• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Russian 6th Generation Hypersonic Fighter

bobbymike

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/russias-6th-generation-stealth-fighter-will-be-hypersonic-16528

Moscow is designing its sixth-generation airframe to be capable of hypersonic speeds. “It will be hypersonic at several Mach, single-seat, invisible to the enemy, super-maneuverable, multifunctional and made of composite materials,” Mikhailov said. “The aircraft will have a cockpit, but will be able to fly with both a pilot and without a pilot. That is, it will combine a manned and unmanned variant.”

Firefox?

flateric

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
High-Quality-Weed.jpg

lucinator

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Of course this is all propaganda since the Russians aren't stupid when it comes to aeronautics. They know as well as we do that very fast and stealthy don't mix. They better than everybody except maybe the Chinese that when you have a fast aircraft it can have all the RCS reduction imaginable(Blackbird Family is a good example) and still show up on radar cause your hot exhaust shows up on Radar. So if you want to go double that speed, that exhaust plume is gonna be even bigger.

M

Mike1158

A heat source will not show up on radar, only on heat (infra red) sensors. Rather like a radar guided missile cannot be used in the same manner, you need a sidewinder infra red style.

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, the exhaust plume itself can be detectable on radar when its very hot, which it will be for a hypersonic vehicle. This was seen on the SR-71.

M

Mike1158

So they are sensitive enough to detect the different mass of the hot air, blimey, some sensitivity there. Thanks for the lesson, learned something new today.

malipa

TU Delft AE student
Reaction score
Well it's not the difference of mass... It would be the difference in pressure created by heat... But that is not what the radars pick up. The gas gets heated up to such extreme temperatures and then it starts releasing it's energy (from heat) in the form of electromagnetic radiation in the radar frequency domain.

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
No, the exhaust plume itself can be detectable on radar when its very hot, which it will be for a hypersonic vehicle. This was seen on the SR-71.

There are even a few pics out there of a full scale Blackbird model on a pole for RCS testing and the model has exhaust plumes on it.

lucinator

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Also as far as I can tell from my research through the archives at the museum where i work and picking the brains of my co-workers Kelly Johnson was never able to figure out how to make those exhaust plumes invisible to radar and from the aeronautical engineers who I work with also don't think that it is possible with today's tech.