J-2 Derivative Rocket Engines

Michel Van

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
in 1964 NASA start improve the performance of the J-2
first under projectname "J-2X" later rename to J-2S
they test fired Engine between 1965 and 1972, with in total of 30858 seconds burn time.

Major difference J-2 between J-2S are:
-the gas generator cycle to a tap-off cycle that supplied hot gas from a tap on the combustion chamber instead of a separate burner.
-simplification by removing parts from the engine.
-also reduced the difficulty of starting up the engine and properly timing various combuston.
-a throttling system for wider mission flexibility by variable mixture system to properly mix the fuel and oxygen

also had J-2S simplified and reduced cost for Saturn V production
it was planed that Second production run of Saturn V SA-518 to SA-526 use J-2S
but NASA canceled the Saturn production and Rocketdyne proposed J-2S for Space Shuttle program, Wat let to SSME

Data

J-2S Improvement Study Summary

J-2S Improvement Study, System Description

Comments on the J-2S engine impacting on the Satrun V program

Study of J-2S Engine impact on Saturn V launch operation

Attachments

• J2S.png
    J2S.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 84
Re: Rocketengine: J-2S

I may be suffering from deja vu, but I thought I just saw a thread on the J-2. Was it here? Or was it on NASASpaceflight.com? There was a lot more info in that thread on various proposed J-2 versions.

blackstar said:
I may be suffering from deja vu, but I thought I just saw a thread on the J-2. Was it here? Or was it on NASASpaceflight.com? There was a lot more info in that thread on various proposed J-2 versions.

you mean this one:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2881.msg126333.html#msg126333

other wise it's "the usual suspect" like NASASpaceflight.com or ForumAstronautico.it

That must be it. I forgot that that thread was not J-2 focused, but wandered over onto the subject of the J-2 from the Skylab topic. A dedicated J-2 thread makes more sense.

blackstar said:
That must be it. I forgot that that thread was not J-2 focused, but wandered over onto the subject of the J-2 from the Skylab topic. A dedicated J-2 thread makes more sense.

change topic to J-2 derivates, so we have now a dedicated J-2 thread