North American Rockwell / Boeing B-1 Lancer

kitnut617 said:
Bill Walker said:
Very interesting to see the amount of fuselage flex when the nose hits the dirt.

One time when I was at the Cold Lake (Alberta) Airshow, a B-1B was being demonstrated and after whipping down the runway at very low level and wings back, it pulled up and did a barrel roll as it gained height. Sometime later at the Abbotsford (BC) Airshow I was talking to the captain of another B-1B and mentioned it to him. His response was (and pointing at his aircraft at the same time), 'that's what hot-dogging does'. He was pointing at all the wrinkles the forward end of the aircraft had ----

OTOH, a roill is an authorized maneuver in the B-1. I have seen it done multiple times (though not on the same pass), so I'm not sure why he would consider that "hot-dogging". Now in a B-52 or B-2, that's another story. Not only would it be hot-dogging, it could likely prove fatal.

I'm not encouraging overstressing airframes or putting an aircraft in danger, but he could have just as easily pointed to the wrinkles and said, "that's what landing, flying at low altitude and pressurizing the cockpit do..."

Sidenote: I've seen the same maneuver a few times, and it was quite impressive seeing that thing move and hearing the four F101's.

quellish said:
Nope. Those pylons were very specific to the ACM. The B-1 was designed to carry ALCM externally but that was never flight tested as far as I have been able to find. Only the ACM was, and that was a different configuration than was designed for the ALCM.
IIRC the ACM was designed specifically for supersonic external carriage. (Whether a B-1 could go supersonic with a bunch of them hanging off it is another matter.) With AGM-86 that option would not be in the cards.

Although not unbuilt, here is a Bone with a Sniper Pod attached to the starboard fwd hard point. The aircraft was from Dyess and was at the recent Davis Monthan air show in Tucson.

Attachments

• IMG_2885LoRes.jpg
    IMG_2885LoRes.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,688
  • IMG_2886LoRes.jpg
    IMG_2886LoRes.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,643
B-1B Lancer celebrates 30 years of service

Published on Apr 30, 2015

The B-1B Lancer – one of the most versatile, combat proven warplanes in U.S. history is 30 years old and going strong. The first one was delivered to the Air Force at Dyess Air Force Base in Texas in 1985 and over the years, the B-1 has changed with the times to meet the needs of the military.

View: https://youtu.be/c1Nkz5mR43M

Has the B-1 ever been named "Excalibur"? I could swear I saw somewhere that the B-1A was named that but have never been able to track it down. Trying to find the source of this "memory".

Yeah, I saw that page but I think that's one of those "Alternate History" scenarios.

sferrin said:
Has the B-1 ever been named "Excalibur"? I could swear I saw somewhere that the B-1A was named that but have never been able to track it down. Trying to find the source of this "memory".

Nope. Never. You're imagining it. Time to pack it in, off to the funny farm.

Attachments

• 1698.jpg
    1698.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 133
Was it ever official or was that just an informal name before it was cancelled?

sferrin said:

Here's Robert Dorr's take, but it seems to match my recollection from long ago. Of course, for all the Air Force's concerns about conflation with a condom brand and avoidance of potential sexual context to the aircraft's name could not overcome the plane's designation as "The B-ONE". . ;D

Approaching a Key Anniversary, the B-1B Redeems Itself in Afghanistan

By Robert F. Dorr - March 11, 2010

. . .The Air Force wanted to name the B-1B the Excalibur, until learning that this was a popular brand of condom, and finally settled on the name Lancer, which aircrews don’t like and don’t use. . .

I wonder if the name "Excalibur" is remembered because some technothriller writer was calling it that...maybe Dale Brown? Because I know I remember it from fiction as well, and I was a little bummed out that the Air Force had decided to call it "Lancer" instead.

Boxman said:
Here's Robert Dorr's take, but it seems to match my recollection from long ago. Of course, for all the Air Force's concerns about conflation with a condom brand and avoidance of potential sexual context to the aircraft's name could not overcome the plane's designation as "The B-ONE". . ;D

Didn't stop them from blessing the F/A-18G with a very unfortunate name. ;D

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh. These days, when you say growler, most people think of this:

growler%20beer.jpg

B-1B should take on an albeit "Dale Brown" role and house air launched THAADs or Patriots.

bobbymike said:
http://defense-update.com/20150506_sabr_gs_radar_for_b1b.html#.VUr5Kmd0ysc

B-1B should take on an albeit "Dale Brown" role and house air launched THAADs or Patriots.

