Romanian anti-ship missile - NN-86

lancer21

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
These two images of NN-86 (other designation mentioned is MM-241) mock-up surfaced on the www, first ones i think. Not alot of info available (not to me anyway), except from posters on Rumania Military blog. Basically, in the eighties they wanted to replace the Styx with something indigenous. NN-86 has Styx roots as you can see, but with a jet engine, said to be the same or similar ( copied?) from the VR-3 UAV. No idea of any other characteristics, but likely it would have greater range than Styx. Was suposed to equip among others a locally produced version of Osa-1, one ship was already built, hull number 199.

There is also rumour of a cruise missile project that was supposed to use the same VR-3 engine, but it's not clear if it was confused with NN-86, it's derived from it, or might be a completely different project altogether.

The 1989 revolution stopped all this work.

Attachments

• P1120547.JPG
    P1120547.JPG
    304.6 KB · Views: 453
  • P1120548.JPG
    P1120548.JPG
    296.4 KB · Views: 401
Very interestingly (to me at least) is to find that China played with a similar concept, i.e. a Styx with a turbojet engine, like the HY-4, although it seems to have a ventral intake. Also the iranians made their Raad version of same. Wonder if there's any connection between the 3, especially as romanian-chinese relations in the seventies eighties were very good, and there's rumour of some big contract with Iran under negotiation in 1989 including among others IAR-93 CAS aircraft (with local assembly!), tanks and possibly other items.

intresting, I didn't knew about this one. Was there any mock-ups/concept of the launcher it was going to use, or was the Termit (Styx) hangars intended? It also appears not to have folded wings of the later variations.

I don't have any more information than above unfortunately. Judging by the configuration, imo i think it would have been launched same as Styx (with boosters) and would have probably been interchangeable.

Back
Top Bottom