Royal Hellenic Navy Ship Projects

If you are into unbuilt battleships in 1914 the Greeks were discussing with Britain 1 or 2 15in battleships. The Coventry syndicate bids on the contract can be found in Friedman, though from Fotakis "Greek Naval Strategy and Policy 1910-19" the Greeks would had probably gone for a Queen Elizabeth clone 8nstead of the Coventry designs. I'd guess with the 140mm secondaries used in Hood, after all that had originally been designed for Greek cruisers.

If you are into unbuilt battleships in 1914 the Greeks were discussing with Britain 1 or 2 15in battleships. The Coventry syndicate bids on the contract can be found in Friedman, though from Fotakis "Greek Naval Strategy and Policy 1910-19" the Greeks would had probably gone for a Queen Elizabeth clone 8nstead of the Coventry designs. I'd guess with the 140mm secondaries used in Hood, after all that had originally been designed for Greek cruisers.

As far as i know, directed by Admiral Kavvadias book, the Greek naval expansion plan projected 2 Improved Queen Elizabeth class battelships. 2 modified Bretange class battleships and 3 Salamis class fast battleships-battlecruisers. All these together with plus one Pisa class armored cruisers and a number of lighter ships(cruisers, destroyers, torpedo boats, submarines, torpedo gunboats etc).

As far as i know, directed by Admiral Kavvadias book, the Greek naval expansion plan projected 2 Improved Queen Elizabeth class battelships. 2 modified Bretange class battleships and 3 Salamis class fast battleships-battlecruisers. All these together with plus one Pisa class armored cruisers and a number of lighter ships(cruisers, destroyers, torpedo boats, submarines, torpedo gunboats etc).
I short of suspect from which publication you got this but Kavvadias actual text is the one below, on how the fleet would had looked in 1917. The 3 ahead of Salamis does not mean 3 battleships of the type, it means the third battleship, overall. For Lorraine there were thoughts of a second ship yes, but they were superseded by the plans to go for Queen Elizabeths. After all Greece was not very happy even with ordering the single Lorraine, they were pressured into it between the need to secure a French loan of 500 million franks and not managing to secure either Lattore or one of the Rivadavias. Even then they initially proposed to the French building a second Salamis which on French pressure and promises of delivery within 27 months and improvements over the French ships became the Lorraine actually ordered.

1665864460248.png

Attachments

• 1665863615633.png
    1665863615633.png
    100.1 KB · Views: 88

I short of suspect from which publication you got this but Kavvadias actual text is the one below, on how the fleet would had looked in 1917. The 3 ahead of Salamis does not mean 3 battleships of the type, it means the third battleship, overall. For Lorraine there were thoughts of a second ship yes, but they were superseded by the plans to go for Queen Elizabeths. After all Greece was not very happy even with ordering the single Lorraine, they were pressured into it between the need to secure a French loan of 500 million franks and not managing to secure either Lattore or one of the Rivadavias. Even then they initially proposed to the French building a second Salamis which on French pressure and promises of delivery within 27 months and improvements over the French ships became the Lorraine actually ordered.

View attachment 685610
Oh! Great misunderstanding from my point of view, i apologise for my mistake. Thanks!!!

Lascaris,

Could you provide me a full picture of the planned Royal Hellenic Navy through 20'-30'-40's based on the already knew and the estimated follow-on acquisitions?

Thanks in advance!!!

Todd Shipbuilding's offer against the MEKO 200, Lupo and modernised Leander offered to Greece.
The MEKO 200HN of course was the winner.

Attachments

• Todd Superior Frigate for Greece Data.png
    Todd Superior Frigate for Greece Data.png
    392.7 KB · Views: 95
Todd Shipbuilding's offer against the MEKO 200, Lupo and modernised Leander offered to Greece.
The MEKO 200HN of course was the winner.
Karel Doorman was also a contender for that one, apparently in the end it was a choice between it and the Mekos actually bought with many in the navy preffering it over the Mekos, the pair of Kortenaers the Greeks had bought on the slips back in 1980 were already in service and the fleet was very happy with them.

Which makes a short of interesting what if. Of course it could not be expected at the time that by the early 2000 the RLMN would be shedding off most its frigates, but had Doorman been chosen it makes complete sense for the Greeks to buy in place of the last 4 Kortenaers they bought M class frigates instead. For added fun the HN specs for a new frigate at the time were virtually photographing De Zeven Provincien, they would be loosened afterwards to allow inclusion of the FREMM the new government wanted...

I have also found some info regarding the two destroyers (torpedo boats) that were purchased by Greece from Germany before WW1 but never delivered to the Hellenic Navy (S35 and S36):