They'd need to either remove the bulkhead separating the two forward bays or reenable the external hard points.

sferrin said:
bobbymike said:
http://defense-update.com/20150506_sabr_gs_radar_for_b1b.html#.VUr5Kmd0ysc

They'd need to either remove the bulkhead separating the two forward bays or reenable the external hard points.

I have been a broken record on a couple of threads about air or sea based 'arsenal ships' large platforms able to accommodate a large missile load out far exceeding today's, in this case, aircraft. I've mentioned 'stealthy' BWB as a platform able to accomplish this but what are the odds of another new aircraft program in this budget environment. That said the B-1B has the ability to fulfill this 'dream/fantasy' of mine as well, although the recent report by the CBSA on future air superiority 'somewhat' endorses the idea of very deep magazines for air superiority so 'not a dream'. :eek:

Northrup introduces a SABR AESA radar upgrade for the B-1.

Northrop Grumman Unveils the Scalable Agile Beam Radar -- Global Strike for the B-1B Bomber
SABR-GS brings the precision and reliability of AESA to the B-1B fleet

LINTHICUM, Md. – May 6, 2015 – Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) introduced its Scalable Agile Beam Radar – Global Strike (SABR-GS) for the U.S. Air Force's B-1B Lancer at the 30th Anniversary B-1 Reunion held at Dyess Air Force Base, Texas.

Northrop Grumman's SABR-GS is a full performance, multi-function, active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar for the B-1. Developed as an affordable, low risk radar retrofit solution, SABR-GS offers advanced operational capabilities and greater system reliability than the legacy passive ESA. Large synthetic aperture radar maps, advanced image processing and sensor integration provide a significant advantage in situational awareness and give the B-1 powerful new capabilities for intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance and targeting. Open architecture standards have been used to integrate data from other onboard sensors, enabling continued innovation and affordability for the life of the system.

As a derivative of the AN/APG-83 SABR, SABR-GS takes advantage of hardware, legacy modes and advanced operating modes proven on the F-35, F-22 and F-16 aircraft. Nearly three times the size of the F-16 SABR system, SABR-GS offers unprecedented target area detail and digital maps under all weather conditions.

"By developing SABR-GS, we've enabled capabilities now critical to the mission – a significant milestone for SABR technology and the B-1," said Paul Kalafos, vice president, surveillance systems business unit, Northrop Grumman. "By leveraging the successes of the SABR for the F-16 fighter, we have activated cost savings for the U.S. Air Force's B-1 program, proven that SABR AESA technology is scalable and extended the survivability of the aircraft for the next 25 years."

The development of SABR-GS took place under a $21 million risk reduction contract awarded in 2011 by the Air Force B-1 Systems Program Office. Northrop Grumman has demonstrated in flight, the advanced B-1 AESA and advanced sensor and fusion processing, readying the radar for the engineering, manufacturing and development phase.

The completion of this contract follows the successful Radar Modernization Improvement Program (RMIP), in which Northrop Grumman modernized the radar receivers and processors of the B-1. SABR-GS will replace the APQ-164 radar antenna currently deployed on all B-1 bombers.

Northrop Grumman is a leading global security company providing innovative systems, products and solutions in unmanned systems, cyber, C4ISR, and logistics and modernization to government and commercial customers worldwide. Please visit www.northropgrumman.com for more information.

http://www.globenewswire.com/newsarchive/noc/press/pages/news_releases.html?d=10133106

SpudmanWP said:

Nearly three times the size of the F-16 SABR system, SABR-GS offers unprecedented target area detail and digital maps under all weather conditions.

So that puts the baseline SABR in the 500+ T/R module range. Did we know that?

marauder2048 said:
SpudmanWP said:

Nearly three times the size of the F-16 SABR system, SABR-GS offers unprecedented target area detail and digital maps under all weather conditions.

Where did you see 1500+ for the SABR-GS in that article? ???

sferrin said:
marauder2048 said:
SpudmanWP said:

Where did you see 1500+ for the SABR-GS in that article? ???

Ah..my supposition that the T/R module count for SABR-GS approximates that of the PESA it's replacing.

sferrin said:
Are the modules the same size?

Good point. Those ferrite phase shift + radiators do look a bit bulky.

