Rocket Torpedo Aircraft Projects

Re: Smogilev Projects

If the Goggle translation haven't led me completely wrong, that article is a summary of
different types of early attempts for guided weapons (bombs and torpedoes), some of them
where shown in the Popular Science magazine, as is stated. So, they probably aren't
"Smogilev projects", but Smogilev just was the author of the article.
But I would ask a native Russian speaker to be so kind and check this article.

The title says: "Guided projectile or air torpedo (according to foreign publications)". Captain S. Smogilev is the author.
It is a brief summary of different concepts of guided missiles/rockets.
Probably the most interesting information is at the very end:
"(...) we'll show some data of air torpedo, intended for attacking ground targets, proposed by a Soviet designer I.K. Upit in 1930. The torpedo is a biplane, equipped with a rocket type engine and guidance systems. Angle of aiming is adjusted by catapult elevation. Range of flight is limited by quantity of fuel. The torpedo carries a couple of bombs, time of releasing them is set by a burning Bickford fuse. Except of bombs, the torpedo carries a main HE charge, intended for destroing the target."

The torpedo is illustrated in the bottom right picture.

Regards

Grzesio

In my opinion it would be more prudent to number the pictures than to title them by a falsely attributed name, Smogilev is not the name of the torpedoes shown and once on the net the representation on the picture acquires a name given by mistake. Also, the torpedo (picture titled smogilev2) without catapult, is taken from a French patent, dated 9 September 1935, of a limited company "Armements et Matériels Modernes" Paris-France, but in September 1936 the inventor, Louis Gaston Sabathé, filed a patent in the USA which was officially registered in February 1939. The Sabathé device is a gliding anti-ship marine torpedo, dropped by plane at a certain distance from the ship to be torpedoed, so as to meet the water at a relatively short distance from the target. It has the same immersion devices as any other torpedo as well as the propulsion system to be activated as desired underwater according to the patent.

Attachments

• Sabathé Projectile.jpg
    Sabathé Projectile.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
The Sabathé device is a gliding anti-ship marine torpedo, dropped by plane at a certain distance from the ship to be torpedoed, so as to meet the water at a relatively short distance from the target. It has the same immersion devices as any other torpedo as well as the propulsion system to be activated as desired underwater according to the patent.
I take it, there is no description of guidance system?

The Sabathé device is a gliding anti-ship marine torpedo, dropped by plane at a certain distance from the ship to be torpedoed, so as to meet the water at a relatively short distance from the target. It has the same immersion devices as any other torpedo as well as the propulsion system to be activated as desired underwater according to the patent.
I take it, there is no description of guidance system?
Hi, the author in his patent did not describe the guidance system of the projectile.You will find attached the page of the patent in English and an attempt of translation into Russian.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 23
  • rustrans.jpg
    rustrans.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 30
Hi, the author in his patent did not describe the guidance system of the projectile.You will find attached the page of the patent in English and an attempt of translation into Russian.
Well, it seems that all author actually invented is a mechanism for quickly detaching the wing from the torpedo when it entered water. The whole system does not seems to be anything more than usual aerial torpedo with added wing atop it.

Probably better than 'drogue chute' approach, which could still lead to a 'premature' spout engulfing plane...

Well, it seems that all author actually invented is a mechanism for quickly detaching the wing from the torpedo when it entered water. The whole system does not seems to be anything more than usual aerial torpedo with added wing atop it.
I don't see what Smogilev saw so special in this torpedo to quote it in his article, however the biplane torpedo with jet engine of the Soviet inventor I. K. Upit in 1930, I find it interesting, I searched quickly on findpatent.ru without success, try it for me just to see what it is about.Thanks