of a pine scheme with two three-bladed bearing screws, which was built in 1971.
Two-cylinder two-stroke air-cooled engine of its own design with a reducer and a column of coaxial rotors were made in the form of a separate unit, which was hinged to the frame of the helicopter over the back of the pilot's seat (above its head). The gasoline tank of the ring form was installed on a column of rotors above the engine.
Two control knobs were rigidly attached to the engine. Deviation of them to the right-left, forward and backward control of the helicopter. At the ends of the control knobs, a rotary engine speed control knob and a clutch lever were installed. To the control knobs, in addition, the curved radial windshield of the open cockpit of the pilot was attached.

From JAWA 1973-1974,

there was also a Sverchok-1.

Attachments

• 14.png
    14.png
    274.9 KB · Views: 144
From Sailplane and Glider 9/1952,

I can't ID this Russian helicopter,they called it Smolenske,but I don't know if that was the designer or what ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    188.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 2.png
    2.png
    385.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 3.png
    3.png
    345.6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
From Sailplane and Glider 9/1952,

I can't ID this Russian helicopter,they called it Smolenske,but I don't know if that was the designer
or what ?.

From Aviation magazine 1956,

I can't translate well,so what was the designer name ?.

Attachments

• Smolensk.png
    Smolensk.png
    850.2 KB · Views: 116
The text says "the engineer from Moscow named M.A. Kupfer". The title spells it "Kaupfer".
I don't which is a typo, but Kupfer is the German word for copper, found in many names.

The text says "the engineer from Moscow named M.A. Kupfer". The title spells it "Kaupfer".
I don't which is a typo, but Kupfer is the German word for copper, found in many names.

My dear Dan,and what was Smolensk ?.

Smolensk is the name of the machine designed by Mr Kupfer/Kaupfer. It is an "elementary helicopter trainer without an engine", which is the point of the competition set up by Lt-general Karnanine, for the cheap elementary training of heli pilots.
Don't ask me how it works, it doesn't make sense to me, especially when looking at the drawing. But obviously it did for MMsrs Karnanine, Kupfer and the other nameless participant.

I think the idea is that it's an autogyro. The jeep tows the 'gyro along the ground with the first rope, while the second rope, attached to the ground, spins up the rotor, allowing the 'gyro to take off. I'm not sure if the 'gyro is able to cast off and fly free or not, perhaps someone can translate the article ?

cheers,
Robin.

From Aviation magazine 1959,

here is a small helicopter,designed by Starinine,Serebsov and Braginski ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    474.1 KB · Views: 99
Please find some details on this light helicopter. The spelling of the names of the 3 designers/builders may vary with the source.
single-seat helicopter
one 22lb PVRD M-1 pulse jet engine
rotor diameter 22.965ft; length 14.763ft; height 5.906ft
DETAILS: The SBIG M1 small experimental helicopter design was attributed to Messrs. J.L. Starinina, Zerebcova and J.S. Braginsky, reportedly all engineers with the Bratukhin OKB. The aircraft had one 22lb PVRD M-1 pulse jet at one of the the rotor blade tips and it appeared around 1950. Reportedly the M-1 was used for tethered trials and in 1951 all work was halted.
Production: 1.

Attachments

• Starinina, Zerebcova, Braginsky M-1.jpg
    Starinina, Zerebcova, Braginsky M-1.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 107
From Kryl'ya Rodine 9/2021,

a Project for Mr. Yuriev of 1952.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    700.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 2.png
    2.png
    722.1 KB · Views: 132
From Kryl'ya Rodine 9/2021,

a Project for Mr. Yuriev of 1952.
The drawings' captions read in Russian 'electrovertalyot' that literally means 'electrohelicopter'. It may suggest the helicopter was to be electric-driven.
From Kryl'ya Rodine 7-8/2022,

the GEM-7 helicopter.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1,002.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1 MB · Views: 91
From Interavia 1960,

who heard about Boris Aunap helicopter ?.

Attachments

• 24-1.png
    24-1.png
    92.1 KB · Views: 51
From Kryl'ya Rodine 7-8/2022,

the GEM-7 helicopter.
The 4 page article featured in Krilya Rodiny 2022-07-08 focuses on the pioneering rotorcraft electric propulsion units developed by A.G. Iosifyan between 1933 and 1951. Iosifyan's work involved the design and testing of several experimental helicopters although whether they were models or full-size is not noted. The design and evaluation work was halted in 1941 due to the war.

In 1947 his work resumed at NII-627 on electric helicopters. The same year he submitted a report entitled "Electric propulsion of aircraft" to the ATK of the Soviet Air Force. After review, it was decided to include the NII-627 Iosifyan scientific plan on the electric transmissions for aircraft in that years’ work schedule. Part of the work was to gain experience in designing generators and electric motors alongside switching equipment for electric helicopter transmissions. Another benefit of undertaking the project was the study of the operation of auto-stabilisation and controls of a multi-rotor helicopter following Professor Iosifyan guidelines.

This led to a proposed multi-rotor helicopter of 10-15 tons (!) with an electric transmission. In 1948 a preliminary design proof of concept (GEM-7) was completed as shown in HESHAM's earlier post at reply #27. The design had a conventional AI-14 engine along with an electric propulsion unit.

This smaller design was a fixed rig with the following details:

Length: 4.925 m

Span: 12.70 m

Height: 3.82

Track: 4.0 m

Stand Weight: 860 kg

Rotor Diameter 3.8 m

Ground Engine: AI-14P

Electric Engine: SG-210

Work on this type of helicopter continued until 1951.

The KR article features a handful of photos of the GEM-7 along with the view posted in reply #27.

Is A. G. Iosifyan the same person as Andranik Gevondovich Iosifyan who was a Soviet engineer in the field of electronics and later moving towards working on aeronautics before becoming one of the founders of Soviet missile development and cosmonautics?.

Source: Kryl'ya Rodine 7-8/2022 pages 106-109

From Aeroplane 1955,

what was this Lar-3 helicopter,which could accommodated 16 passenger
of 1952 ?,we know only Mil Mi-4 Hound,and it was mentioned below !.

Attachments

• 14.png
    14.png
    300.1 KB · Views: 33
I think those data on Russian helicopter form that paper are highly mistaken - this is normal in such old publication as they were kind of behind the wall after the WW2. For example as Mi-2 is said that it is similar to Bristol 171 - at that time Mil had only one helicopter of such design with radial engine - the Mi-1 -powered by AI-26, not Ash-21
Mi-4 is stated to use two Ash-62 but named Horse - so it is clearly mistaken with Yakovlev Yak-24 - this one was constructed from bits of two Mi-4. So the helicopter you asked for is most likely the Mi-4.

Has anybody seen that:
299oai45f1celmkf0s.jpg

It has word "Pioneer" (in cyrylic) written on its tail. This is most likely just a mock-up or a decoration for this hall which has similar name. Photo originates in early 1960's. There is two more available.

What was this ?.

Attachments

• (138).jpg
    (138).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 32
Many thanks tro you my dear Persil,

and also who can ID this one ?.

Attachments

• bb.jpg
    bb.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 33
Also what is this ?.