Attachments

• phase-shift-radiator.jpeg
    phase-shift-radiator.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 324
  • phase-shifters.jpeg
    phase-shifters.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 307
Are they ever going to upgrade the ECM as they had planned to earlier however?

That gear at the bottom suggests it can be rolled 180 degrees to lean back for RCS reduction when required.

It looks to be more of a side looking feature rather than an RCS feature as the back of the unit would reflect just as much and includes 90 degree reflectors (very bad).

SpudmanWP said:
It looks to be more of a side looking feature rather than an RCS feature as the back of the unit would reflect just as much and includes 90 degree reflectors (very bad).

Huh. I'd have swore the B-1B already had that feature. (The ability to tilt the array back that is.) They certainly look different.

Attachments

• APQ-1641021.jpg
    APQ-1641021.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 709
The article that has both pics states that tilting down is an RCS recuction feature.

the APQ-164 radar employs passive electronically scanned array technology with electronic beam steering, enabling the fixed antenna to be pointed downward for reduced radar observability.

SpudmanWP said:
The article that has both pics states that tilting down is an RCS recuction feature.

the APQ-164 radar employs passive electronically scanned array technology with electronic beam steering, enabling the fixed antenna to be pointed downward for reduced radar observability.

Weird. Everybody else tilts back to achieve that. I guess if you're low trying to hide from fighters it makes sense to point down.

sferrin said:
SpudmanWP said:

Huh. I'd have swore the B-1B already had that feature. (The ability to tilt the array back that is.) They certainly look different.

The B-1 uses a gimbal to control the radar..

The phased-array is an outgrowth of the antenna developed on the EAR program. It contains 1,526 phase control modules and allows virtually instantaneous beam movement to any point in the antenna field of regard. When the radar mission requires a forward, right or left region of regard, the antenna is physically movable to three different positions on a roll detent mount. The radar can, therefore, look off to either side of the aircraft or forward by rolling the antenna about an axis. The normal antenna position is looking forward. However, when the antenna is rolled to one side, the field of view extends from the aircraft nose back to about 115o, permitting a look off to the side of interest without having to change aircraft heading. Once physically moved to one of the three available positions, the antenna is locked into a detent. From the fixed spot, it can be scanned electronically ±60o in azimuth and elevation by means of a unit on the antenna called the beam-steering controller, which controls all 1,526 phase control modules.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL9-DXcr-ac

sferrin said:
That gear at the bottom suggests it can be rolled 180 degrees to lean back for RCS reduction when required.
The lack of slack in the cables suggests not. The articulation might be to mechanically correct for aircraft bank angle or to improve field of view of highly offset targets.

aim9xray said:
sferrin said:
The lack of slack in the cables suggests not. The articulation might be to mechanically correct for aircraft bank angle or to improve field of view of highly offset targets.

Given that we can't see the entire length of the cables I'd think they'd be the last thing that would indicate it's not possible.

bring_it_on said:
When the radar mission requires a forward, right or left region of regard, the antenna is physically movable to three different positions on a roll detent mount. The radar can, therefore, look off to either side of the aircraft or forward by rolling the antenna about an axis

That was exactly what I thought when I first saw that arrangement, the radar array is pointed downward and forward as you would expect from a bomber radar and the gymbal gives it the ability to rotate the array to increase the downward search area either side of the aircraft.

Also, looking at the picture of the new array it looks like if you tried to rotate the array to far it would hit the bulkhead it is attached to.

JFC Fuller said:
Also, looking at the picture of the new array it looks like if you tried to rotate the array to far it would hit the bulkhead it is attached to.

Good point. Didn't look at the angle very close.

JFC Fuller said:
bring_it_on said:
When the radar mission requires a forward, right or left region of regard, the antenna is physically movable to three different positions on a roll detent mount. The radar can, therefore, look off to either side of the aircraft or forward by rolling the antenna about an axis

That was exactly what I thought when I first saw that arrangement, the radar array is pointed downward and forward as you would expect from a bomber radar and the gymbal gives it the ability to rotate the array to increase the downward search area either side of the aircraft.

Bring it on, good find.

The LOA gimbals to increase the FOV to the sides. When gimbaled to the side the FOV actually extends behind the 3-9 line.

Boeing Exploring Enhanced Close-Air-Support Capabilities For B-1
Helmet demo slated for the fall

B-1 Lancer manufacturer Boeing is investing in research to support a slate of potential upgrades that would enhance the platform's ability to perform an increasing load of close-air-support missions.

