Re: 1/60 scale Rockwell International B-1B

Triton said:
Orionblamblam said:
No pictures?
Isn't it beyond the scope of this forum since the project was built? I thought that the model was too nice to ignore.

And after the auction is over, nobody will ever be able to know what it looked like, since there are no pictures of it on this thread. If it's too nice to ignore *today,* it's too nice to ignore six months from now.

Re: 1/60 scale Rockwell International B-1B

Here's the pics - nice model... Mark

Attachments

• rock4.jpg
    rock4.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 439
  • rock3.jpg
    rock3.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 85
  • rock2.jpg
    rock2.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 82
  • rock1.jpg
    rock1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 84
  • rock8.jpg
    rock8.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 406
  • rock7.jpg
    rock7.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 402
  • rock6.jpg
    rock6.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 402
  • rock5.jpg
    rock5.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 404
Roland B-1B model

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ROLAND-USAF-ROCKWELL-B-1-DESK-TOP-DISPLAY-FACTORY-MODEL-PLANE-AIRPLANE-/230718924845?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b7eb682d

Seller's description:
RARE & VINTAGE 1972 ROLAND PLASTICS INC. USAF ROCKWELL INTERNATIONAL B-1 LANCER ENGINEER FACTORY PROMOTIONAL DESKTOP DISPLAY ADJUSTABLE WING MODEL AIRPLANE WITH STAND VIA FORMER USAF GENERAL CURTIS LEMAY SUPREME COMMANDER OF SAC.

eBay Auction Description:

This auction is for a RARE & VINTAGE 1972 ROLAND PLASTICS INC. USAF ROCKWELL INTERNATIONAL B-1 LANCER ENGINEER FACTORY PROMOTIONAL DESKTOP DISPLAY ADJUSTABLE WING MODEL AIRPLANE WITH STAND VIA FORMER USAF GENERAL CURTIS LEMAY SUPREME COMMANDER OF SAC. This rare one piece model is made of hard injected molded plastic and resin composite type materials. The model airplane itself measures approximately 15.00" long x 8.00" to 13.00" wingspan (varies) x 3.00" tall. The original hard acrylic plastic and metal stand measure approximately 6.50" long x 4.50" wide x 6.00" tall. The model's wings can be adjusted into various positions. Also, the model can be adjusted and rotated into various positions, while connected to the original factory stand.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJ,!osE63YPzdvHBO7QGc4J)Q~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqJ,!osE63YPzdvHBO7QGc4J)Q~~60_3.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 61
  • $(KGrHqR,!lYE65OIvfE7BO7QGYFZ8!~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqR,!lYE65OIvfE7BO7QGYFZ8!~~60_3.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 61
  • $(KGrHqF,!o8E63YcC(sRBO7QGVQDC!~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqF,!o8E63YcC(sRBO7QGVQDC!~~60_3.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 57
  • $(KGrHqJ,!iYE7S(u0t5SBO7QGPwJ3g~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqJ,!iYE7S(u0t5SBO7QGPwJ3g~~60_3.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 75
  • $(KGrHqZ,!nsE63V3Y3VvBO7QGPFdbQ~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqZ,!nsE63V3Y3VvBO7QGPFdbQ~~60_3.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 71
  • $(KGrHqN,!o0E63YVtuPZBO7QGO8-s!~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqN,!o0E63YVtuPZBO7QGO8-s!~~60_3.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 66
  • $(KGrHqZ,!okE63(r2r(FBO7QGIR28Q~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqZ,!okE63(r2r(FBO7QGIR28Q~~60_3.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 70
  • $(KGrHqN,!oME63(Z)IiNBO7QGFpuqw~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqN,!oME63(Z)IiNBO7QGFpuqw~~60_3.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 69

Attachments

• $(KGrHqF,!psE63ZjQgDmBO7QGjdG8w~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqF,!psE63ZjQgDmBO7QGjdG8w~~60_3.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 44
  • $(KGrHqN,!icE7BKuq5fDBO7QGfG)EQ~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqN,!icE7BKuq5fDBO7QGfG)EQ~~60_3.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 52
  • $(KGrHqF,!pkE7BcvgGFNBO7QGeQcq!~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqF,!pkE7BcvgGFNBO7QGeQcq!~~60_3.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 82
The B-1B Low Level Bomber (1985)

United States Air Force (USAF) documentary that gives an overview of the B-1B low level bomber and the plans to employ 100 of these bombers by the Strategic Air Command. The film also gives a brief explanation of the need for this and other bombers that have been deployed or proposed by the USAF, testing of the B1-A bomber in the 1970's and improvements to the design to create the B1-B. Weapons capabilities are also discussed.

