Northrop Grumman "RQ-180"

I wonder if that recent NG advert that many have assumped was representing their bomber entry might in fact have been a drone under the sheet. After all a drone still has a pilot even though they are remote from it.

Would they be that cheeky to put the RQ-180 in it? :eek:

Thing under wraps doesn't fit long endurance ISR solution by any means.

Makes that Airforce magazine article even more mysterious as to exactly where the quotes in it originated from.

Attachments

• NGC CMMS.jpg
    NGC CMMS.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 720
Ah!

tumblr_m7ucr23kwI1r0ralmo1_500.gif

Who flies it?

Where is it based?

Where has it been deployed?

Not a source maybe some think much of on here, but they might have dug up something here?

Flyaway said:
Not a source maybe some think much of on here, but they might have dug up something here?

AFSP.

If it was the RQ-170 would they really need to redact it as an acknowledged airframe?

Flyaway said:
If it was the RQ-170 would they really need to redact it as an acknowledged airframe?

They do not always talk in terms of airplanes, often it is capabilities. And yes, they have redacted "acknowledged" things in the past.

quellish said:
Flyaway said:

http://warisboring.com/articles/there-is-a-secret-u-s-spy-plane-flying-over-the-pacific/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+WarIsBoring+%28War+Is+Boring%29

AFSP.

Air Force Special Platform?

lowchi said:
quellish said:
Flyaway said:

AFSP.

Air Force Special Platform?

I think so (reply #22)
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19149.0.html

quellish said:
Who flies it?

Where is it based?

USAF and British RAF mixed aircrews that have B2 experience.

Korea, Cyprus (Akrotiri) (Reason why there was such a flap when Russia parked its ships off the coast, and why journalists covering the migrant crisis were forbidden from being on bases and roaming before sun rise) and US U2 bases State side.

Korea, Syria, Iran

lowchi said:
I assume you dont think its operational yet?

I have found nothing to indicate it exists at all.

lowchi said:
Why would they redact a platform that is more than a half century old?

The aircraft is, the capability is not.
Some configurations are sensitive and subject to different disclosure rules. This has happened before.

Ian33 said:
quellish said:
Who flies it?

Where is it based?

Cyprus (Akrotiri) (Reason why there was such a flap when Russia parked its ships off the coast, and why journalists covering the migrant crisis were forbidden from being on bases and roaming before sun rise)

Hey Ian33, do you have a source for that?

quellish said:
lowchi said:

Some configurations are sensitive and subject to different disclosure rules. This has happened before.

hmmm... makes sense.

quellish said:
lowchi said:

But the U-2 is already listed seperately in that list, why would you list it a second time under a different title just because of the capability?

lowchi said:
quellish said:
lowchi said:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,20900.msg223807.html#msg223807

But they admit it exists (sort of). Please correct me if i overlooked something

Gen. Otto stated that the USAF was "working on it", not that some sort of operational platform actually exists and has been deployed. It could be in the requirements phase to some degree based on his statements. There has been nothing to indicate that this is some sort of operational system that has been built and deployed. I'm not saying that it dosen't exist, but any assertion that it is out there right now is purely speculative.

lowchi said:
Ian33 said:
quellish said:
Who flies it?

Where is it based?

Cyprus (Akrotiri) (Reason why there was such a flap when Russia parked its ships off the coast, and why journalists covering the migrant crisis were forbidden from being on bases and roaming before sun rise)

Hey Ian33, do you have a source for that?

Pure conjecture.

lowchi said:
quellish said:
lowchi said:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,20900.msg223807.html#msg223807

But they admit it exists (sort of). Please correct me if i overlooked something

I think it more likely exists than not but that is admittedly going off one mention in one article by one senior Air Force official, so make of that you will.

Mind you I am sure I read an article recently implying it may have been axed on cost grounds?

Ian33 said:
quellish said:
Who flies it?

Where is it based?

USAF and British RAF mixed aircrews that have B2 experience.

Korea, Cyprus (Akrotiri) (Reason why there was such a flap when Russia parked its ships off the coast, and why journalists covering the migrant crisis were forbidden from being on bases and roaming before sun rise) and US U2 bases State side.

Korea, Syria, Iran

Aircrews with B2 experience would be tasked with flying an unmanned, high-altitude reconnaissance platform? Am I missing something here?

Flyaway said:
quellish said:
lowchi said:

But the U-2 is already listed seperately in that list, why would you list it a second time under a different title just because of the capability?

Again - it's the capability and the configuration. A U-2 airframe carrying certain sensors or optics becomes the AFSP.

xstatic3000 said:
Aircrews with B2 experience would be tasked with flying an unmanned, high-altitude reconnaissance platform? Am I missing something here?

RAF aircrews with experience flying very expensive, highly secret-sauce USAF airframes could be more apt. I want to know more about these restricted journalists on Cyprus - sources?

The folks at Dreamland Resort had these pictures posted for a while, but they reminded me of the RQ-180 configuration so I thought I would show them here to see what thoughts anyone had on them. The person who took the picture said that the aircraft was sized with a wingspan of B747, was quiet with a low pitch rumble that was uncharacteristic of an aircraft.
If these are real RQ-180, then the aircraft, at least in prototype form, has already been flying.
PS: Not a Polecat due to the cranked arrow leading edge.

Attachments

• FlyingWing1.jpg
    FlyingWing1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 494
  • FlyingWing2.jpg
    FlyingWing2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 483
Thanks Flateric...I thought it might be too good to be true ::)

Don't you think it look like the Northrop tease video of the Hangar the plane Under wraps ?

More relevant are the rumours something new has moved into the Edwards South Base, maybe this?