The bomber has in recent years taken on a greater portion of CAS missions, particularly as part of ongoing operations in the Middle East. According to Boeing's director of B-1 advanced programs, Dan Ruder, the platform is due for a series of upgrades to help support that broadening mission set. In an Aug. 11 interview, Ruder said the company is investing in enhancements to the B-1's helmet and weapons carriage options.

B-1 pilots and crewmembers currently operate with a standard helmet that does not feature a heads-up display or cueing system. Ruder said that as he talks to pilots returning from forward operating locations, he consistently hears of the challenges associated with pilots and weapon system operators trying to visualize a common target.

"They've run into issues where it has taken hours to try to talk a weapon system operator onto a particular spot of interest," Ruder said. "In some cases they haven't been able to talk them on at all, and of course with time-sensitive targets, that's just not acceptable."

That communication is especially difficult in terrain that lacks man-made objects or reference points, Ruder said.

To help address this problem, Boeing is working to develop a helmet-mounted cueing system (HMCS) that would attach to a B-1 pilot's helmet and allow them to pass coordinates of a particular target on the ground -- simply by looking at it -- to the weapon system operator. The company, with cooperation from Air Force Global Strike Command, has demonstrated the capability in a laboratory environment and is planning a ground demonstration at Dyess Air Force Base, TX, in October or November.

"In the lab environment, we had to simulate a lot of that so this will be the first time we actually do a demonstration with the real aircraft and the real targeting pod," he said.

Ruder said along with enhancing the passage of targeting information, the HMCS brings added visualization to a platform that is starting to run out of room for displays. The company has experimented with adding a capability to the HMCS which would project a virtual display into the helmet. He said this capability would have benefits not just for the pilot but for the rest of the crew.

"If that's something the Air Force thinks is a capability that would be beneficial, they could put virtual displays up into their helmet-mounted cueing system to give them more information or give them the information they need at that particular time," he said. "So we're going to demonstrate that as well."

Ruder noted that the helmet could also have benefits for B-52 crewmembers as that platform also performs close-air-support missions. He said the company doesn't have plans to demonstrate HMCS on the B-52, but he noted that the Air Force's decision to move the B-1 to Global Strike Command creates more opportunities for B-1 capabilities to transfer to other platforms and vice versa.

Boeing is investing its own independent research and development dollars in the effort, but Ruder said the company has had discussions about transitioning the system to a program of record should the service decide to move forward following the ground demonstration. Should the Air Force choose not to invest in the system right away, Ruder said Boeing would likely continue with some low-level investment but not with the same emphasis it has now.

The program has seen some success with transitioning internal research and development (IRAD) efforts like this into formal programs, Ruder said, and he cited the B-1's targeting pod as an example. When the company first started investigating the possibility of adding a targeting pod to the B-1, the Air Force didn't view the aircraft as a close-air-support platform. Still, Boeing decided to invest, expecting that there would be a future need for the capability. When the Air Force did decide to pull the trigger, the technology was available off the shelf.

"The Air Force is focused on fighting the current battle and here in industry, what we can do is sometimes we can look out and look at what we think future capabilities are or future needs would be," he said.

Another area of investment aimed at enhancing the B-1's CAS mission is expanded weapons carriage -- both to increase the number of Joint Direct Attack Munitions the bomber can carry and to integrate the Small Diameter Bomb onto the platform. Right now, the B-1 can carry 24 2,000-pound JDAMS and 15 500-pound JDAMS, both weapons that are typically used for CAS missions. The company in 2010 demonstrated what it calls a two-position multiple ejector rack that would allow the B-1 to carry 48 500-pound JDAMs. The new rack would not increase the B-1's carriage capacity but it would allow the platform flexibility in which weapons it carries.

For now, the capability is on the shelf ready to be used should the Air Force recognize a need for it.

The B-1 does not currently carry the Small Diameter Bomb, but Boeing is exploring integration on the B-1, which could carry 96 SDBs.

"There's already a multiple ejector rack developed for the Small Diameter Bomb, which is used on the fighters," Ruder said. "All we would have to do is integrate that onto our rotary launcher and of course do the software to interface with it."

Ruder said there have been some studies looking at the complexity of SDB integration and that there is some interest from the Air Force, but cost is a constraint.

"With the fiscal environment that we're in, they have their hands full just fighting the current fight and keeping the airplane sustained," he said. -- Courtney Albon