View: http://youtu.be/r5QDmMFhipM

B-1B Lancer celebrates 30 years of service

Published on Apr 30, 2015

The B-1B Lancer – one of the most versatile, combat proven warplanes in U.S. history is 30 years old and going strong. The first one was delivered to the Air Force at Dyess Air Force Base in Texas in 1985 and over the years, the B-1 has changed with the times to meet the needs of the military.

View: https://youtu.be/c1Nkz5mR43M

Has the B-1 ever been named "Excalibur"? I could swear I saw somewhere that the B-1A was named that but have never been able to track it down. Trying to find the source of this "memory".

Yeah, I saw that page but I think that's one of those "Alternate History" scenarios.

sferrin said:
Has the B-1 ever been named "Excalibur"? I could swear I saw somewhere that the B-1A was named that but have never been able to track it down. Trying to find the source of this "memory".

Nope. Never. You're imagining it. Time to pack it in, off to the funny farm.

Attachments

• 1698.jpg
    1698.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 132
Was it ever official or was that just an informal name before it was cancelled?

sferrin said:

Here's Robert Dorr's take, but it seems to match my recollection from long ago. Of course, for all the Air Force's concerns about conflation with a condom brand and avoidance of potential sexual context to the aircraft's name could not overcome the plane's designation as "The B-ONE". . ;D

Approaching a Key Anniversary, the B-1B Redeems Itself in Afghanistan

By Robert F. Dorr - March 11, 2010

. . .The Air Force wanted to name the B-1B the Excalibur, until learning that this was a popular brand of condom, and finally settled on the name Lancer, which aircrews don’t like and don’t use. . .

I wonder if the name "Excalibur" is remembered because some technothriller writer was calling it that...maybe Dale Brown? Because I know I remember it from fiction as well, and I was a little bummed out that the Air Force had decided to call it "Lancer" instead.

Boxman said:
Here's Robert Dorr's take, but it seems to match my recollection from long ago. Of course, for all the Air Force's concerns about conflation with a condom brand and avoidance of potential sexual context to the aircraft's name could not overcome the plane's designation as "The B-ONE". . ;D

Didn't stop them from blessing the F/A-18G with a very unfortunate name. ;D

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh. These days, when you say growler, most people think of this:

growler%20beer.jpg

B-1B should take on an albeit "Dale Brown" role and house air launched THAADs or Patriots.

bobbymike said:
http://defense-update.com/20150506_sabr_gs_radar_for_b1b.html#.VUr5Kmd0ysc

B-1B should take on an albeit "Dale Brown" role and house air launched THAADs or Patriots.

They'd need to either remove the bulkhead separating the two forward bays or reenable the external hard points.

sferrin said:
bobbymike said:
http://defense-update.com/20150506_sabr_gs_radar_for_b1b.html#.VUr5Kmd0ysc

They'd need to either remove the bulkhead separating the two forward bays or reenable the external hard points.

I have been a broken record on a couple of threads about air or sea based 'arsenal ships' large platforms able to accommodate a large missile load out far exceeding today's, in this case, aircraft. I've mentioned 'stealthy' BWB as a platform able to accomplish this but what are the odds of another new aircraft program in this budget environment. That said the B-1B has the ability to fulfill this 'dream/fantasy' of mine as well, although the recent report by the CBSA on future air superiority 'somewhat' endorses the idea of very deep magazines for air superiority so 'not a dream'. :eek:

Northrup introduces a SABR AESA radar upgrade for the B-1.

Northrop Grumman Unveils the Scalable Agile Beam Radar -- Global Strike for the B-1B Bomber
SABR-GS brings the precision and reliability of AESA to the B-1B fleet

LINTHICUM, Md. – May 6, 2015 – Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) introduced its Scalable Agile Beam Radar – Global Strike (SABR-GS) for the U.S. Air Force's B-1B Lancer at the 30th Anniversary B-1 Reunion held at Dyess Air Force Base, Texas.

Northrop Grumman's SABR-GS is a full performance, multi-function, active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar for the B-1. Developed as an affordable, low risk radar retrofit solution, SABR-GS offers advanced operational capabilities and greater system reliability than the legacy passive ESA. Large synthetic aperture radar maps, advanced image processing and sensor integration provide a significant advantage in situational awareness and give the B-1 powerful new capabilities for intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance and targeting. Open architecture standards have been used to integrate data from other onboard sensors, enabling continued innovation and affordability for the life of the system.

As a derivative of the AN/APG-83 SABR, SABR-GS takes advantage of hardware, legacy modes and advanced operating modes proven on the F-35, F-22 and F-16 aircraft. Nearly three times the size of the F-16 SABR system, SABR-GS offers unprecedented target area detail and digital maps under all weather conditions.

"By developing SABR-GS, we've enabled capabilities now critical to the mission – a significant milestone for SABR technology and the B-1," said Paul Kalafos, vice president, surveillance systems business unit, Northrop Grumman. "By leveraging the successes of the SABR for the F-16 fighter, we have activated cost savings for the U.S. Air Force's B-1 program, proven that SABR AESA technology is scalable and extended the survivability of the aircraft for the next 25 years."

The development of SABR-GS took place under a $21 million risk reduction contract awarded in 2011 by the Air Force B-1 Systems Program Office. Northrop Grumman has demonstrated in flight, the advanced B-1 AESA and advanced sensor and fusion processing, readying the radar for the engineering, manufacturing and development phase.

The completion of this contract follows the successful Radar Modernization Improvement Program (RMIP), in which Northrop Grumman modernized the radar receivers and processors of the B-1. SABR-GS will replace the APQ-164 radar antenna currently deployed on all B-1 bombers.

Northrop Grumman is a leading global security company providing innovative systems, products and solutions in unmanned systems, cyber, C4ISR, and logistics and modernization to government and commercial customers worldwide. Please visit www.northropgrumman.com for more information.

http://www.globenewswire.com/newsarchive/noc/press/pages/news_releases.html?d=10133106

SpudmanWP said:

Nearly three times the size of the F-16 SABR system, SABR-GS offers unprecedented target area detail and digital maps under all weather conditions.

So that puts the baseline SABR in the 500+ T/R module range. Did we know that?

marauder2048 said:
SpudmanWP said:

Nearly three times the size of the F-16 SABR system, SABR-GS offers unprecedented target area detail and digital maps under all weather conditions.

Where did you see 1500+ for the SABR-GS in that article? ???

sferrin said:
marauder2048 said:
SpudmanWP said:

Where did you see 1500+ for the SABR-GS in that article? ???

Ah..my supposition that the T/R module count for SABR-GS approximates that of the PESA it's replacing.

sferrin said:
Are the modules the same size?

Good point. Those ferrite phase shift + radiators do look a bit bulky.

Attachments

• phase-shift-radiator.jpeg
    phase-shift-radiator.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 322
  • phase-shifters.jpeg
    phase-shifters.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 304
Are they ever going to upgrade the ECM as they had planned to earlier however?

That gear at the bottom suggests it can be rolled 180 degrees to lean back for RCS reduction when required.

It looks to be more of a side looking feature rather than an RCS feature as the back of the unit would reflect just as much and includes 90 degree reflectors (very bad).

SpudmanWP said:
It looks to be more of a side looking feature rather than an RCS feature as the back of the unit would reflect just as much and includes 90 degree reflectors (very bad).

Huh. I'd have swore the B-1B already had that feature. (The ability to tilt the array back that is.) They certainly look different.

Attachments

• APQ-1641021.jpg
    APQ-1641021.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 707
The article that has both pics states that tilting down is an RCS recuction feature.

the APQ-164 radar employs passive electronically scanned array technology with electronic beam steering, enabling the fixed antenna to be pointed downward for reduced radar observability.

SpudmanWP said:
The article that has both pics states that tilting down is an RCS recuction feature.

the APQ-164 radar employs passive electronically scanned array technology with electronic beam steering, enabling the fixed antenna to be pointed downward for reduced radar observability.

Weird. Everybody else tilts back to achieve that. I guess if you're low trying to hide from fighters it makes sense to point down.

sferrin said:
SpudmanWP said:

Huh. I'd have swore the B-1B already had that feature. (The ability to tilt the array back that is.) They certainly look different.

The B-1 uses a gimbal to control the radar..

The phased-array is an outgrowth of the antenna developed on the EAR program. It contains 1,526 phase control modules and allows virtually instantaneous beam movement to any point in the antenna field of regard. When the radar mission requires a forward, right or left region of regard, the antenna is physically movable to three different positions on a roll detent mount. The radar can, therefore, look off to either side of the aircraft or forward by rolling the antenna about an axis. The normal antenna position is looking forward. However, when the antenna is rolled to one side, the field of view extends from the aircraft nose back to about 115o, permitting a look off to the side of interest without having to change aircraft heading. Once physically moved to one of the three available positions, the antenna is locked into a detent. From the fixed spot, it can be scanned electronically ±60o in azimuth and elevation by means of a unit on the antenna called the beam-steering controller, which controls all 1,526 phase control modules.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL9-DXcr-ac

sferrin said:
That gear at the bottom suggests it can be rolled 180 degrees to lean back for RCS reduction when required.
The lack of slack in the cables suggests not. The articulation might be to mechanically correct for aircraft bank angle or to improve field of view of highly offset targets.

aim9xray said:
sferrin said:
The lack of slack in the cables suggests not. The articulation might be to mechanically correct for aircraft bank angle or to improve field of view of highly offset targets.

Given that we can't see the entire length of the cables I'd think they'd be the last thing that would indicate it's not possible.